Next purchase

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wsweeks2, Jun 21, 2007.

1. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I'm having a hard time deciding what my next choice will be. I have always wanted an AR 15 as well as a tactical shotgun, but I'm not sure which one to get next. Currently I own a Glock 23 and a Ruger Mark II target pistol.

I have never really been into long guns, and I'm not really sure which one I should get next.

Any input as to which one and/or why you would suggest said choice?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

The AR is more fun at the range !!! I bough tmine two weeks ago and love it. :righton:

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

4. M249

M249 New Member

No contest.

AR15

Now the hard part is deciding whether you are getting a 16" mid-length, SBR, M4gery, 20" KISS, yada, yada.

Beware the dreaded BRD. There is no known cure.

5. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

AR's are a lot more fun, but it depends on what you want to do. The AR is (to me) expensive to feed, while a shottie is cheaper and more affective as a house gun. AR +$800 plus...shottie +$280. I bought my shottie Mossberg 590 @ Dick's for $280 around Christmas...my Rock River from Tucker Gun...both great transactions, both great guns...wouldn't trade them for anything. Short term...get the shotgun...long term...get the AR.

6. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

You and I are going through the exact same dilemma. I've been pestering Rammstein all week for his opinions on various ARs I've found for sale while at the same time drooling over a Mossie 590 for home defense purposes. Dressed out, these are two really cool looking guns that you can't help but want to own.

Although I'll own one or both in the short term, the truth is I'll probably rarely ever shoot either one. As fun as I'm sure the AR is to shoot, I just don't have easy access to any outdoor ranges in my area and doubt I'd get much use out of the AR especially considering the severe lack of zombies in my area lately. The shottie definitely serves a more functional role in home defense and is more of a necessity than a toy but would still hopefully never get fired.

So, the question really is.....should we be practical and get the shottie or fulfill the GI Joe fantasy in all of us and buy the AR? Toy or tool?

Heck, I've got a workbench full of tools.....so I want a toy. AR for me!

:p :lol:

PS: somebody tell me why I shouldn't be looking at a Colt 6920?

7. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Because you should be looking at this oneinstead...

I'd love an AR, but I'm going for another shotgun first.

8. Bulldawg182

Cavediver.....you're an ANIMAL!!!! :roll: :lol: :shock:

9. M249

M249 New Member

Well, my AR is my home defense weapon.* Shotguns, at least at the range you'll experience in your home, don't scatter as much as folks seem to think.

I also might add, if Mr. Home Invader is wearing Kevlar, "Betty" doesn't care.

I say get 'em both, but you asked which to get next. :wink:

*I have thousands of rounds through the AR platform, so it's what I'm most experienced with. I've also lobbed a few dozen M203 rounds, but local and federal LEOs frown on using them for home defense.

10. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

I wouldn't want my shottie to scatter...I want all 8-9 from my TAP shell either COM or COH...same with a 1oz slug.

11. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

If you're shooting in a home defense situation, it's not gonna be far enough to scatter.

I, personally, would like all the shot to go through the intruder's head, without scattering.

12. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I was in a similar situation recently. I picked up my first 9mm and a mossy 500. That covers my "get a real carry gun" and my "home defense" needs. My next purchase will be an AK. Specially if a certain someone on these boards decides to sell his before the next gun show in my area rolls around! :wink:

13. Bulldawg182

After conferring with my brain trust here on GPDO, (thanks Ramm & M249), I made my "next purchase" this morning.

RRA Elite CAR A4

The only thing I added to the above specs was a chrome lined barrel.

14. M249

M249 New Member

Larry, You're pretty smart for a UGA fan :p

ETA: Go Jackets! :twisted:

Seriously, I think you will be pleased with your RRA. You're going to like it, but I think that you get rid of that "tactical carry handle" sooner rather than later ;)

Buy some good aluminum USGI mags and some Magpul anti-tilt followers. The green followers are ok, but the mags with the Magpuls are :censored:-hot.

15. Bulldawg182

LOL.....if I knew what a "anti-tilt follower" was, I bet I'd be wanting one too! :oops: I can see the learning curve here is going to be steep. :shock: So, what would be the better choice over the detachable tactical carry handle?

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Anti-tilt follower is the part in the magazine that is right above the spring that the cartridges sit on. The A-T followers basically have a longer underneath part that rides against the wall of the magazine so that the follower cannot tilt and screw up the feed.

Better choice over that carry handle?
    A Troy Industries BUIS (Back Up Iron Sight) and a Larue Tactical mount with either an EOtech or an Aimpoint.

Ya can't go wrong. :D

17. M249

M249 New Member

I like the way you think, Rammstein.

Magpul Anti-tilt Follower (Georgia Vendor). I bought the same ones in orange*, and I love 'em.

Instead of the Troy that Ramm mentioned, I picked up the LMT BUIS. Both are good products. The LMT BUIS can be found for less than the LMT price.

Enjoy BRD. There is no known cure. Now you're going to waste time over at a certain AR-15 site wading through piles of conflicting information. :D

*Color doesn't matter. I bought orange to make it easier to identify my mags during AR shoots.

18. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

That is unless they are wearing plates. The level III plates will stop up to 7.62x54mm. Then again most baddies don't wear body armor, let alone plates.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Not multiple times.