newish Decatur Member

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by Montieth, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Montieth

Montieth New Member

I've posted off and on, go into lurk mode and post some more. Here's my official intro...

I'm a resident of Decatur, (Oak Grove really) and I've had a CCW permit for 11 years. Guns longer and armored cars for since about 2001.

2. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Welcome aboard!

I wonder if the GA public gathering clause excludes you from rolling your armored car into the parking lot at a chuck-e-cheese?

Cool vehicle, lol!

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Welcome to GPDO Montieth!

4. Montieth

Montieth New Member

Dunno, but cops tend to be VERY polite to me. Oddest encounter was two Decatur cops that did some sort of half assed felony stop. Checked everything out but when I was climbing out of the turret (I had already climbed part way out the front hatch but they told me to get out via the turret so I climbed back in) I realized they were both hiding in their cars. :lol: Probably waiting for the turret to swivel or something... ;-)

Anyhow, they ran my license, ran my CCW permit, ran the SN on my gun, asked me if it was registered, :roll: "umm, not to tell you your job officer, but this is Georgia, gun registration is technically illegal..." "umm, well, I mean has it been run for being stolen?" "Not that I know of...I bought it from a lawyer friend of mine so I'd be surprised if it WERE stolen, what with the whole officer of the court thing..."

Eventually they let me go but were AMAZINGLY polite and very standoffish. Its actually kind of fun. I called the station later on and asked the Duty Sgt about the two Greenhorns, she said they were green and asked how I knew, I described their method of stopping the tank and she laughed....I suspect they got ribbed at the next row call.... :lol:

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

lol

That's a pretty good story.

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Welcome to GPDO !!!

I bet that people don't cut you off in traffic and give you the finger while you're driving that.

7. Montieth

Montieth New Member

Actaully, Volvos seem to think they're invincible. I've been cut off a few times by them. No finger though.

I suspect I'll probably t-bone someone one of these days because they think they can ignore rights of way and lights. Ferrets don't stop fast, they stop but at 4 tons....it takes some oomph from the driver. :wink:

8. Dadx4

Dadx4 New Member

Welcome aboard Montieth! Glad to have you here. :welcome:

BTW, do you rent out that armored car? There are a few people I see everyday at morning rush that could use a close encounter with that beauty :lol:

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I wonder how fast you would have to be going to dent that thing. Just thinking of the modern mostly fiberglass cars and how big of a fender bender would it take to actually bend that things fender.

<crash>Montieth says: You scratched my fender.
    Volvo: MY CAR!! ITS DESTROYED!!
    Montieth says absently as if not paying attention to what Volvo guy is yelling: Oh never mind... it just rubs right off.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Are you accusing me of being a thief? :x

11. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

:welcome: and I'm not messing with you. :lol:

12. Montieth

Montieth New Member

Actually, I would have preferred to ask him if his gun had been run for being stolen or not. And just pointedly asked if his Backup piece had been checked too.

Still, I figured polite and relaxed was better to enjoy it all rather than getting confrontational. Of course as I said, I did contradict him politely on the whole "is your gun registered thing" which I suspect was him trying to throw me off guard which didn't work. :wink:

They were both so green I could smell the grass clippings. The whole half assed felony stop was just funny. After all, if you're going to stop what you see is a tank, that has a turret and a machine gun, and you're afraid of it, why are you bothering to do so? Hiding in your car behind some glass isn't going to do a damn bit of good. If the tank pulls over and stops and the driver is half out of the vehicle, go ahead and walk over because he's not going to be a problem in the first place.

13. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

So you are telling me......

that if I mount a turret with .50 BMG on the family SUV I might get some respect from the local constabulary and the civies on the interstate????? :lol:

Seeing your pictures reminded me of a film that I saw as a kid that was filmed in Georgia called "Tank". I think the tank that was used was a Sherman. The movie was kind of a Smokey and the Bandit meets A Bridge to Far.

14. Sharky

Sharky New Member

howdy and one very nice ride you have there.

15. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

GAGunOwner, You were close. You should have used the IMG button instead of the URL button.

16. Montieth

Montieth New Member

That's my Ferret. I wonder where that is. Can't tell if it's parked or I'm cruising by.