newbie from Acworth

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by Bad Co., Oct 19, 2007.

1. Bad Co.

Bad Co. New Member

Hello, all. I've been cruising this board for a few days now, and I'm glad to see that not only do most of the members on this board share a common interest with me (isn't that why we're all here?), but many of you seem to have similar belief and values systems to my own.

I only have a basic knowledge of firearms at this point, and no knowledge at all of all these laws you guys are quoting. So bear with me for a bit and I'll try to pick up on some of this stuff and not ask too many stupid questions.

Right now, all I've got is a shotgun (12 gauge Mossberg 500, I think) for HD. I plan on getting a .45 for carry in Dec. at the big gun show (can't remember the name right now). In the next few weeks I'll be taking my lunch break in the probate court so that I'll hopefully have my GCL by the time I get my gun.

Also, could someone point me in the direction of a page to decode all these abbreviations you all are using? I've figured some of them out, but there are others that I can't make sense of.

Thanks

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:welcome: The gun thing is addictive. I didn't know squat about gun laws when I joined up here. You learn as you go along and will definitely be able to contribute here shortly. Even if you're wrong, someone will point it out and you won't be flamed as with other boards (unless you're name is butters). :p

What abbreviations are you talking about?

OC, CC, IWB, OWB, GFL, etc.?

(GS1, that wouldn't be a bad idea for a sticky...commonly used terms/abbreviations).

3. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Figuring out the acronyms is half the fun. Does anyone here remember the old David Allan Coe song X's and O's (Hugs and Kisses)? I can't get the link to work to the lyrics because it has some [ and ] codes in it. If you Google it you can find them.

Here is one verse.....

S.W.P.A.P. WAS A TWISTER
    SPRINKLED WITH POWDER AND PERFUME, MY SISTER TOOK
    TWO DAYS TO FIGURE OUT SWEET DREAMS FOREVER SWEET DREAMS
    S.D.F.S.D. HAD HER SEEING DOUBLE
    THE ENVELOPE LOOKED LIKE A GOOD CHINESE PUZZLE
    YES I GOT THOSE LETTERS YOU WROTE ME WHEN WE WERE FIFTEEN.

He was referring to all the acronyms he and his woman used on their love letters to each other.

4. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

:welcome:

Don't be discouraged here, great people and much knowledge. Everytime I think I remember one of the laws they remind me here that it is not always black and white.

Your name caught my eye, hope it is not anyindication of your Probate. :lol:

5. Claire

Claire New Member

Welcome - good to see another acworth member :)

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

:welcome: Ask away. At one point. most of us new very little about the laws. Reading this site and the references that are given is the best way to learn.

Keep in mind that we occasionally get on topics that are a matter of personal opinion/preference, such as whether to OC (open carry) or CC (carry concealed). Some of us firmly believe that if more people OC'd that carry would be more accepted by sheeple. We often view OCing as an educational opportunity, and a chance to openly excercise our rights. Others here believe that carrying is a private matter, and don't want to give up any possible tactical advantage that "going unseen" can give you. They may believe that OC can and will lead to harrassment by LEOs (law enforcement officers). On topics like this, do what what feels right for you. The most important thing is to carry and to carry as often as legally possibly for you.

7. Bad Co.

Bad Co. New Member

Thanks. Fortunately, butters was not on my list of possible user names.

Lets see: open carry, concealed carry, don't know, don't know, Georgia Firearms license. Yeah, there are large parts of conversations I'm not comprehending because of this. The automotive forum I use has a page with all of the definitions next to the abbreviations and is a great quick reference.

8. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

inside waist band
    outside waist band

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

IWB = Inside Waist Band
    OWB = Outside Waist Band

10. Bad Co.

Bad Co. New Member

If you mean criminal record, no. I'm pretty much clean. Finally off the smack, too. :wink:

11. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

i.e. = id est

ibid = ibidem

e.g. = exempli gratia

:D

13. Bad Co.

Bad Co. New Member

I'd love to, but I've got a meeting for work that I HAVE to be at. Business is in the crapper, and they think that a motivational speech will somehow help something.

Cool, thanks. That one is getting bookmarked as soon as I get home.

14. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

15. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

:welcome:

There are no dumb questions to ask. Ask away.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

17. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

18. larz

larz Member

Welcome neighbor......

19. Bad Co.

Bad Co. New Member

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. And if you tell me that there aren't any stupid questions, I'm sure I can come up with something that will make you take it back.:wink:

BTW, this forum has some really great emoticons.