Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edited to add: You can leave comments on this article at the AJC web-site, just scroll to the bottom of the article...another opportunity to voice "our" views!

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared ... _disc.html

House will discuss concealed weapons bill

By Jeremy Redmon | Monday, February 12, 2007, 07:36 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A proposed law that would allow motorists to conceal firearms in their cars has cleared a key legislative committee and is on its way to Georgia’s House of Representatives for a vote as soon as Monday.

Critics say House Bill 89 would endanger police making traffic stops. Proponents say the measure would protect their Second Amendment right to bear arms.

State law now requires motorists who do not have handgun permits to keep their firearms “fully exposed to view†or in the glove box, console or similar compartment.

State Rep. Tim Bearden’s (R-Villa Rica) bill would allow people to hide guns under seats or wedge them between seats cushion and consoles.

After a brief debate Saturday, the Rules Committee recommended the House pass the bill. Several lawmakers peppered Bearden with probing questions during a hearing before the committee vote.

“Over the weekend our law enforcement officials approached me about this bill and they expressed their concern for the safety for their officers if we do pass such a measure,†said House Minority Whip Carolyn Hugley (D-Columbus). “And they asked that we carefully consider doing this in light of the more dangerous position we would put officers in as they approach vehicles.â€

Bearden attempted to deflect Hugley’s criticism.

“Once again we have to make sure we understand this is for law-abiding citizens that will not pose a danger to our lawn enforcement officers,†Bearden said of his bill. “This is protecting the citizens who [have] the right to protect themselves in their homes. And the car is an extension of their homes.â€

Another lawmaker asked Bearden if more safeguards could be added to his bill for children.

“Are there any protections for the children at all?†asked Rep. Judy Manning (R-Marietta). “Could you make the proposition a little stronger as far as safety locks or anything like that?â€

Bearden contended his bill would make it for safer for youngsters traveling in cars with firearms.

“The person already has the right to have the gun in plain view on the front seat or on the dash,†Bearden said. “But we are allowing the citizen to put it in a more secure place in the vehicle to make sure that child does not get a hold of the firearm. I think that is a safety aspect in itself.â€

Bearden’s measure is one of several gun-related bills now pending in the Legislature.

A second bill now in the House Rules Committee would ban police officers, National Guardsmen and others from confiscating guns during a state of emergency such as a hurricane. And a third proposal pending in the House Non Civil Judiciary Committee and in the Senate would prohibit certain public and private employers from barring workers from keeping firearms in locked vehicles at employee parking lots or garages.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
pro2am said:
“Are there any protections for the children at all?†asked Rep. Judy Manning (R-Marietta). “Could you make the proposition a little stronger as far as safety locks or anything like that?â€
Safety locks on guns in cars...protect the children...oh the humanity of it all. :roll:

P.S. - We need a smiley that pulls its head out of its ass.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The good news is that most of the comments seem to be pro. Now I don't know if thats because all the members here went and posted, regardless, it's good to see so many people tell the AJC and other Liberal posters that they need to get a clue.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check out the print edition of the AJC

If anyone gets a chance...check out the front page of the print edition of the AJC today. In big headlines it reads, "[b]House OK's Guns in Cars[/b]"

Hows that for misleading.

·
68,974 Posts
Read beyond the front page headline, too!

The 565-member Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police opposes the bill.

"Our association and its members strongly support Georgians' Second Amendment rights," Frank V. Rotondo, the association's executive director, wrote in a letter to lawmakers Monday. "However, the effect of this bill would extend those rights to an absurd level and have the ultimate effect of occasioning more killings of both police officers, and innocent civilians."
Somebody get me a copy of this letter.

·
68,974 Posts
We strongly support Georgians' rights to keep and bear arms, unless of course the General Assembly wants to decriminalize anything dealing with actually keeping or bearing.

·
68,974 Posts
Chief - a person who sits behind a desk and hasn't made a traffic stop in years.

:roll:

Anyway, there is some good news.

In the Senate, President Pro Tem Eric Johnson (R-Savannah) said the bill stands a good chance of approval there. "Government does not tell a private citizen where they can keep a gun in their home. They should not be able to tell a law-abiding citizen where they can keep a gun in their own personal vehicle."
Remember the lady with the cats eye glasses? As far as I can tell, she is "Georgians for Gun Safety."

Georgians for Gun Safety also opposes the measure, citing statistics that 575 police officers were killed in the line of duty across the country between 1996 and 2005. Of those, 102 were killed during traffic violation stops and felony traffic stops, according to the federal Department of Justice. The federal report does not specify whether guns were involved in those incidents.

State law prohibits people under 21, drug dealers and other felons from obtaining concealed gun licenses. And people applying for the licenses must submit to fingerprinting and criminal background checks.

Alice Johnson, executive director of Georgians for Gun Safety, said Bearden's bill "erases the distinction that currently exists between someone who can purchase a firearm ... and those who can pass the comprehensive background check to get a concealed weapons permit."

"Many people are turned down for those permit applications because of something in their background that was identified because of that more comprehensive background check," Johnson said.
Wow! :shock: She sure got a lot of ink.

No mention of GCO. :|

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/ ... gguns.html

·
68,974 Posts
Alice Johnson said:
. . . 575 police officers were killed in the line of duty across the country between 1996 and 2005. Of those, 102 were killed during traffic violation stops and felony traffic stops, according to the federal Department of Justice. The federal report does not specify whether guns were involved in those incidents.
I wonder if it has ever occurred to her that it is already illegal to have a gun anywhere in a car during a felony stop?

·
68,974 Posts
Alice Johnson, executive director of Georgians for Gun Safety, said Bearden's bill "erases the distinction that currently exists between someone who can purchase a firearm ... and those who can pass the comprehensive background check to get a concealed weapons permit."

"Many people are turned down for those permit applications because of something in their background that was identified because of that more comprehensive background check," Johnson said.
Just as in your own home or business no license is needed to carry. Obviously, we should make a license mandatory for the home or place of business. Let's face it, this lady does not want a gun in your car whether you have a license or not. Keep in mind that she was also present to testify AGAINST the bill that would prevent gun seizures during a time of emergency (testimony on the same day).

Read the article at the link.
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/ ... gguns.html

It really angers me that the AJC published all this hysteria with questions over "Why is this bill needed?" when I thought GCO spoke very clearly as to precisely why this bill was needed.

Why should someone go to jail simply because some portion of her gun is not showing to all observers?

:?

·
68,974 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Read beyond the front page headline, too!

The 565-member Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police opposes the bill.

"Our association and its members strongly support Georgians' Second Amendment rights," Frank V. Rotondo, the association's executive director, wrote in a letter to lawmakers Monday. "However, the effect of this bill would extend those rights to an absurd level and have the ultimate effect of occasioning more killings of both police officers, and innocent civilians."
Somebody get me a copy of this letter.
Meet the Executive Board!

·
68,974 Posts
Their page on legislative alerts.

Apparently, they are not too fond of the Katrina Bill, either. These guys like the ability to seize weapons in violation of the law and not even have to pay attorney fees when they refuse to give the gun back and you have to sue (and win), paying thousands of dollars in fees to get your $400 gun returned. They put in bold letters "personal liability against officers."

Yeah, well, imagine that. I have a clue: Don't seize them!

They also want to be able to throw you in jail when your license expires and the probate court is taking six months to issue your new one and refused to issue you a temporary in violation of the law and you get stopped on the way to dropping your kid off at school.

I wonder if they even realize what they advocate?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
According to their legislative alerts, the comments regarding the car carry bill are:

I am aware that our membership has differing views about the right to carry firearms. However, if this bill becomes law it appears your patrol officers will have increased safety concerns especially during traffic stops.

What are the ramifications if an officer uses deadly force during a traffic stop because the officer believes someone in the vehicle is pulling out a concealed weapon?

·
68,974 Posts
What are the ramifications if an officer uses deadly force during a traffic stop because the officer believes someone in the vehicle is pulling out a concealed weapon?
What does that mean?

Change a couple of words:

What are the ramifications if an officer uses deadly force during a pedestrian stop because the officer believes someone on the sidewalk is pulling out a concealed weapon?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I stole from you MP. I hope you don't mind.

My comment to the Ga Chiefs:

I would like to voice my displeasure at the recent comments by Frank Rotondo in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in reference to House Bill 89 and your comments under the “legislative alerts†section of your website.

From the AJC:

How can your members call this Bill anything other than a very minor attempt at restoring a portion of the Second Amendment rights which US citizens have been stripped of in the past 80 years?!
How can you possibly feel that this Bill will result in ANY additional threat to the law enforcement officers in this state?
How many of your 565 members have actually read what this Bill does?
How many of your members know what is currently legal in regards to gun carry in a vehicle?

Let me enlighten you.
This Bill will allow LAW ABIDING CITIZENS to carry a weapon anywhere in their vehicle that they like. Currently a law abiding citizen must keep a firearm in plain site, lying openly on a seat of the vehicle or on the dash (which is in itself dangerous as the weapon is not properly secured), or closed away in a glove box or center console. Currently under Georgia law any person with a valid Georgia Firearms License can already keep their gun anywhere they like in a vehicle. The ONLY thing this will do is allow law abiding, but non GFL holder, to keep their weapon in a location that can be safely controlled but still accessible if needed.

How can this further endanger our law enforcement officers?
Is it your opinion that because, under this Bill, a person could keep a gun under their seat instead of in their glove box that a person will now be more inclined to fire upon an officer?? Again this Bill will only apply to a LAW ABIDING CITIZEN. Have you considered the fact that any person that would commit a capital offense (firing on or killing a LEO) is not really going to be overly concerned about committing a misdemeanor offense by keeping a gun somewhere the law says they can’t?

From your Legislative Alerts page:
“What are the ramifications if an officer uses deadly force during a traffic stop because the officer believes someone in the vehicle is pulling out a concealed weapon?â€

I often keep my wallet in my center console. What is to keep an officer from thinking I am reaching for my gun instead of my ID in that situation? Let me re-word your comment and ask your opinion:

“What are the ramifications if an officer uses deadly force during a pedestrian stop because the officer believes someone on the sidewalk is pulling out a concealed weapon?â€

I refute your opinion of this Bill ladies and gentleman and I question how your information is disseminated to its members. If the only details your membership receives are those which appear on the “Legislative Alerts†page then I recommend you find someone else to comment on those pieces of legislation because the person(s) currently responsible are not doing a very good job of passing on what is actually being put forth on them.
I doubt I'll recieve any reply but If so I'll post it.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
[quote="Alice Johnson":14t7qaoe] . . . 575 police officers were killed in the line of duty across the country between 1996 and 2005. Of those, 102 were killed during traffic violation stops and felony traffic stops, according to the federal Department of Justice. The federal report does not specify whether guns were involved in those incidents.
I wonder if it has ever occurred to her that it is already illegal to have a gun anywhere in a car during a felony stop?[/quote:14t7qaoe]

MP you probably missed it during HB 6 when Franklin referred to her as the woman against gun ownership.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts