Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/19/us-gun-ownership-survey

Gun inequality: US study charts rise of hardcore super owners

Exclusive: New survey, part of most definitive portrait of gun ownership in decades, shows just 3% of American adults own half of guns in the US
Americans own an estimated 265m guns, more than one gun for every American adult, according to the most definitive portrait of US gun ownership in two decades. But the new survey estimates that 133m of these guns are concentrated in the hands of just 3% of American adults â€" a group of super-owners who have amassed an average of 17 guns each.

The unpublished Harvard/Northeastern survey result summary, obtained exclusively by the Guardian and the Trace, estimates that America’s gun stock has increased by 70m guns since 1994. At the same time, the percentage of Americans who own guns decreased slightly from 25% to 22%.
I still believe that most gun owners think 'It's none of your business if I have guns and how many I have' when surveyors ask these questions.

Mike Bazinet, a spokesman for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the firearm industry’s trade association, said he would have to defer full comment until he could read the entire survey and its methodology.

But he questioned why some results of the survey were being released before the full paper was published, and said some of the results sounded implausible.

“Really? Three per cent of American gun owners own half the guns? That seems wildly off the mark. On the surface, this survey sounds like part of the ongoing effort to minimize gun ownership to make more gun control seem politically achievable,†he wrote in an e-mail.

But Gary Kleck, a Florida State University criminologist and firearms researcher, said the concentration of most guns in the hands of a relatively small proportion of gun owners was “old newsâ€.

“It’s probably true for just about any consumer good,†he said.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,647 Posts

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
americans have been buying guns hand over fist since before it was a nation. those guns don't just disappear. very few break. very few get turned in, and most of those are resold. they have no clue how many guns exist here, and neither do i...and that makes me happy.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
"Harvard study finds unexpected surge in tragic canoe accidents among former firearms owners"

Yes, gun owners tend to lie when random people call them on the phone and ask do they own guns.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
i bet tons of publicly "anti-gun" people secretly have a gun tucked in their underwear drawer because deep down they know their bull**** philosophies really won't protect them. rules are for other people.

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See, this survey says it's true............if we pass new gun control laws like 'No Fly No Buy', assault weapons bans, high capacity magazine bans and close the 'gun show loophole', we are only really affecting 3% of the population.

See..............that wasn't hard was it?

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,911 Posts
Just more lies and BS from the pro-gun control crowd.

This is to be expected, I mean how dumb do you have to be to actually believe that ridiculous statistic?

Its fairly obvious people lie on surveys about owning guns, because they all in the back of their minds know this government is tyrannical and they know there is nothing they can do to stop it, and they know that eventually governments like this turn tyrannical and start banning guns, also history has already shown them that they will ban guns, so they are lying about them right now, afraid at some future date they will use internet postings, emails, text, Social Media Accounts and other things to help them find all the gun owners and raid their homes and arrest them while they are out buying a gallon of milk at their local grocery store.

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It's a calculated information dump. It hasn't even been peer reviewed yet and not publicly released so that we can see the methodology behind the survey.

But it is all over social media and the narrative is being pushed by the main stream media.

Northeastern University and Harvard School of Public Health did the study so it must be true. That's all that matters right now.

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
Exclusive: New survey, part of most definitive portrait of gun ownership in decades, shows just 3% of American adults own half of guns in the US
I wonder how they square away their survey results with the publicly available NICS statistics showing unprecedented huge monthly increases in FFL transfers over the past decade? The gun manufacturers are showing record sales levels. Where do they think all these guns are going? And all this is on top of the existing firearms base. Guns don't normally turn to dust after X number of years.

And what sane person honestly answers those gun surveys?

·
Just a Man
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Zogby Analytics

QUESTION: "If a national pollster asked you if you owned a firearm, would you determine to tell him or her the truth or would you feel it was none of their business?"

36% of Americans feel it is none of the pollster's business and that includes 35% of current gun owners 47% of Republicans and 42% of Independents

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...tic-and-international-concerns-300041108.html

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,608 Posts
I don't know about the statistics, but I think it's true that a smaller and smaller percentage of adults in the USA are gun owners (of functional guns that they have ammo for and know how to use), and most of the INCREASE in gun sales of the last 20 years have been hardcore gun nuts like us increasing the size of our collections.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Even if the numbers are correct, what's the point? It's ok to trample the rights of minorities because their numbers are so small?

This must mean that gay rights can be trashed, too, right? They're what, 2% of the population?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts