New reference section: Georgia Firearm Caselaw

Discussion in 'Website & Forum Suggestions' started by Gunstar1, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

If you click on "Gun Laws" you will see a couple new buttons.

One is for the Weapons Related GA Code, which a couple of months ago I was in a rush to just get it working and never really finished it, I have now.

The second new link is to the new reference section on Georgia Firearm Caselaw. It is still under construction (cases with an * are under construction), but it is taking me so long to add them all that I figured I would open it up before I finished.

Thanks to MP, JRM, and ICP for the help... especially MP.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

3. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Wow! That's great! You somehow beat lexis-nexis at it's own game!

Maybe the code sections displayed could have relevant keywords to the side to aid in searching? I hate to nitpick but it's my job in the real world, lol!

I think this is perhaps the best local *state* site in the country, next to calguns. It sure has come a long way in the short time I've been here. Thanks!

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

nice. it just keeps getting better and better here.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yeah, I thought about it... but I already know most by there numbers so I didn't do it... guess not everybody does.

Will see what I can come up with... maybe just a couple word description or something like that.

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Caselaw page
    While it is not yet finished, it answers a lot of questions, doesn't it? :D

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Best I am going to be able to do is a Table of Contents page at the begining. Not enough room otherwise.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

The following should probably be added to the above page:

38-2-194 (Used to ban guns on military facilities under state law).

38-2-277 (Ban on parading or demonstrating with firearms).

38-2-301 (Emergency gun/ammo sales ban).

10. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I like it. It should prove to be very informative in the future.

11. merlock

merlock New Member

I like it as well.

Thanks GS! :bowdown:

12. Malum Prohibitum

Thanks!

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Done

14. Malum Prohibitum

When you click on the link, I want you to notice one thing. Read the synopsis for the first and last case. The first case declares that the Second Amendment protects open carry of a pistol, and that it applies to men, women, and boys, and protects more than simply militia arms. The last case declares that the Second Amendment has no application to Georgia.

:|

Times sure do change.

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

On the "Weapons Related GA Code" page you put 38-2-149, I though that that code section was 38-2-194. I could be wrong though BUT LexisNexis isn't working at the time so I can't check it.

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I thought that is what it was too, but my fingers disagreed while I was typing.

17. Malum Prohibitum

When you click on the link, I want you to notice one thing. Read the synopsis for the first and last case. The first case declares that the Second Amendment protects open carry of a pistol, and that it applies to men, women, and boys, and protects more than simply militia arms. The last case declares that the Second Amendment has no application to Georgia.

:|

Times sure do change.[/quote:21sj55g0]

Everybody visiting here should check out this link. It gives great insight into the way things are in Georgia, and maybe why they are the way they are - from the earliest days of the state until today.

18. Malum Prohibitum

For instance, this is in one of them:

:roll:

19. Malum Prohibitum

And when that wasn't enough to convict him, they got the jailer to testify that he tried to sell him a pistol.

If any of you have ever had a chance to read early twentieth century court transcripts with black defendants and/or witnesses, it really is an eye opening exerience.

If you can find a book called, "Lay This Body Down," it will give you some idea of what it was like (quite a bit of the testimony reproduced).