New YouTube Channel with lawyer discussing gun rights and the law

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by UtiPossidetis, Jul 21, 2016.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsaI5raGZfA[/ame]
    I've watched a couple of his videos and they are pretty clear, concise, and seem very level-headed. There are always links to more information and resources. It seems a good resource to be aware of. The one above is about whether modified handguns are more likely to get you convicted if you have to use one in self-defense. I'd be interested in our own local attorney's take on the information in the video.

2. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Nice find, thanks for sharing! :righton:

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I think this young lawyer's video is good, but he puts too much emphasis on the letter of the law and not enough weight to the human emotion factor.
    In a marginal case--not a 100% clear cut good shoot-- the cops who investigate the incident could take an instant dislike to you for using that modded AR with a belt feed kit installed and a Bump Fire stock. They could choose to arrest you first, on the spot, instead of letting you go and forwarding the investigative report to the DA's office.

In a marginal case, if the folks at the DA's office think that only dangerous Nutjobs modify their guns like you did, they could ask the grand jury to indict you. A grand jury will indict a ham sandwich on request.

This gun lawyer's video says the DA can introduce testimony about your mods and argue that it shows you had a depraved mind.
    But he says the jury should not hold it against you. (But they might).

That's a BIG risk. Jurors don't have to explain or justify their verdicts. If they want to send you to prison for being a bloodthirsty a-hole with a semi-auto machine gun, they CAN.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Thanks for your analysis. While I am not even an attorney, my experiences with Courts and related squares with your take on things. My attitude is - if its not OEM then why? I'm not sure sights or a grip (other than ones with provocative symbols of sayings) would be in the same category as a trigger job or removal of a safety, but who knows.

5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

The smartest take-away from that video was -

STFU, call your lawyer and STFU. :righton:

6. EJR914

Also, make sure you have a competent and good attorney as well, I've run into so many crappy, unprofessional attorneys out there, and two who were complete idiots.

7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I agree about getting a good attorney. The problem is that you often have no way of knowing until you've had them fail, because the practice of law is like other practices - specialized. Until you have already used a lawyer from a specific specialty knowing whether they are any good is problematic in my experience.

8. EJR914

Ask around at the local court house, deputies, they know, ask people, I sing like a bird when it comes to the dirty, rotten, incompetent attorneys I wasted 10,000 dollars on. Also, find the most crooked local attorney with the best political connections to the judges. Never hire an honest, far away, or young attorney for divorces, or any criminal defense. This is all politics. The case is already decided, behind close doors before the hearing ever happens, I promise you that. Sometimes just out at the golf course.