Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent the day fiddling with this update to the anniversary edition, downloaded it from the direct link to the installer that microsoft has posted. It takes a long time to download and install as it is a full blown replacement OS.

Bottom line:
All 4 of my windows pc's have been happy on the windows 10 anniversary edition.

The new creative edition works good on my 4gb memory, 32 bit machine.

But lots of grief of different kinds on my 3 other, all 64 bit machines:
i5 8gb HP laptop,
i7 w/16gb memory main desktop, and
8gb mem ancient Asus desktop. Fortunately I had good image backups for all of them.

The last few Windows Updates since Win 7 have been easy and pleasant for me so I thought I'd get a jump on the latest and greatest since I was home-bound today.

My advice is try to stop this upgrade if at all possible until you investigate others' results and be sure you have confidence in your latest image backup before you load it (or allow it to be pushed onto your PC automatically).

I tried the 'go back to previous version' option on one machine and it did not work - hung, I gave it up after 3 hours of it spinning its wheels.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
How do we stop it. I thought Windows pretty much had it configured so that you could no longer stop the updates?

Step by step instructions or a link would be great....

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,130 Posts
I still use Win 8. I have tried 10 and (imho) it sux. Primarily because its different enough I cannot figure out how to make it do what I want it to do.

Also, I have heard/read/learned/kinda understood that without clicking here then there, then the next place and a few more to get to the one to unclick it reports lots of stuff back to HQ. Reportedly that one reports/records more than about all the prior versions combined.

AFAIK, I have my 8 clicked and unclicked enough to limit that as much as possible.

Personally I would rather those reports back not happen, so I am sticking with 8 as long as I can.

Of course I could be wrong. And probably am. Either way they likely have the chips in me already.

Nemo

·
American
3,289 Posts
I just wish we still had Win7 with incremental improvements. I bought a Win8 machine and sent it back. Win10 seems better but still fundamentally designed for a pad or phone. I've also got proprietary software that will NOT run on anything other than XP or Win7, so I have at least one of each machine at the office.

·
Romans 10:13
4,651 Posts
I have Win 10 and would still be happy with Windows XP.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can stop it with settings - update - advanced - stop feature updates

unless you have win 10 home which does Not have this check box

there's lots of other more complicated ways to stop it documented on the internet

this new creator update will have a snooze button to delay the update for 3 days - that seems funny to me for some reason

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Speaking as an IT Pro, I love Win10. 8.0/8.1 was OK except for the touch-first User Interface. Let me tell you that really sucked on servers. I still have never seen a touchscreen server console.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Thanks for the reminder to update my imaas

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd still be happy with windows 98. It's just an internet machine to me and I don't/can't do much with a computer.
remember when win 98 came out ?

people camped out in front of the stores overnight to be first in line to buy it

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
still using win 7, even on a new laptop. they still keep trying to force some of the old win 10/telemetry updates on win 7 users (unhiding them, and switching them from optional to security/important). i compartmentalize my usage to different OS's (moving back towards linux[kali, mint]), and only use windows where i have to for compatibility(gaming, some development).

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would wait for the Win 10 Creators update install to be tested by the early adopters first (if you don't have immediate need for the new features).

God love the early adopters. They can help MS works out any installation issues before it's pushed to my laptop as far as I'm concerned.

And as other's have mentioned, I would backup using System Image AND do old fashioned manual backup of important data files until the update is pushed to your rig. At least you can get back to where you were at the time of the last image backup in case of trouble.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
It was Windows 10 that pushed me to an iMac. I originally had two issues with it - the first was that my NIC would stop anytime I was doing anything with a fair amount of traffic (e.g. streaming a video). The only way to fix was to reboot. Resetting the IP congif wouldn't fix it, disabling/enabling the NIC wouldn't fix it, etc. You had to reboot. Eventually a fix was released (I think) that was to roll back the Broadcom drivers to an XP version or something. The other issue I had is that Microsoft seems to make it more difficult to use the operating system. It used to be easy to access things like the NIC configuration or programs even, but there seems to be this obsession with adding layers and burying things. I can see having the Windows around for gaming (if you're not a console gamer) or Windows-only apps, but other than that I won't be going back.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I feel a bit guilty seeing all the problems folks are having with Windows 10. I consider myself lucky. On a HP Envy laptop bought new in 2014 with Windows 8.1, I updated to W10 last summer while it was still free. I've had few issues with hardware or drivers. I had to restore the manufacturers sounds drivers to override the mysterious decision Win 10 had to use the win 10 driver, but that the only thing I've had to mess with as I remember.

My biggest problem was with various processes kicking off and hogging resources, and I honestly can't even remember what those processes were anymore. When I saw slowdowns, I ran Task Manager, found the offending process, Google it, and find settings to minimize or eliminate the impact. Over a month or two I reached a point where it's running great. As I remember telemetry was one service that was sucking resources, but it's now under control.

The start menu is ridiculous in Windows 10 with all the crap. I don't use a huge variety of apps and merely made desktop shortcuts to the apps I mainly use, or put them on the task bar, so they're right there one click away to launch. I this way, I use it pretty much like Windows 7.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, I successfully updated my remaining PC's to the new Win 10 today. None of the issues that I encountered last week. Maybe they tweaked something in this week's official roll out.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I'd still be happy with windows 98.
So would everyone on the internet that wants a free machine. Win98 has so many security holes that the time to losing your machine is hours, not days.

·
Registered
754 Posts
EVERY SINGLE ONE of the Windows 10 mass updates hasmade my laptop a buggy crashfest... every one. It takes days of fiddling to get it sorted back out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts