Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new here. Thanks everybody for all the great information and opinions!

I'm new to CC, just got my license (after an 8 month wait! City of Atl, model efficiency. :roll: ) Anywho, I'm looking for a comfortable holster to carry my Springfield EMP. Being that it is headed for the colder months, I figured I'd go for an OWB that rides high, as I'm sure it will be more comfortable than IWB (which I'll probably do in the warmer months). I'd prefer to stay CC, not quite ready for OC.

So, my question is this: Knowing a lot of it is personal preference, can somebody explain why I'd want a cant, the benefits thereof, and weather or not a straight draw would be better? Is one more concealable than the other?

Your help is most appreciated.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,888 Posts
. A canted (angled) holster can keep the butt of the gun from poking out behind you, making it easier to conceal. How much cant can depend on where you plan on wearing it. Most people want more cant as it moves farther back on your hip.

I like a 15 degree cant (FBI cant) at about 4:00, on the back of my hip.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,312 Posts
What Adam5 just said. :goodpost:

I would add that a good stiff, thick belt is important for a high-riding concealment holster.
Most modern holsters have the belt going well below the center-of-gravity on the loaded gun.
(keep in mind all those rounds in the grip will affect the weight and balance of it).
THe holster will tend to tip away from your body and print more unless your strong belt hugs it tight against you.
I don't mind a holster with no cant if it is right on my hip, but if it's over my right rear pocket (where it feels best and conceals best)
then I like a slight forward cant.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I've been playing with the "el cheapo" straight draw I've got, around the house with an unloaded EMP. 4:00 seems about right for me, although with a t-shirt, it about as concealed as a Cher's plastic surgery. So a 15 degree cant will help to carry it there, but conceal it better? Does it take long to get used to drawing from that position?

·
Registered
302 Posts
At 4 o'clock, a 10-15 degree cant will help with the draw. It will help with concealing the butt of the grip as well, however... A proper gun belt (I use A & G, who will probably show up shortly) and a quality holster (not something you could classify as "el cheapo") will do much better to hold the gun in closer and prevent printing. A 10-15, or even a 30 degree cant won't help conceal anything if the belt can't support the weight and the holster doesn't keep the profile slim and the gun held into the body. With a pistol that small, the cant is primarily for the draw, and less for concealment.

(I used to carry a Kimber UC2 at 3:30 in a Black OPs Pro holster, and only canted it for ease of draw. I now carry a Glock 22 in the same position with less of a can't and still have no issues with printing.)

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
gunsmoker said:
I would add that a good stiff, thick belt is important for a high-riding concealment holster.
:exactly:
The belt makes all the difference.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Cant has two purposes. The first, already mentioned, is to reduce print. The second (more important imo) is to facilitate a natural angle for drawing if necessary. If you were carrying in a military style right leg drop holster your natural arm and wrist position would be directly in line with it. When you raise the weapon on your body to around your waist, your arm and wrist are no longer in a straight position and as you move it from the 3 o'clock position further behind or in front of you the angle becomes more severe. You can see this by keeping your hand in-line with your arm and starting with a 3 o'clock draw with your elbow bent you will have a slightly forward angle but nearly vertical. By the time the draw is occurring at a 6 o'clock position the angle of the draw is closer to horizontal without severe angles on your wrist. As your angle of draw changes, canting the weapon in a holster allows for a more natural draw without compensation needed to smoothly remove it from the holster.

This aids in reducing the complexity of the process of drawing and producing the weapon if necessary to combat a threat. If necessary to protect yourself the more simple the process the less likely you are to make mistakes. This is why I choose holsters that have user adjustable cant.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. If you don't mind, would you be so kind as to give me an example of a holster with an adjustable cant? I'd be curious to see what it looks like.

Thanks

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,412 Posts
jlcnuke said:
The second (more important imo) is to facilitate a natural angle for drawing if necessary.
This was basically what I learned in training. Cant so that the grip tilts toward your hip.

If you have holster at 3 o'clock (right-handed, right on hip), barrel is straight up and down.
2 o'clock, barrel should be tilted so that rear sight is closer to hip line than front sight is.
4 o'clock, barrel is tilted other direction so that rear sight is closer to hip line than front sight again.

And +100 on all the belt remarks. You're just throwing away money trying to save on a cheap belt. You're going to regret it and eventually buy something better anyway. I'm a utility belt guy, so I've got a good stiff utility belt from 5.11.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, get a good belt. :)

It honestly can't be mentioned enough. Get one made to carry a gun on too. Along with the makers already mentioned, Wilderness Tactical makes great belts too. I use their 5 stitch Frequent Flyer model myself. Personally, I prefer this over leather, as leather belts don't offer enough adjustment in some cases. At times, I've always needed another hole between the two existing holes in leather belts.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
Lots of great advice here! :D

I can't stress enough, how a good, sturdy purpose built gun belt can be. For a great number of years, I simply went with relatively sturdy, yet regular commercial belts. My holster, regardless of who made it, would tend to move around and such. Once it finally got through my thick skull, I picked up a Galco belt and, believe it or not, it made all the difference.

Here's some other places to check out for good holsters and such:

http://www.ttgunleather.com/

http://www.topgunsupply.com/

http://www.bigriverleather.com/

·
Registered
100 Posts
jklotz said:
it about as concealed as a Cher's plastic surgery.
Wait, wait, wait.....there's more than ONE?! :shock:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts