New York AG moves to dissolve NRA

Discussion in 'In the News' started by dhaller, Aug 6, 2020.

1. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

Basically, for massive fraud (which should surprise no one here):

"LaPierre, who also serves as CEO, has held the top position at the organization for nearly 30 years. In the Attorney General's lawsuit he is accused of using charitable funds for personal gain, including a post-employment contract valued at more than $17 million that was not approved by the NRA's board of directors.

The lawsuit also claims that LaPierre received more than $1.2 million in expense reimbursements over four years, including gifts for friends, travel expenses and memberships at golf clubs and hotels.

And it alleges that he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on private plane trips, including for extended family when he was not present; traveled to Africa with his wife on a safari gifted by an NRA vendor, and spent more than $3.6 million on luxury black car services and travel consultants in the last two years.

Those that attempted to blow the whistle on this behavior, the suit claims, were retaliated against by LaPierre."

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/06/8997...CLl6dLCufQTXlM8VyogM8Uj-3zGZ-VfhGHpvtTmN_K0NM

DH

2. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

I am not against this. The NRA has been a scam for many years and it's time for them to go the way of the rotary phone.

3. Speevl

Speevl Active Member

…....Or to be reformed. Many of us vote every year for reformation in the NRA. If you’re eligible to vote in the organization and you don’t - you are part of the problem.

And yes I know GOA etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. I happen to be a life member of both organizations.

If we had a strong, ethical NRA - not run by the scam artist LaPierre, it would be a powerful force for good. It’s my hope we can see that in the future.

MRD and moe mensale like this.
  4. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Isn't it interesting that James hasn't charged LaPierre, Frazer, Powell or Phillips with any crimes? Why not? A corporation isn't a sentient entity. It doesn't do all those nasty things that James is claiming. The people involved are responsible for doing those things. And yet, no charges against them or any others.

All she wants to do is dissolve the NRA - and thereby eliminate its influence and support of the 2nd Amendment. Then who will be next? GOA? SAF? Georgia Carry?

I'm not a LaPierre apologist. Personally, I'd like to see him and several others charged and convicted of misfeasance and nonfeasance. The NRA needs a monster sized application of bleach to clean the stench out of it.

I wouldn't go cheering for this political hit job by an ultra partisan political assassin.

inFEKTid and Speevl like this.
  5. moe mensale

And they counterpunch.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new-york-ag-dissolve-nra-lawsuit

6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

That happens and you can put all your gun rights there in the same museum display case beside that phone.

Nemo

Harhib and mountainman444 like this.
  7. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

If successful, the NY AG would be doing 2A rights a massive favor.

8. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

I don't think that would happen. There would be another group ready to take the place of what the NRA *used* to be.

9. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

The remedy sought makes the whole case suspect. If there were evidence that ABC Public Interest Group had officers that were siphoning money from the organization, who would think the appropriate remedy is to dissolve the organization? That's essentially punishing the victim of the crime with the death penalty.

10. Nemo

Name another organization thats has been around for as long, has the membership, name recognition, political organization and general political gravitas.

And one with the name recognition that designs training programs at all levels and is recognized at the 800 pound gorilla on the nation level.

One that is large enough and nationwide enough to have political clout. One that gets some small part of the blame on the alleged gun problem.

Nemo

11. Nemo

Response.

Nemo

https://www.nralegalfacts.org/

12. Speevl

Speevl Active Member

You completely underestimate how long it takes to establish something with credibility on the Hill. GOA is good for what it does and I support them, but the NRA is the behemoth. I think your zeal for seeing the downfall of an organization you don’t care for is clouding your judgement of how that would actually unfold. The NRA is a vehicle that has been poorly driven. The answer is better drivers and not to relish the destruction of the vehicle itself. Like it or not that vehicle is also already on the track and recognized as a racer.

DonT and zetor like this.
  13. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

The NYAG is suing the NRA but this is really all about going after the 2nd amendment.

14. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Regardless of how you personally feel about the NRA they are the only ones standing in the way of no gun rights at all. Say what you want but you really should not be wanting to side with the gun grabbers on a pro gun forum.

DonT likes this.
  15. i386

i386 Member

The press was allowed to ask questions after the announcement. This question was asked and answered.

If the NRA executives were lining their pockets, members should be furious. A new organization should replace the NRA. We shouldn’t look the other was just because they have successfully lobbied for gun rights.

16. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

Never NRAers were here long before never Trumpers

atlsrt44 likes this.
  17. moe mensale

And the answer was what? Got a link?

Members have been furious and pissed off. For decades. This isn't something that just came to light in the past year or two. NRA members deeply involved for decades have tried to get it to be more transparent and responsive to the membership. Its huge Board of Directors (76 directors?) functions pretty much as a rubber stamp for top management. Many of them are just as guilty as LaPierre for abdicating their fiduciary responsibilities to the organization. Grassroots members have tried for decades, with very minimal success, to get directors appointed who weren't part of the good old boys network.

I have no doubt that the NRA will eventually reorganize itself under the laws of a more gun friendly state. But if you're in favor of the complete dissolvement of the NRA then we disagree. You'd be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. A completely new organization is not going to just pick up from where the NRA left off. And that's where the 2nd Amendment attack is. You're not seeing this for the political hit job that it is.

Those of us who pay our dues every year aren't looking the other way. What LaPierre and company have done is like a cancer that's spread throughout the organization. It needs to be cut out and killed without killing the patient. Too many gun people - mostly those without any skin in the game I'd say - are siding with the gun grabbers on this. They really, really shouldn't be.

Harhib likes this.
  18. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Those who are not members attempting to make changes and those who are just simply not members just need to stay on the sidelines and not worry about it. If it's not your money they why are you so dead set on trashing what others invest in?

19. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Abe Lincoln said it best and it applies to this issue as well. You will note that I did not say what he said because I know all of You unlike the rest of America know it well.