Next Purchase Thoughts Wanted

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I want some opinions on what to get next. I have a birthday comming soon and want another gun from my wife. I need to keep the price under $400. I was thinking of an AK, but decided that I don't want to add another caliber to keep on hand. I want to stay with a caliber that I already have, and I wan't something different, not something that everyone has in their safe. The calibers that I already have are .22LR, .380, 9mm, .223, 7.62x54R, and 7.65x53 (7.65Arg). I'm starting to think about a Walther P1/P38, Russian WASR .22, or tricking out a Ruger 10/22. I know everyone has a 10/22, but hopefully I can make mine different. I'm leaning more towards the Walther or WASR .22 over the 10/22, because again, I wan't something different. Here's what I have now.

S&W M&P 9mm full size
    S/A XD-9 Tactical
    Ruger MKIII .22
    Walther PPK/S .380
    Century Arms AR15 .223
    1944 Mosin M44 7.62x54R
    1891 Argentine Mauser 7.65x53
    Hi-Point 9mm w/ATI stock and red dot sight.

Anything else that's different, $400, and in a caliber that I already have?

Thanks for your opinions,
    Adam

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Buy a REAL Mosin.

Or two.

You could get two good condition, all-matched 91/30s for $400. And with the bayonet attached, they're nearly 6 feet long!

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Use that money to put some stuff on the AR.

4. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I actually stared at your list and your requirements for a bit.

I think the P38 and the pimped out 10/22 are your best bets given your requirements. I would lean towards the 10/22 since it's ammo cost is cheaper (easier to justify to the wife).

I mean, this is 480 bucks! You have to admit it's different and pretty darn cool. Walk up to the range with one of these 8)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=76028379

Of course, if it were me, I would give my wife an extra 250 bucks and ask her for a freaking Uzi. But I see nothing wrong with helping to pay for presents :lol:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=76086215

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I would LOVE to get an UZI, but that wil have to wait a while. We are commin up an expensive few months. Family vacation, 3 day weekend in Vegas, advalorem on both cars, and tires for her Saab are all higher priorities.

6. mmmTang

mmmTang Member

You could get a Saiga in .223. It's a sporterized AK that can easily be converted to a pistol grip that can use hi-cap magazines. They're made in the same factory that makes the real Russian AKs. And it'd only be $260 or so. Another $100 in the conversion and you've got a sweet commie gun that's good for crowd control or plinking.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

What that dude said. 8)

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I don't want a Saiga, I used to have have one before getting my AR. I'm leaning towards the Walther P1 right now. I have plenty of time to change my mind a few times.

I don't want to hang a bunch of stuff off of my AR. I prefer using the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) mentality. I have thought about the .22 conversion kits, but my AR is a b***h to break apart and reassemble. I would rather not have to take a hammer and punch to the range with me so that I can change it back and forth.

9. Cavediver

Cavediver Member

Get the conversion kit. Three months later, you can figure out how to justify the parts to build the rest of an AR.22 :D

The WASR .22 would be pretty neat. Are parts reasonably available? If there is a mechanical failure will you be able to fix it? That's the only thing that would make me choose the 10/22 instead.

10. Claire

Claire New Member

that is pretty! :D

[​IMG]

S&W M&P 9mm full size is the next purchase I'm leaning towards

but that is tempting too

I gotta get back to work - this is not good for my wallet

11. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

rofl

I second gsusnake's recommendation of buying two Mosins. If you don't like one, I'll take if off your hands. You won't even have to pay me. Well, some ammo might be nice...

12. PX

PX New Member

Well, please allow me to disregard most of your requirements and suggest a firearm that I think would serve your wife well..

I just got this LWS32 for MY wife, and it's small, light and concealable enough she can carry it almost anyplace, anytime..
    [​IMG]

In the past I've had the Beretta Tomcat, I have a KelTec P32, and NAA Guardian... My wife did not like any of these pistols for one reason or another. (The KT & NAA pistols are actually quite good.J)

I purchased a Seecamp LWS32 and brought it home and the minute she held it she said "now THIS is MY pistol"...

That wasn't going to happen, but I did get her a LWS32 for herself, and she is well pleased with it. She finally has a pistol she WILL carry concealed and having a pistol, even a mousegun, is the important thing.

This is one pistol that fits this forum title "GaPacking" to a tee...

Plinkers and larger caliber pistols are nice, I have some.. But nothing is more comforting than the little LWS32 in my back pocket anytime I'm away from home.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy
    [​IMG]

13. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

[​IMG]

Damned....is that a gun or a guitar?
    :lol: :lol:

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That's a work of art. That's what it is.

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

18. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I don't see a shotgun in the bunch. How about a nice Benelli Nova 12 Ga.?

19. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

10/22's are great, and everyone should have at least one,

although I do think you need a Mosin 91/30 too. Can be had for $100 easily for a pretty decent one.

but yeah you need a scattergun man! I just got a Benelli Nova in 20ga and its great!! (more for my wife to bust clays, but it will be a great rabbit and squirrel gun for me too).