New Toy (In the making)

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by ptsmith24, Aug 15, 2007.

1. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I finally gave in and decided to build an AR. I'm still working out payment on the lower from Anvil Arms and I'm ordering an upper, lower parts kit, magazines, and magazine followers hopefully tomorrow. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted (if anyone is interested). I'm sure I'll have questions, but from what others have told me and from what I've read (from teh internetz!?!), it seems fairly straightforward.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

w00t

this is gonna be fun

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Early next year I want to build one with a 9mm upper.

4. AV8R

AV8R Banned

If you are so inclined and have the time, can you blog the experience? You know, take some pictures and do some write ups on your progress? I'll give you the web space to do it and set up the blog for you.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Do you want a step by step thing or something? I can take pics and do sorta a step by step thing on here. If you wanna make it into a blog or something, that's fine. I've never messed with the blog stuff. What would be the advantage over, say, having a sticky thread here?

6. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I guess a blog would be a little better organized with respect to others asking questions and leaving comments. A sticky would be great, too! I realize it will take a lot of time and work on your part to post your progress, but I would love to see a thread or blog on your build.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'd love to do it to help this site out. I'll most likely be building it with Ramm over at his place.

8. AV8R

AV8R Banned

:righton: :woohoo:

9. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

When you first start you will feel intimadated by all the springs and pins. Don't worry, after you finish you'll look around and say, "That's it, I want to do another one".

The best thing to do is have a good clean hard surface to work on. Not the kitchen table unless the wife won't mind a few hammer marks. There are a couple of spring pins that will have to be installed. One for the trigger guard and one for the bolt catch.

You will have fun, but be careful, these things are addictive, kinda like pringles, once you pop you just can't stop.

Chris

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I look forward to your kit. Me and Ramm will find a workspace somewhere. I do plan on taking pics and writing about it, so people can look forward to that. From what I've read on ar15.com's guide, no real special tools are necessary. What tools do you think are necessary?

11. AV8R

AV8R Banned

So, understanding that there are tons of options when building an AR, how much can be saved by building a basic AR of moderate bbl length?

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Prices will most likely be on my write up. If they aren't, someone can remind me to add them. I'm building a 16" chrome-lined barrel 5.56NATO C.A.R.

13. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

14. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

When I build a lower all I use is small ball peen hammer, a punch, small needle nose pliers, and a flat screw driver.

As far as money saved, only about 75 to 100 dollars in exise tax. I've got some factory built rifles that go for $875 and you can build the same rifle for about $790. But with the factory rifle you get the lifetime warrenty on the rifle.

Chris

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I don't have many tools... Guess I'll need to get the tools when I get everything in.

16. Ashe

Ashe New Member

I have a full set of Armorers tools that I got to take with me when I left my last job. If you have all the parts and you know what you are doing you can build an entire AR in less than an hour.
    I can give you a bunch of helpful little tricks to speed up the building process, if you want.

I plan on building myself another AR in the next month or so. I may add it to my blog, if I do I'll post it here as well.

17. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I wanna help!

I've got quite a few tools. Plus I LOVE getting my hands dirty.

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'm not really in too much of a rush. I'd like to build it before labor day weekend, though. I just ordered the stripped lower this morning (should be here next week sometime, I'm thinking). I'll be ordering the upper kit when a deposit posts. That was supposed to happen yesterday, but hopefully I'll get that ordered before the end of the week. If I have any questions, I'll probably post them here and search ar15.com.

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

What blog setup would it be? Could you point it out to me so I can go ahead and get familiar with it?

20. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member