NewYork/ New Jersey

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by C.H.U.D, Oct 17, 2010.

1. C.H.U.D

C.H.U.D New Member

I'm making my first trip to the Big Apple to "meet the parents". I know I can't carry in these states. I was wondering if anyone new what would be allowed. Pepper spray? Flashlight with a striking bezel Small knife? Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks

2. dunkel

dunkel New Member

3. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

Pepper spray is a problem since Gov. Pataki enacted laws requiring special labeling and control of sales. In order to purchase pepper spray:
    • You must be over the age of 18.
    • You must have no history of felony convictions or assaults.
    • Product must be purchased from an authorized dealer, pharmacy or gun dealer in NYS.
    • You must complete a form with your name, address, birth date and signature.
    • You can’t bring a spray from another state into New York.
    • You can’t buy it online.
    • You can’t give it to a minor.

In NYC from what I recall living there, pretty much any knife with a blade that locks back is considered a "gravity feed" knife and is illegal. You might want to check it out, but that is what I remember. You don't have a lot of options in NYC, other than perhaps a sharp pen knife :lol:

4. the279

the279 New Member

Thanks a God we leave NY several years
    ago ....... Too many rules !!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The big thing to remember about New York State is that you cannot even possess a handgun, even unloaded and locked in the trunk of your car. You need a NYS permit for that. (Since you're visiting the state and not passing through on your way somewhere else, the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 doesn't apply here.)

I lived in NYS (far from NYC) for years, and many people carried chemical defense sprays even before they were authorized by state law. I don't recall anyone ever being arrested for it. Maybe having their sprays confiscated at courthouses or the airport. I don't think regular people in the state are likely to panic, call the cops on you. I don't think any cop would make it an issue unless they were forced to deal with it for other reasons. (Just my bare non-legal, non-lawyerly opinion).

Knives in NYS? I don't recall what the legal answer is, but in practice many people carry small folding knives-- pocket knives (both lock-back and non-locking). It should not be an issue in real-life, unless you get in trouble for other reasons. It's probably illegal if the knive has a blade over 2" or something like that. But probably nobody will care unless you slice the throat of some homeless guy for asking you for a dollar. Then they'll throw the book at you.

P.S. Don't bake any bread in the shape of a gun. That's a crime in New York State. No baked goods that resemble firearms.

6. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

And remember, other than federal LEOs or active/retired LEOs from other states that have or did have statutory arrest powers prior to retirement, carrying under LEOSA, New York City does not recognize firearms permits issued by any other jurisdiction other than itself.

When it comes to weapons laws, New York City is way more restrictive than New York State. As a 36 year former NYC resident, gun owner and hunter, I can assure you that there are many members of the NYPD that will be more than happy to arrest an out of state legal firearms owner for weapons violations.

This also includes weapons violations by individuals possessing pistol permits issued by the State of New York. In order for an NYS upstate licensee to lawfully carry a handgun in New York City, he/she must first make application with the New York City Police Department to have their permit "validated." An investigation will be conducted to determine the authenticity of the license, after which a "needs assessment" will be conducted to determine whether the applicant has sufficiently demonstrated a "need" to possess a handgun under the circumstances provided. The simple desire to possess a handgun while in New York City, without some other extenuating circumstances, will not serve to present a "need" suitable to receive authorization. In cases where "need" is sufficiently demonstrated, permission will be given, usually for a specific period of time, after which the process would start over again.

Bottom line: If you are not a LEO and don't possess a pistol or rifle/shotgun permit issued by the New York City Police Department, you cannot POSSESS (let alone carry) a pistol, shotgun or rifle in the City of New York.

Also, it is illegal to own or possess an electronic "stun gun" or "taser" in the City of New York. So that is out too.....

7. galvatron

galvatron Member

Here's the simple answer from another previous NY resident. Leave all your cool toys home, and hope for the best.

8. smn

smn Active Member

Wait a while and Mishaga v Monken will be in our favor and then applied to all states. It's only a formality we have to challenge the law.

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

*Removed*

Why do our rights cease to exist in NYC?

10. C.H.U.D

C.H.U.D New Member

Thanks guys. I think this is the best thing I can do

11. fran

fran New Member

I left NYC 28 years ago when I joined the Navy. You could not pay me enough to go live there again. It is such a different mentality. I always tell people I was not born in the south, but I got down here as soon as I could. My friends still say "you are still nothing but a damn yankee". Good luck on your trip I hope you have fun. Whenever I visit my family in NYC or NJ, every time I am out on the streets or especially the subway, I REALLY WISH I had my gun with me.

12. RickN

RickN New Member

I should invent a gun shaped like a bagel and throw the state into chaos.

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

A gun shaped like a bagel would be a federal offense per the National Firearms Act (NFA), unless it was Manufactured on a Form 1 and registered as an "Any Other Weapon" (AOW). $200 tax stamp to make it, but then you can transfer it for $5.

A bagel shaped like a gun would violate only New York law, not federal law.

14. RickN

RickN New Member

OK, I hate explaining a joke, but....

I invent the .45 Round Gun that is circular with a hole in it and sell millions of them to gun owners everywhere.

All of a sudden, New York realizes all of it's bakers are now making bread in the shape of the new, amazingly popular Round Gun firearm and violating state law. The National Guard is called in to quell the Bagel Riots of 2012 when the bakers are forced to stop making bagels.

Chaos ensues. I chortle heartily as sales of the Round Gun skyrocket making me a gazzillionaire.

15. gixxer750

gixxer750 Member

When we used to live in NY, we have been car jacked once, house robbed twice, and mugged twice. lol

16. lespaulplayer

lespaulplayer New Member

Lived on Long Island up until a few years ago and I never had any problems. Maybe I was just lucky but it didn't happen to any of my friends either. I am on Long Island right now visiting my fiancee and there is one thing that I did miss, the food. It's the best. I do miss my firearms though..

17. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

+1

18. galvatron

galvatron Member

Because NYC says so. They do exist, but NYC makes everywhere else in NY look like a shall issue state. NYC just adds addtional obstacles.

Just for a chuckle take a look at the fees, then consider your GWL is about $80.... and only involves a trip to the local probate court and maybe the local LEO for prints...
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permi ... _faq.shtml

This is one of my favorite reasons for denial
    "If your investigation results in a determination that you lack character and fitness for a license or permit, your application will be denied."

19. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

Check out the NYPD application the FAQ page links you to.

Provide fingerprints, birth certificate, proof of citizenship, DD 214.

Room to list the make, model, and SN of every handgun you are applying for. There is room for 2.

Have you ever been discharged from any employment?

Not only does anyone have a protective order against you, but do you have one against someone else?

All residences and employment for last 5 years.

Name and address of a NY state resident who will safeguard the weapon in the event of your death or disability, and the person must sign a statement of acknowledgement, with a signed witness.

A notarized affidavit that you are familiar with all weapons laws and regulations.

A notarized statement from any co-habitant that they are aware and approve of you obtaining a weapon.

While you have a permit, you must report (and prove) any change of residence or change of employment within 10 days.

Oy vey.

20. RickN

RickN New Member

That explains why politicians have to have bodyguards. :)