New Shooter

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by cdtracing, Oct 7, 2007.

1. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

A few weeks ago I ran into a friend from high school who's son plays on the same football team as my son. After a conversation catching up on what we've been doing for the past 23 years we got around to me being a firearms dealer. She admitted that she had never held a gun and was some what afraid of shooting one.

Well I just had to step up and invite her go shooting with Sandy & myself one weekend. That weekend was today.

I spent the morning picking out guns that I had that would be mild enough for her to handle. Here are the ones I came up with, Glock 19, Browning Hi-Power .40, Rossi .38spl, Olympic Arms 9mm AR-15, & Marlin model 60 22LR. I didn't think she would want to go for the Desert Eagle first time out.

The first one she shot was the Glock. First shot she almost dropped it, I was there to catch it. She took the pistol back and slowly fired off the rest of the mag. Next she shot the Rossi. She didn't like the recoil from the revolver. Then came the AR. This time I see a smile developing on her face. Now we move on to the Browning. She really liked the trigger, and did real good with it hitting the metal silhouettes. Finally we get to the Marlin, more shots are hitting now.

After that we just bounced back and forth with the AR and Glock and 22. She even managed to get the obligatory hot shell casing down the front of her shirt. No I didn't offer to get it for her. My wife was 20 feet away and had the .40 in her hands.

At first she was real nervous but by the end of the afternoon she was doing well enough that I moved on to working with her grip and stance. She now wants to go again and get more practice.

She isn't going to run out buy a gun and start carrying next week, but now she is interested target shooting and no longer has a fear of firearms.

Just wanted to share with you all.

Chris

2. Claire

Claire New Member

Chris - great story - sounds like a fun day at the range :)
    LOL wise decision not reaching for the casing in the shirt

thanks for sharing

I had a Marlin model 60 many moons ago - great little gun

the girl I live with has recently mentioned that she would like to go to the range - she doesn't mind the guns in the house at all - just not sure of live rounds being fired at the range

She watched me shoot clays last week - and after that is when she mentioned target shooting with one of my smaller caliber rifles.

She shoots my BB rifle really well at about 30-40 yards - so I figure I'd start her off with a 22 single shot bolt I have.

what range do you shoot at by your way?

3. cdtracing

cdtracing New Member

I'm a member of Pickens Co. Sportsmans Club in Jasper. Right now we are full up on members and there is a waiting list to get in, but there might be some membership tuen over after the first of the year when some members don't renew.

If you want to borrow the Marlin let me know. That's a great starter rifle.

4. Claire

Claire New Member

I like jasper a lot - wanted to move there

I wish jasper was closer -- its about 45mins - an hr from where I am in acworth

I've been going to adairsville range which is only about 30 mins away

thanks for the offer to use the Marlin. :)
    I'll let her start with the Winchester I have with a peep site

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Good job. Some people's fear is unjustified. They can't say they fear it until they at least try it. Then they at least have a legitimate reason. They can't just fear them because Katie Couric said they were bad.

:lol: