New York AG moves to dissolve NRA

Discussion in 'In the News' started by dhaller, Aug 6, 2020.

1. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

That makes sense for a theoretical organization, but it doesn't work in practice with the NRA. The NRA involves itself in the work and lives of others who are not members -- some times a lot and sometimes not very much or not at all. To say those others should just sit idly by is to say those others should abdicate their lives to the whims of the NRA. When you make yourself a public participant in world events, you necessarily are making yourself subject to public commentary.

2. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I thought only the leftys wanted to suppress discussion / dissention.

3. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Something about adversity, character and power?

4. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Right on there. We do not want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. The NRA does a lot of good and is still the 400 pound gorilla in the gun rights world. The NRA needs an applied scalpel to get rid of those corrupt individuals who are staining the organization's name and primary mission, not an axe. Those who are on the gun rights side and who want to dismantle the entire NRA, are simply wrong thinking here. The NRA, as imperfect as it is, and we know it, needs to be supported by the entire gun rights community, against these attacks. Our focus should be on reforming the NRA and getting rid of bad leadership.

Adam5 likes this.
  5. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

One writer posed that this is akin to executing the victim of a crime, not the perpetrator.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If (if) the NRA has become a corrupt organization due to bad leader ship,

AND if

the NRA's own articles of incorporation bylaws and corporate rules do not allow the Board of Directors to have any meaningful control over a rogue chief executive...

...then the best thing to do is for the organization to be disbanded and re-organized with a new structure that has checks and balances against the dictatorial power of one CEO / Executive V.P..

7. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Do this. Do this NOW. How many freaking years has this organization been run like a f*cking piggy bank for LaPierre? I'm not discussing this any further as folks just want to shout me down, but as long as the malfeasance continues, they aren't getting one red cent from me. Do you know what some call that? Enabling.

And the thought that no other can come in and take its place is simply ridiculous.

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

If you don't want to give the "one red cent" then don't. If that is the case then you have no right to complain about anything the NRA does or doesn't do since you are not involved in it anyway. You have no skin in the game so accept it as it is and move on. Stop trying to discredit something you know nothing about and have no stake in.

Well when you start an organization that can step in and take it's place let me know. So far there is nothing even close to being able to step up to the plate and take a swing at it.

9. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

No one is shouting you down. I simply disagree with destroying the NRA. I think that's too drastic. I am sympathetic to your anger at the NRA's leaders. LaPierre and the others who insist on hanging on, are the ones we should be angry at, and I hope they will feel pressure to step down.

10. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Instead of dissolving the NRA how about dissolving NY City.

11. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

It seems to be doing that all by itself.

12. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member