Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been predicting Yemen. And it looks like another 30 year US client, and purveyor of despotism, is facing large scale protests. He's promised to not run again, but he's said that two times before.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/02/13 ... president/

Looks like Algeria is joining the parade. This comes after years of civil war when groups allied with the FLN have fought with conservative Muslim political parties that have left 200k dead in a civil war. So they have a choice between the people's democratic republic or the oppressed aligned with political Islam. Sounds like we should stay out of it.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/afric ... 27461.html

In Jordan, King Abdullah has fired his cabinet and replaced them. Still they protest. He is a very reliable US client, and less repressive than some of his neighbors. He, but started under his father, has allowed Palestinians to remain in refugee camps for generations, because giving them passports and assimilating them into Jordanian society would indicate that the ethnic cleansing of Palestine by Israel in '48 and '67 had been forgiven. Since a cast amount of oil from the gulf and southern Iraq passes through the country into the Mediterranean, it is unlikely the West will allow for democracy.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/th ... ions/6997/

Both Bahrain and Kuwait, rich with oil, have promised their citizens (not the 3/4 of the population that works as migrant labor) thousands per month to stave off protests.

I have also been hearing that Iran's pro-democracy folks put down in 2009 are coming back.

I have to wonder if Syria or Saudi will get caught up in this. I doubt the US will allow Saudi to collapse into democracy.

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
Meanwhile, Egypt's military just dissolved parliament and suspended the Constitution.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep and all of the ministers that Mubarak appointed before he left will remain in place as well. Obama is working hard to find a suitable replacement for Mubarak, despite his platitudes about democracy and regime change.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
bdee said:
Yep and all of the ministers that Mubarak appointed before he left will remain in place as well. Obama is working hard to find a suitable replacement for Mubarak, despite his platitudes about democracy and regime change.
What?

Obama in Egypt in 2009 said:
So let me be clear: no system of government can or should be imposed upon one nation by any other.
Well he also said this:

Obama in Egypt in 2009 said:
I have unequivocally prohibited the use of torture by the United States, and I have ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed by early next year.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/0 ... 11216.html

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't it be weird if he was saying one thing, and then behind the scenes doing something completely different?

You're right, that doesn't sound anything like Obama!

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
:lol: Obama has gone back on almost everything he ever said to get elected. Besides maybe healthcare, he told us about that.

Also, he told us he was going to fundamentally change America, he sure did try, but he sort of has gotten cut off at the knees.

If he wins again in 2012, we'll get to see just a little bit more of what kind of change he wants for the country, especially with a Democratically controlled Congress.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, you can find pictures of Nixon bowing to Emperor Hirohito and Mao
You can find pictures of Eisenhower boing to Charles DeGaulle.
You can find George W. Bush bowing to King Faisal and the Pope.
You can find Bush also holding hands with King Faisal

I wouldnt't read too much into it other than a sign of respect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts