NFA history??

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Redbarron06, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Redbarron06

Redbarron06 New Member

I know the why, but I am looking for the who and the when. The original bill, where it started sponsers and co-sposners. Did it start in the house or the senate, how was the origianal bill ammendmend. I have done one search after another but can not seem to come up with accounts between introduction and it becoming law. Can anybody help me out here?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I did a term paper on the Federal Firearms Act and the National Firearms Act of the 1930s, when I was in college as a history major.
    But I don't think I followed the progress of the legislation through the legislative process in any great detail. My focus was more about what prompted the law, how the law changed the landscape of gun control in America, and the controversy (or lack thereof) about Congress' power to even pass such laws in the first place.

I do recall that the NRA was active in getting the bills modified to be less burdensome to sportsmen and people with legitimate purposes for guns. The NRA wasn't exactly jumping on the bandwagon and demanding federal gun control, but they were involved all along the way giving advice and suggestions about what words and phrases to use.

For example, the federal definition of a machinegun came from the NRA and one of its witnesses. Since the "gun expert" said a machinegun is one that fires more than one shot per "single function of the trigger" that's what became federal law.

4. Redbarron06

Redbarron06 New Member

I am basicly looking for who introduced it (Rep or Senator) and was the tax in the origianal drafting.

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I've read that early on in the legislative process it included handguns. :shock:

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member