Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you transfer a M4 AR15 16’’ to a 11.5’’ SBR? Or do u buy a lower than the upper and fill out form 1 or with ever form that does not have a trust. I can buy a 11.5’’ SBP upper for around four hundred and a complete lower for two fifty. Or buy a SBR from The AR Bunker for around thirteen hundred plus two hundred NFA stamp. If I bought a SBP and put the upper on my M4 lower that would be illegal. What is the easiest way to get or build a SBR?

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,889 Posts
IANAL, but

I believe you can fill out a form 1, have you existing lower engraved, and after approval put the SBR upper on your existing lower, but after doing so your existing lower will always be a registered NFA item.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
freeman101 said:
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s69/Donr101395/?action=view&current=ATFengravingletter.jpg

Looks like reading the above I would have my info engraved on it.
IF you are the one to "build" the SBR then you would have to engrave YOUR info on it.

You can take a regular rifle or pistol lower and do a Form 1 and once it is approved you can turn it into a SBR. i.e. add shorter barrel to the rifle or add a stock to the pistol.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Adam5 said:
...but after doing so your existing lower will always be a registered NFA item.
You can get the BATFE to remove it from the NFRTR. From that point on it will no longer be considered a SBR, though the serial number will remain in the database. You will be able to transfer it like a normal title I weapon. If you want to put it back into an NFA configuration, you'll have to pay the tax again and go through the whole process again.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,889 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Adam5 said:
...but after doing so your existing lower will always be a registered NFA item.
You can get the BATFE to remove it from the NFRTR. From that point on it will no longer be considered a SBR, though the serial number will remain in the database. You will be able to transfer it like a normal title I weapon. If you want to put it back into an NFA configuration, you'll have to pay the tax again and go through the whole process again.
I didn't know that. Thanks!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Go to the BATFE website and carfeully read through the requirements for Form 1. Please be mindful of constructive intent as well. Not a good idea to have a non-NFA receiver awaiting approved tax stamp while in possesion of a short upper at the same time. Went through this process just over a year ago and it is not difficult just abide by the law.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts