New to handguns

Discussion in 'Training' started by William, Jan 22, 2011.

1. William

William Member

2. William

William Member

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Well you did say you're were shooting a Glock. :lol:

All kidding aside, if you know about firearm safety, and you know the laws pertaining to self-defense, and you're tight on money, I say spend it on ammo for practice. You are already doing fine with practicing snap caps all the time, something I do myself.

Just to make sure its not your grip or your stance, watch what a few of the pros say about grip and stance. It might help you out. I don't know.

Watch this guy shoot, and then tell me that you don't want to copy exactly what this guy does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48 Todd Jarrett on shooting a pistol, stance, trigger control, grip, ect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQgLmQl1zDw Grip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vih-TWRQ ... re=channel Stance

Hope that helps my friends.

4. William

William Member

5. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

Welcome to the handgun shooting world! :)

The G30 is great little shooter. 8) I just picked up a G30SF a couple months ago and I've had it's slimmer little brother, the G36, for about two years and I really like 'em both.

When you can, I would recommend picking up a .22 conversion kit for your G30:

http://www.topgunsupply.com/advantage-a ... 29-30.html

This would be a great, ( and much more inexpensive! ) way to fine tune and practice pistol shooting.

I know it would be quite a bit of a drive for you, but if you got the chance to come down this way, we could meet for a range session and work on getting you dialed in with your G30. Patrick's in Garden City would be perfect. The friendly and gun savy staff can also provide helpful tips a pointers to shooters. :)

6. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

since your local, im willing to go to the range with you and help you with your shooting.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yeah, getting a .22 conversion kit or just buying one of those new Glock-style .22 pistols would be a great way to get effective practice in, on a budget.
    Consider the difference in ammo prices: $3 for 50 rounds versus what, maybe $20 for 50 rounds of .45 acp?

Another tip for trigger control: Get some other kind of toy / BB / pellet gun for more dry fire practice. This other gun must be one that doesn't require a slide to be cycled by hand to cock the gun for each shot. It doesn't have to actually be a functional gun that shoots any projectile-- as long as it can be cocked and dry fired with a trigger pull that's got at least a few pounds on it.

You can tape a LASER pen or pointer to the side of the barrel of that toy / BB gun, and when you dry fire it, try to be so smooth and steady on the trigger that the laser dot on the wall (or on the target, even if it's not in the center of the target where you're aiming the sights) doesn't move much as you pull the trigger.
    At 5 yards / 15 feet, the dot should wriggle in an area no larger than a quarter as you pull the trigger.

P.S. If you know of a place where you can safely and legally shoot a BB or pellet pistol, they make excellent training tools to go from huge, embarassing "groups" the side of a man's body to pretty small groups, maybe 1" at 15 feet or 2-3" at 30 feet.
    When you are good enough to shoot tennis-ball sized groups easily and fairly quickly at 30 feet with a cheap ($30-50) air pistol, then you will have outgrown that gun and will be ready to fine-tune your skills on your Glock or some other real handgun.

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Trigger control is my worst problem, I'm still trying to undo it. I spent years hunting birds, and for some reason, I slap the crap out of the trigger.

Remember to feel the reset of the trigger, and then pull the next shot. It increases speed and accuracy. Its amazing what you'll be able to do with a few months of practice, if you practice it everyday. :D

9. rainmaker

rainmaker New Member

I'm no pro, but I've noticed that the more I practice with my .22 Ruger Mark II, the better I get with my Glock. And when I improve with the Glock, sometimes I get nearly awesome (by my standards) with the Ruger Mark II.

10. William

William Member

11. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

No problem! :)

We're here to help! 8)

12. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

I was a decent shot before I took an NRA pistol class with my girlfriend (just the instructor and us, one on two). I took the class mostly for my girlfriend's benefit to teach her gun safety (and so she wouldn't learn any of my bad habits starting out), but I ended up learning a LOT about proper technique and it really improved my accuracy.

13. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

werd :mrgreen:

14. ET.

ET. Active Member

Go buy some snap caps for your Glock. Then have someone load your mags with both randomly (or you do it the night before so you won't remember the pattern). When you take it to the range and load the mags into the gun you will have no idea when the gun is going to fire or just click. You will see how much you are jerking the gun as you pull the trigger. When I did this the first time I really jerked that first snap cap. I got better after awhile.

I also like the idea of getting a lazer and watching it move as you pull the trigger. After all, the gun is going to shoot the bullet exactly where it is aimed at the point when the bullet emerges from the barrel. It never fails to do this... profound ain't it?

15. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

Remember practicing bad habits will not improve your shooting. I have heard it called masterbating the gun. (it gives you a good feeling but doesn't accomplish anything else) The money spent with a good instructor is well worth it and will save you time, money and frustration in the long run. A good class will cost about the same as a case of ammo. If you just buy 2 cases of ammo and shoot it you may improve some or you may just ingrain bad habits; but buy 1 case and 1 class and you should improve 4 fold.

Just ask the people who have had good training if it was worth it.
    I here comments in class all the time like:
    Nobody ever told me that. or I had no idea I was doing it wrong; the best one yet was a student who said "There was so much information in this class I felt like I was drinking from a firehose"
    Several times guys will send there wife's/girlfriends to class and then when the wife comes home and shoots better than he does, he signs up for class.

16. willr1

willr1 New Member

:lol: I hope you dont mind me plagerising that in my class', that is hilarious and explains it so well :righton:

17. Rach380

Rach380 New Member

I am new to handguns as well. I took a basic pistol course that helped me with trigger control as well as my sight alignment. My rounds seemed to be all over the place, but I have learned what I need to do get more consistent shots. Check out www.piedmontnrainstructors.com; this will give you some idea of what you need to improve on. Hope this helps

18. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Try the laser trick. Attach a $4 laser pointer to a $5 cap pistol you buy from a toy store, or a $20 BB pistol that you buy at any sporting goods store, and just practice keeping the sights aligned and the gun steady (as visually verified by the steadiness of the laser dot on the target surface) as you pull the trigger.

When you can make the gun click or pop a cap or shoot a BB with the sights staying steady and with the laser dot steady against the target
    (even if the laser dot is NOT aiming where the sights are... that doesn't matter)
    THEN you should be able to take a real gun like your Glock and shoot tennis-ball sized groups at 20 feet, and basketball-sized groups (still all within the kill zone of a man-sized target) at 25 yards.

19. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

The handgun is harder to master than a rifle like Scott 40 SW said invest in a class. You can look at videos etc but there is nothing like and instructor to train you practice is something you do after training to become better.

20. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

have someone record you shooting and post it up for us to critique :D