New Sig problem:

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by SigP229, Oct 16, 2007.

1. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Was in Hinesville last week to pick up new Sig p226 Blackwater 9mm. Josh gives you free range time when buying a gun so loaded up a mag and powpowpow....slide doesn't lock open after final round plus a couple of misfeeds. Josh comes checks it out....different mag, same result. He tries different rounds, same result....doesn't lock open and misfeeds. I had already paid for the gun and he didn't have another one. He says that he'll send it to Sig, take about a week. I ask if they'll send back a new one and he says that they'll fix it??? I really want this gun but what if I hadn't paid first and wanted to shoot it first? Would I still be obligated to buy it? I called Sig to find out why they wouldn't send a new gun and their costumer Service jerk was so rude that I ended up hanging up. Josh is a good guy and I would have bought the gun anyway but was taken back by Sig's attitude. I love Sig guns but this is the first time that I had to deal with their costumer service....has anybody else had this experience with them? Are other companies like this?
    Mission Essential still rocks!

2. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

My 226 in 9mm didn't lock the slide back every time when I first got it either. Different mags, different ammo, etc. same results. I started researching here and on SigForum and found that is pretty normal for new Sigs, especially in 9mm. I also noticed it on the 229 (.40) ls1ssdavid bought from me when we were at the range on Sunday. After putting about 20-25 mags through the 226, the slide will now lock on its own after the last round is fired, even with cheap range ammo. It is some sort of breaking in period. I don't think this is a good thing, just reality. I don't think there should be a breaking in period at all but I don't make the rules.

Not sure about the misfeeds. I didn't have that problem.

Sig Cust Serv - never had to deal with them other than answering basic questions before I bought and when I was sending in my rebate offer for the free SIG TAC gear. For that, they were fine.

Trying before you buy.......I don't think anyone will let you shoot a new pistol prior to buying it. If you decided you didn't want it, they would no longer be able to sell it as NIB. They would lose money (depreciation). That is a risk you take and probably why we all have so many pistols for sale soon after buying them.

EDIT: Sorry to hear about your troubles. I love the look of the Blackwaters.

3. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Glad to hear that the problem solved itself. I don't mean that Josh should have gotten stuck with it, just that Sig should stand behind it and send a brand new one.

4. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I didn't think that was what you meant. I just mean, you can't expect to "test fire" a brand new weapon prior to purchase. It's value would immediately go in the tank.

Check this thread out. Someone else is having the same problem as you. Check that forum out in general, if you haven't already. There is some good info.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/3161058401

5. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Thanks. Interesting reading.

6. Rolan_Kraps

Rolan_Kraps New Member

Most SIGs I've had needed to be cleaned before I shot them. The mags especially seem to be coated in a nasty grease that must be remove before I'd fire them. That includes taking them apart first.

I didn't see that gun so I can't comment on it.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yep, I'll be there somewhere around 430 today.

8. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

When I was there last week there was a guy next to me shooting one of Josh's machine guns....hard to concentrate on your target with one of those going off next to you... :D

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, I bet. I didn't check out the range, but it's an AWESOME store.

10. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I've been telling you that for months now.

Good people, too.

11. phaed

phaed Active Member

i've dealt with their customer service reps on my 556 with good results.

did you take it apart and clean/lube it before firing? i wouldn't shoot a gun out of the box without doing so. sig puts all that cosmoline-like crap on their extra mag that comes with a 226. there's no telling what could potentially be in the gun on one of the components.

12. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

No. It's about an hour ride to Mission Essential for me and seeing he was giving me free range time, I had my other Sig with me also, I thought that I'd try the 9mm out...it looked clean enough and Josh (the owner) thought something was wrong with it and sent it back to Sig.