NFA Question

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by freeman101, Oct 15, 2010.

1. freeman101

freeman101 New Member

Can you transfer a M4 AR15 16’’ to a 11.5’’ SBR? Or do u buy a lower than the upper and fill out form 1 or with ever form that does not have a trust. I can buy a 11.5’’ SBP upper for around four hundred and a complete lower for two fifty. Or buy a SBR from The AR Bunker for around thirteen hundred plus two hundred NFA stamp. If I bought a SBP and put the upper on my M4 lower that would be illegal. What is the easiest way to get or build a SBR?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

IANAL, but

I believe you can fill out a form 1, have you existing lower engraved, and after approval put the SBR upper on your existing lower, but after doing so your existing lower will always be a registered NFA item.

3. freeman101

freeman101 New Member

4. freeman101

freeman101 New Member

5. rankhornjp

rankhornjp Active Member

IF you are the one to "build" the SBR then you would have to engrave YOUR info on it.

You can take a regular rifle or pistol lower and do a Form 1 and once it is approved you can turn it into a SBR. i.e. add shorter barrel to the rifle or add a stock to the pistol.

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You can get the BATFE to remove it from the NFRTR. From that point on it will no longer be considered a SBR, though the serial number will remain in the database. You will be able to transfer it like a normal title I weapon. If you want to put it back into an NFA configuration, you'll have to pay the tax again and go through the whole process again.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I didn't know that. Thanks!

8. Flatbad-hd

Flatbad-hd New Member

Go to the BATFE website and carfeully read through the requirements for Form 1. Please be mindful of constructive intent as well. Not a good idea to have a non-NFA receiver awaiting approved tax stamp while in possesion of a short upper at the same time. Went through this process just over a year ago and it is not difficult just abide by the law.