News on the Car Carry Bill

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by pro2am, Feb 12, 2007.

1. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Edited to add: You can leave comments on this article at the AJC web-site, just scroll to the bottom of the article...another opportunity to voice "our" views!

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared ... _disc.html

House will discuss concealed weapons bill

By Jeremy Redmon | Monday, February 12, 2007, 07:36 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A proposed law that would allow motorists to conceal firearms in their cars has cleared a key legislative committee and is on its way to Georgia’s House of Representatives for a vote as soon as Monday.

Critics say House Bill 89 would endanger police making traffic stops. Proponents say the measure would protect their Second Amendment right to bear arms.

State law now requires motorists who do not have handgun permits to keep their firearms “fully exposed to view†or in the glove box, console or similar compartment.

State Rep. Tim Bearden’s (R-Villa Rica) bill would allow people to hide guns under seats or wedge them between seats cushion and consoles.

After a brief debate Saturday, the Rules Committee recommended the House pass the bill. Several lawmakers peppered Bearden with probing questions during a hearing before the committee vote.

“Over the weekend our law enforcement officials approached me about this bill and they expressed their concern for the safety for their officers if we do pass such a measure,†said House Minority Whip Carolyn Hugley (D-Columbus). “And they asked that we carefully consider doing this in light of the more dangerous position we would put officers in as they approach vehicles.â€

Bearden attempted to deflect Hugley’s criticism.

“Once again we have to make sure we understand this is for law-abiding citizens that will not pose a danger to our lawn enforcement officers,†Bearden said of his bill. “This is protecting the citizens who [have] the right to protect themselves in their homes. And the car is an extension of their homes.â€

Another lawmaker asked Bearden if more safeguards could be added to his bill for children.

“Are there any protections for the children at all?†asked Rep. Judy Manning (R-Marietta). “Could you make the proposition a little stronger as far as safety locks or anything like that?â€

Bearden contended his bill would make it for safer for youngsters traveling in cars with firearms.

“The person already has the right to have the gun in plain view on the front seat or on the dash,†Bearden said. “But we are allowing the citizen to put it in a more secure place in the vehicle to make sure that child does not get a hold of the firearm. I think that is a safety aspect in itself.â€

Bearden’s measure is one of several gun-related bills now pending in the Legislature.

A second bill now in the House Rules Committee would ban police officers, National Guardsmen and others from confiscating guns during a state of emergency such as a hurricane. And a third proposal pending in the House Non Civil Judiciary Committee and in the Senate would prohibit certain public and private employers from barring workers from keeping firearms in locked vehicles at employee parking lots or garages.

2. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Safety locks on guns in cars...protect the children...oh the humanity of it all. :roll:

P.S. - We need a smiley that pulls its head out of its ass.

3. pro2am

pro2am New Member

The good news is that most of the comments seem to be pro. Now I don't know if thats because all the members here went and posted, regardless, it's good to see so many people tell the AJC and other Liberal posters that they need to get a clue.

4. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Check out the print edition of the AJC

If anyone gets a chance...check out the front page of the print edition of the AJC today. In big headlines it reads, "[b]House OK's Guns in Cars[/b]"

Hows that for misleading.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Read beyond the front page headline, too!

Somebody get me a copy of this letter.

6. Malum Prohibitum

We strongly support Georgians' rights to keep and bear arms, unless of course the General Assembly wants to decriminalize anything dealing with actually keeping or bearing.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Chief - a person who sits behind a desk and hasn't made a traffic stop in years.

:roll:

Anyway, there is some good news.

Remember the lady with the cats eye glasses? As far as I can tell, she is "Georgians for Gun Safety."

Wow! :shock: She sure got a lot of ink.

No mention of GCO. :|

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/ ... gguns.html

8. Malum Prohibitum

I wonder if it has ever occurred to her that it is already illegal to have a gun anywhere in a car during a felony stop?

9. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

I posted. Thanks much for the link.

10. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I'm speechless....no....dumbfounded is a better description. :shakehead:

11. Malum Prohibitum

Just as in your own home or business no license is needed to carry. Obviously, we should make a license mandatory for the home or place of business. Let's face it, this lady does not want a gun in your car whether you have a license or not. Keep in mind that she was also present to testify AGAINST the bill that would prevent gun seizures during a time of emergency (testimony on the same day).

Read the article at the link.
    http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/ ... gguns.html

It really angers me that the AJC published all this hysteria with questions over "Why is this bill needed?" when I thought GCO spoke very clearly as to precisely why this bill was needed.

Why should someone go to jail simply because some portion of her gun is not showing to all observers?

:?

12. Malum Prohibitum

Meet the Executive Board!

13. Malum Prohibitum

http://www.gachiefs.com/ContactUs.htm

14. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Was that in the original article? :rotfl:

15. Malum Prohibitum

Their page on legislative alerts.

Apparently, they are not too fond of the Katrina Bill, either. These guys like the ability to seize weapons in violation of the law and not even have to pay attorney fees when they refuse to give the gun back and you have to sue (and win), paying thousands of dollars in fees to get your $400 gun returned. They put in bold letters "personal liability against officers."

Yeah, well, imagine that. I have a clue: Don't seize them!

They also want to be able to throw you in jail when your license expires and the probate court is taking six months to issue your new one and refused to issue you a temporary in violation of the law and you get stopped on the way to dropping your kid off at school.

I wonder if they even realize what they advocate?

16. pro2am

pro2am New Member

According to their legislative alerts, the comments regarding the car carry bill are:

I am aware that our membership has differing views about the right to carry firearms. However, if this bill becomes law it appears your patrol officers will have increased safety concerns especially during traffic stops.

What are the ramifications if an officer uses deadly force during a traffic stop because the officer believes someone in the vehicle is pulling out a concealed weapon?

17. Malum Prohibitum

What does that mean?

Change a couple of words:

What are the ramifications if an officer uses deadly force during a pedestrian stop because the officer believes someone on the sidewalk is pulling out a concealed weapon?

18. Malum Prohibitum

Worth reiterating . . .

19. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I stole from you MP. I hope you don't mind.

My comment to the Ga Chiefs:

I doubt I'll recieve any reply but If so I'll post it.

20. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I wonder if it has ever occurred to her that it is already illegal to have a gun anywhere in a car during a felony stop?[/quote:14t7qaoe]

MP you probably missed it during HB 6 when Franklin referred to her as the woman against gun ownership.