Newspapers Surrender to Drug Cartels

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by gunsmoker, Sep 20, 2010.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Today I read on AJC.com (Atlanta Journal and Constitution) that the biggest newspaper in a major Mexican city plagued by drug violence has surrendered to the drug cartels, and is asking the drug lords for a list of rules for what it can and cannot publish so that it will no longer be targeted for violence and its reporters no longer assassinated.

QUOTE from THAT NEWSPAPER (what the Mexican paper published to its readers in its plea for mercy):

"Leaders of the different organizations that are fighting for control of Ciudad Juarez: The loss of two reporters from this publishing house in less than two years represents an irreparable sorrow for all of us who work here, and, in particular, for their families," the editorial said. "We ask you to explain what you want from us, what we should try to publish or not publish, so we know what to expect."

MY COMMENT:
    The Second Amendment is what supports the rest. Thanks to a gun control scheme in Mexico that only disarms the law-abiding Mexicans but leaves criminals free to obtain any weapons they want, the criminals are winning. And now the rights of free speech and a free press are being surrendered to appease the thugs.

2. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

it was bound to happen sooner than later. I thought jounalists accepted the fact that their jobs could involve high risk situations.. if you didn't approve of that then why be a journalist... As for the cartels not sure why they do the unnecessary killing that they do besides making statements to people. Chalk this up for another reason why Mexico is about to become poorer thanit already is once the tourism bottoms out. My wife spoke to a travel agent the other day. we got offered a 7 day trip, air fair, food, adult beverages, tickets to surrounding attractions with a room on the beach for $800 person... we declined. They keep saying that the resorts are safe, but I read a report where the cartel tossed hand grenades into a resort killing several. Theres still several places in the states I've not seen, I'll see those first...

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

And now a Mexican detective who was working on the case of the murdered American guy who was shot off his jet-ski in Falcon Lake on the Mexican side of the water a few weeks ago has himself been assasinated. His head was delivered to a local Mexican Army base in a box early this morning.

I guess the narco-traffickers were involved all along. Maybe they wanted that jet-ski to smuggle drugs with?

Anyhow, I cannot understand why any American would set foot in Mexico anywhere at any time, much less at an uncontrolled border crossing known to be located in an area full of drug gangs and smugglers, where there is no effective police presence, no law and order, on the Mexican side.

4. sirkut

sirkut Member

I know some people ignore signs like this:
    [​IMG]

5. rle737ng

rle737ng Member

Either our so called "Government" stands up for our sovereignty, or we need to replace it with one that will.

6. GFLinTX

GFLinTX New Member

So I've been at my new home in El Paso for about three days now. As a member of the military, I'm not allowed to visit Juarez or any of the Mexican states along our border, but due to the mountainous nature of El Paso, you can get a good view from the Ciudad from pretty much anywhere. Including up on this scenic mountain drive I found the other day that offers a great view of downtown El Paso and all of Juarez.

And let me just say, from up there, it is amazing how outright DIRTY Juarez looks. I've been to LA, NYC, Mexico City, Gary IN, and it just doesn't compare. You look out over El Paso and it doesn't look too bad. The air looks relatively clean and such. And then you scan along to Juarez, and it's just this nasty black, yellow smog over the entire city. If you have binos, all you will see in Juarez is crosses and shantytowns. I'm not sure I'd go there even if I was allowed, and even if there wasn't a risk of getting my head cut off. It's disgusting looking.

7. seereus

seereus Active Member

Coming soon to a city near you.