Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Y'all,

My name's Mike, I'm retired Army, and currently a Government contractor.

I just moved to Evans, Ga after spending the last five years in San Antonio, TX (originally from Maryland, but don't hold that against me).

I'm interested in the process for getting a carry permit, and will likely have some questions after I read the FAQs.

Mike

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Hi, Y'all,

My name's Mike, I'm retired Army, and currently a Government contractor.

I just moved to Evans, Ga after spending the last five years in San Antonio, TX (originally from Maryland, but don't hold that against me).

I'm interested in the process for getting a carry permit, and will likely have some questions after I read the FAQs.

Mike
Welcome to Georgia and GPDO.

As for your license....
Visit the probate court of your county of residence
You said Evans GA so....
http://www.columbiacountyga.gov/government-/elected-appointed-officials/probate-court

File your paperwork (see the link above)
Pay the fee
Have your picture taken, Get fingerprinted

Go home and wait....

Also - consider joining GeorgiaCarry.Org the best organization to protect your
right to carry here in Georgia !

http://www.georgiacarry.org

Start with GA Code section 16-11-127 for the places that you cannot carry and then check out the places off-limits
section of this forum for places that would rather not have your business...
http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/ga-code/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - the link said that I'd need to bring a "Georgia license," which I assume is a drivers license - since I've been here only a week and still have my Texas DL, would I first have to get a Georgia DL?

I may...or may not...be here for more that a year, depending on how the new job goes - what's the time requirement for getting a Georgia DL and registering a car here?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Unfortunately, our governor vetoed a new law that would have allowed you to carry on your Texas permit for 90 days while the paperwork on your GWCL went through. You will need to "establish residence" which typically boils down to getting a Georgia drivers license, then apply for a GWCL.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thanks - the link said that I'd need to bring a "Georgia license," which I assume is a drivers license - since I've been here only a week and still have my Texas DL, would I first have to get a Georgia DL?

I may...or may not...be here for more that a year, depending on how the new job goes - what's the time requirement for getting a Georgia DL and registering a car here?

Thanks again!
I think *no* on the DL requirement...but I can't swear to it. You have 30 days to get the car registered and if you don't know about it yet...well, here's your "welcome gift"...yep, it will be in the form of a big, fat title tax (if you have a newer car). Here's the page for that:

https://onlinemvd.dor.ga.gov/tap/option1.aspx#message

General Information: https://dor.georgia.gov/general-registration-information

And, to register your car, you HAVE to have a GA DL...no if, ands, or buts. UNLESS, you are still AD...which I assume you aren't.

Welcome to GA! I retired from AF in 2014 and was "lucky" to be stationed in San Antonio from 2006-2012...I freakin' hated it there!

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
Welcome

Welcome!
Georgia's gun laws are better than Texas or Maryland, but there are still too many off-limits locations here.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,906 Posts
Welcome to GPDO!

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,697 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and to Georgia.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay...I've been here for about three weeks now - all's going well - we like the area and, if things work out a certain way, wouldn't mid staying around for awhile.

Has anyone bought firearms at the Ft.Gordon PX? How's the staff? Ar prices compatible/better/worse than outside stores?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good morning! My husband and I are military and he's at Fort Gordon. He just bought a Kel-Tec RFB Bullpup .308 about a month ago at about $700 off regular price and tax free was very pleasant. They usually have other good deals as well and we've been able to get them down on price especially if we see scratches and such. The local Cabela's is great as well. They price match and also have a military discount. I would suggest giving them some business too when you can!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also, did you get your CCW yet? It's pretty fast depending on what county you live in. Richmond County only took one week for me, however I already had a previous Georgia CCW but speaking to others that's been their new norm even for new applicants who qualify. I don't really know anything about Columbia County.

·
what me worry?
6,504 Posts
Also, did you get your CCW yet? It's pretty fast depending on what county you live in. Richmond County only took one week for me, however I already had a previous Georgia CCW but speaking to others that's been their new norm even for new applicants who qualify. I don't really know anything about Columbia County.
what we have here in ga is a georgia weapons licence
we can open carry or conceal carry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope = haven't gotten my GWL yet since I haven't gotten my Georgia DL yet - will do so shortly - will also check out the PX and Cabela's - thanks for the recommendations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Whoops, sorry for the terminology snafu, guys! I am used to using general terms because I try to educate my friends and family up in commie land in New England and some other people's republic type states...yes, I am fully aware. I have had a Georgia Weapons License since 2010 from Houston County when they were still issuing laminated paper versions and just got a new one from Richmond county last year. Thanks for the quick terminology correction

·
American
3,289 Posts
Aren't active duty personnel exempt from the requirement for a GWL? I know things are in flux and I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.