Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want some opinions on what to get next. I have a birthday comming soon and want another gun from my wife. I need to keep the price under $400. I was thinking of an AK, but decided that I don't want to add another caliber to keep on hand. I want to stay with a caliber that I already have, and I wan't something different, not something that everyone has in their safe. The calibers that I already have are .22LR, .380, 9mm, .223, 7.62x54R, and 7.65x53 (7.65Arg). I'm starting to think about a Walther P1/P38, Russian WASR .22, or tricking out a Ruger 10/22. I know everyone has a 10/22, but hopefully I can make mine different. I'm leaning more towards the Walther or WASR .22 over the 10/22, because again, I wan't something different. Here's what I have now.

S&W M&P 9mm full size
S/A XD-9 Tactical
Ruger MKIII .22
Walther PPK/S .380
Century Arms AR15 .223
1944 Mosin M44 7.62x54R
1891 Argentine Mauser 7.65x53
Hi-Point 9mm w/ATI stock and red dot sight.

Anything else that's different, $400, and in a caliber that I already have?

Thanks for your opinions,
Adam

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Buy a REAL Mosin.

Or two.

You could get two good condition, all-matched 91/30s for $400. And with the bayonet attached, they're nearly 6 feet long!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I actually stared at your list and your requirements for a bit.

I think the P38 and the pimped out 10/22 are your best bets given your requirements. I would lean towards the 10/22 since it's ammo cost is cheaper (easier to justify to the wife).

I mean, this is 480 bucks! You have to admit it's different and pretty darn cool. Walk up to the range with one of these 8)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=76028379

Of course, if it were me, I would give my wife an extra 250 bucks and ask her for a freaking Uzi. But I see nothing wrong with helping to pay for presents :lol:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=76086215

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would LOVE to get an UZI, but that wil have to wait a while. We are commin up an expensive few months. Family vacation, 3 day weekend in Vegas, advalorem on both cars, and tires for her Saab are all higher priorities.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You could get a Saiga in .223. It's a sporterized AK that can easily be converted to a pistol grip that can use hi-cap magazines. They're made in the same factory that makes the real Russian AKs. And it'd only be $260 or so. Another $100 in the conversion and you've got a sweet commie gun that's good for crowd control or plinking.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't want a Saiga, I used to have have one before getting my AR. I'm leaning towards the Walther P1 right now. I have plenty of time to change my mind a few times.

I don't want to hang a bunch of stuff off of my AR. I prefer using the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) mentality. I have thought about the .22 conversion kits, but my AR is a b***h to break apart and reassemble. I would rather not have to take a hammer and punch to the range with me so that I can change it back and forth.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Adam5 said:
I have thought about the .22 conversion kits, but my AR is a b***h to break apart and reassemble. I would rather not have to take a hammer and punch to the range with me so that I can change it back and forth.
Get the conversion kit. Three months later, you can figure out how to justify the parts to build the rest of an AR.22 :D

The WASR .22 would be pretty neat. Are parts reasonably available? If there is a mechanical failure will you be able to fix it? That's the only thing that would make me choose the 10/22 instead.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, please allow me to disregard most of your requirements and suggest a firearm that I think would serve your wife well..

I just got this LWS32 for MY wife, and it's small, light and concealable enough she can carry it almost anyplace, anytime..

In the past I've had the Beretta Tomcat, I have a KelTec P32, and NAA Guardian... My wife did not like any of these pistols for one reason or another. (The KT & NAA pistols are actually quite good.J)

I purchased a Seecamp LWS32 and brought it home and the minute she held it she said "now THIS is MY pistol"...

That wasn't going to happen, but I did get her a LWS32 for herself, and she is well pleased with it. She finally has a pistol she WILL carry concealed and having a pistol, even a mousegun, is the important thing.

This is one pistol that fits this forum title "GaPacking" to a tee...

Plinkers and larger caliber pistols are nice, I have some.. But nothing is more comforting than the little LWS32 in my back pocket anytime I'm away from home.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I don't see a shotgun in the bunch. How about a nice Benelli Nova 12 Ga.?

·
hu huh, you said "Member"
585 Posts
10/22's are great, and everyone should have at least one,

although I do think you need a Mosin 91/30 too. Can be had for $100 easily for a pretty decent one.

but yeah you need a scattergun man! I just got a Benelli Nova in 20ga and its great!! (more for my wife to bust clays, but it will be a great rabbit and squirrel gun for me too).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts