2,195 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
slammy said:
madamimadam said:
looks like Springfield is going to gain a leg up on Glock
lol no way......
IMO, the first Springfield had a leg up on the box shaped unsafe Glocks. Now the XDMs are just taking the leg up to about head high. I handled a 9mm in it recently. The guy told me hasn't seen a 40 yet. I haven't looked for one, so I don't know much about them as of yet, but I will be getting a 40 when I get a chance to. The 9 felt good though.

·
Registered
924 Posts
...the first Springfield had a leg up on the box shaped unsafe Glocks.
The Glock is only unsafe in unsafe hands. If someone needs manual safeties, a grip safety or a heavy trigger to be safe then it's a personal issue, not one with the Glock.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Rhodes said:
The Glock is only unsafe in unsafe hands. If someone needs manual safeties, a grip safety or a heavy trigger to be safe then it's a personal issue, not one with the Glock.
^This

With a proper holster and proper trigger discipline there should never be an ND with a Glock. Same thing with DA/SA pistols that don't utilize safeties when being used in DA/SA mode (USP, some Sigs, etc).

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Rhodes said:
What did you expect from someone whos username is XDMWarrior?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Rhodes said:
I couldn't help myself. A friend of mine hd his Glock 9mm in his pocket( I know, you don't have to say it), and he had to go to the bathroom in an extreme hurry. Needless to say, he dropped his pants and the trigger snagged on the latch/pin in his belt and fired a round staright up through his roof. Needless to say he had no problem relieving himself. :lol: He also relieved himself of the Glock.

Personally I don't see why Glock hasn't added in a grip safety on their weapons. I do agree with the heavier trigger. I have been going to get my lightened up, but never have done so. The XDM is just a better feeling pistol to me. I don't really care about the XD models either. They have they same boxy frames as the Glocks do. The new compact xdm is a great feeling little pistol.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
XDMWarrior said:
A friend of mine hd his Glock 9mm in his pocket( I know, you don't have to say it), and he had to go to the bathroom in an extreme hurry. Needless to say, he dropped his pants and the trigger snagged on the latch/pin in his belt and fired a round staright up through his roof.
How did the latch/pin from his belt get into his pocket?
And why was he carrying his 9mm in his pocket muzzle up? Thats kind of an odd angle for it to end up in.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
He also relieved himself of the Glock.
"Of the glock" or "ON the glock"? :lol:

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Ashe said:
XDMWarrior said:
A friend of mine hd his Glock 9mm in his pocket( I know, you don't have to say it), and he had to go to the bathroom in an extreme hurry. Needless to say, he dropped his pants and the trigger snagged on the latch/pin in his belt and fired a round staright up through his roof.
And why was he carrying his 9mm in his pocket muzzle up? Thats kind of an odd angle for it to end up in.
Yeah. You shouldn't pocket carry a gun with no safety unless it's in some type of reinforced holster that protects the trigger.

I have never once heard of a Glock firing well sitting in a proper holster on someone's belt.

Personally I don't see why Glock hasn't added in a grip safety on their weapons.
That's just one more part that could break or malfunction. No need to mess with perfection.

·
Registered
924 Posts
XDMWarrior said:
Rhodes said:
I couldn't help myself. A friend of mine hd his Glock 9mm in his pocket( I know, you don't have to say it), and he had to go to the bathroom in an extreme hurry. Needless to say, he dropped his pants and the trigger snagged on the latch/pin in his belt and fired a round staright up through his roof. Needless to say he had no problem relieving himself. :lol: He also relieved himself of the Glock.

Personally I don't see why Glock hasn't added in a grip safety on their weapons. I do agree with the heavier trigger. I have been going to get my lightened up, but never have done so. The XDM is just a better feeling pistol to me. I don't really care about the XD models either. They have they same boxy frames as the Glocks do. The new compact xdm is a great feeling little pistol.
You couldn't help yourself from making a stupid, false comment because your friend made a dangerous, irresponsible mistake that luckily didn't cost him or anyone else their life? What does that say about you?
I hope your friend doesn't believe that getting rid of the Glock got rid of the problem. Next time the ND will just come from something that says Springfield or Sig or S&W....

As to why Glock doesn't add a grip safety to it's weapon design, I agree with dcannon that it's just something else to fail.
I had an XD45 that I liked, except for the crappy trigger, that worked fine and was perfectly safe without the grip safety. I know this because after a couple hundred rounds the grip safety failed and the pistol would fire without it being pressed. Before I sent it to be repaired it never once fired without the trigger being pulled or found it's way into contact with my belt (from a pocket :roll: ).

Maybe Glock should add an audio safety that says "If you have picked me up and have no experience with handling firearms safely please put me down and ask someone who does to show you the basics. If you are just irresponsible then put me down and go away until you grow up, additional safeties will not help you. If you continue to handle me do not insert anything into my trigger guard unless you want me to fire. Also, please do not make up stupid stories if you put something into my trigger guard and I go off".

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I got it for christmas and love it.

Shot it at the range the other day, put about 60 rounds of PMC FMJ through it without a problem.

Recoil was about the same as my PK380, atleast to me. Shot great and accurate right out of the box.

This will be my new carry gun. I will probably have some trigger work done on it since its a DA only. The trigger was pretty consistent pull, long of course, but felt good for right out of the box.

·
Registered
924 Posts
a-squared
A friend has replaced the stock trigger assembly in his full sized XDm9 with Springer Precision parts. It did wonders, both impoving the pull and reset. He had close to fifteen hundred rounds through it last time we spoke and was very happy with it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ashe said:
XDMWarrior said:
Not sure exactly what hit the trigger. I just assumed it was the latch pin. It could have been a giant tirantula crawling across the floor that hit it. My point was it fired when it didn't need to because it was unsafely carried and doesn't have a safe to begin with.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a-squared said:
This will be my new carry gun. I will probably have some trigger work done on it since its a DA only. The trigger was pretty consistent pull, long of course, but felt good for right out of the box.
The XDM's are DA triggers? I wasn't aware that Springfield changed the trigger to DA for the XDM. So you can pull the trigger without cocking the slide and the gun will fire?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
XDMWarrior said:
Ashe said:
XDMWarrior said:
Not sure exactly what hit the trigger. I just assumed it was the latch pin. It could have been a giant tirantula crawling across the floor that hit it. My point was it fired when it didn't need to because it was unsafely carried and doesn't have a safe to begin with.
Really? I thought Glocks had a trigger safety, as does the XD(M). It just doesn't have a grip safety.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts