New Remington 700 recall 2-17-17

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by johnski, Feb 20, 2017.

1. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

3. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

From what I can find this is still the same recall as before. It is just being republished due to so many still not being repaired. Still if you have a Remington 700 or 7 with the X-Mark Pro trigger check to see if it is on the recall list by going to http://xmprecall.remington.com and entering the SN. Two options are available to you if it is. Replace the trigger yourself with an upgrade or send the rifle in at Remington's expense and hope to get get it back some day.

4. CardsFan

CardsFan Member

The 60 minutes segment last Sunday may have something to do with it being republished. According to the segment (and keep in mind this is CBS News reporting so take it for what it's worth), the problem also existed in some Walker triggers in addition to X-Mark Pro, and may be more prone to happen with cold temperatures.

According to an expert I saw commenting on this subject on another site, the problem cannot happen if the bolt is open. Some commenters pointed out that it may only happen when the trigger was adjusted by anyone outside the factory. I have no experience with the model personally, just passing on comments I read who know far more than me concerning this.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  5. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The problem is caused by the amount of LocTite used on them. Some slipped by QC that had the excess adhesive get on the sear and slight bumps would disengage the sear and fire the rifles. This happened often enough that the recall was issued. Cleaning the excess LocTite off the trigger fixes the problem. This is not easy since it's dubbed the LocTite from hell.