Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people, glad to found this board. Matt J here with my bike as my primary hobby. Since my last visit to uncle at Valdosta, I become interested with his quail shooting hobby. Wanted to try it as well so I'm looking for some gun options. He got Beretta 20-gauge shotgun. I'm looking at any light weight like Browning A5.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm afraid shotguns are not yet a part of my mental firearm repertoire. I'm sure someone will be happy to help you!

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
Hi SlingerJ. Quail hunting is fun. I did it with a pump action 20 gauge.
Over-unders with screw-in choke tubes and open chokes (Skeet or Improved Cylinder) seem to be what's popular in south Georgia, where I was at the time.

An autoloader would be great, too.

I have no experience with owning autoloaders. From talking to people with them at the shooting ranges, I'm hesitant to buy a Remington 1100 or 11-87, but I always hear good things about Benelli and Beretta.
There's a new imported brand of shotgun made in Turkey, and they're not expensive. I saw a kid and his father using a 20 gauge youth model semi-auto, and they said the gun worked great. Small and light, but mild on recoil, and always reliable. Made in Turkey.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,651 Posts
I'm going to assume that we're talking semi-autos, because that's what most folks use to hunt nowadays.

If money is no object, go with a Benelli. No contest. Benelli is the Glock of shotguns, but without the ugly factor.

If money is an object, I would try to find an older Remington 1100. When I was growing up in the 80's we reloaded our shells, and we reloaded them HEAVY. I'm talking 2-3/4 shells loaded at 1-3/8 ounce at probably 1300FPS. I shot literally tens of thousands of those rounds out of an 1100. Those same rounds would destroy a newer gas-operated gun. I know this because we had some newer 11-87's that didn't make it. But those 1100's just kept right on going bang. (Well, more like BOOM!... ;) )

·
Super Moderator
7,141 Posts
Thank you for the welcome and tips. Still looking for more options.
What are the gun laws like in the Philippines??

Do they have a lot of quail there in Sampaloc?

Inquiring minds want to know...

:popcorn:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Break action shotguns (over-under or side x sides) are preferred for quail. Safety being the primary reason- you'll be loading and unloading the firearm several times a day, as you put the weapon in the gun box on the buggy as you move from one location to another. Semi-auto and pumps are frowned upon- save those for the dove field. Primarily 20 ga although you'll see an occasional 28 ga. 12 ga tears up the birds too bad.

Best quail gun I ever owned was an Ithaca 150 20ga side by side. 25" barrel that was made by SKB. Light as a feather, and a real joy to carry on a hike. Browning Citori Lightning in 24" barrel is another good choice.

Beretta semi-auto's are good dove guns, but here in Georgia almost anything works fine for dove. I've been fortunate to take a few trips to Cordoba Argentina, which to a bird hunter is similar to a golfer playing Augusta National. Real high volume shooting, and a torture test of a firearm. Beretta rules the roost down there. The Remington's just don't hold up to that punishment. Benelli's hold up, but they've got a reputation for being hard recoiling. Not something you'd ever notice around here under normal circumstances, but after 1000 or 1500 birds, you'll notice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts