new member with quick questions

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Robbyb03, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Robbyb03

Robbyb03 New Member

Hey guys I'm new to this whole handgun thing. I just turned 21 and live in metro Atlanta and I'm getting to that age where I'll be on my own in a few years so I feel the need to get a handgun in case I ever needed it for protection. I'm just getting into range shooting(I've been shooting for a while, but not handguns). I'm kind of torn between a Glock 19 and a Sig 229 or 226, but that's for another topic I guess. Some quick questions for anyone who will answer...

--Some on here refer to a 'GFL'. Is that just another name for a concealed weapons permit or is it something totally different?
    --While waiting for my concealed weapons permit, can I carry my firearm in my car with the magazine in the gun? Do I have to keep it in 'full view' or can I put it under my seat, in the glove compartment, or in my console?
    --Can I 'open carry' while waiting for my permit or do I need the permit in order to open carry?
    --What is the maximum capacity I can carry in a magazine? I know they come in 15,17,19, and 31 round magazines, so I was just wondering which one I can/should choose.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. I love the site and I've learned a lot from reading over all the posts on here.
    Thanks again guys/gals,
    Rob

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Welcome to GPDO Robbyb03.

A Georgia Firearm License (GFL) permits someone to carry their weapon concealed or openly. There is no concealed weapons permit in Georgia.

Yes you can carry it in your car while you are waiting for your permit IF you have it in the center console, glove box, or in plain view. And by plain view, as defined by the Georgia Supreme Court, you would have to have it visible from all angles to all people at all times. Basically, you have to duct tape it to your forehead to borrow a phrase from MP. You cannot have it under the seat. That is illegal.

You cannot open carry without a GFL in Georgia.

No restrictions on magazine capacity in Georgia. Carry what works for you.

I advise you get a Glock 19, but I am biased.

3. Robbyb03

Robbyb03 New Member

Thanks a lot man. I greatly appreciate the response. Now about my decision between the Glock 19 and the Sig 226 or 229. Have you had any experience with any of them to offer advice on which to buy? I've shot a Glock 17, Springfield 1911, and a Rock Island 1911 so far. I liked the feel of the Glock, but I was much more accurate with the .45 caliber handguns(I think because the sights seemed easier to line up). Would you suggest another brand as a good beginner handgun to get into competitive shooting/ personal defense?

4. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Simple, buy more than one :)

For your first, I would go with the firearm that is natural for you to operate. Whatever you practice frequently with, you will become accurate enough.

Does it irrationally freak you out to think of having the hammer back when you're carrying in your house, or at the gas station (after your GFL)? If so, then a 1911 isn't the first you should go with.

Does a manual external safety (like on the 1911) give you warm and fuzzies that will make you comfortable enough to carry it whenever you are legally permitted? Go with a 1911 then.

For instance, I owned a Sig for years that had no external manual safety, only a decocker. I never had a round in the chamber unless I was at the range. That little configuration gets you nowhere in a self defense situation. However, after buying my first 1911, the only time a round isn't in the chamber is when I'm cleaning it.

A .45 that sits next to your bed 24x7 isn't very useful when you need it. A .32 that you carry 100% of the time is far more valuable than a book end.

As for capacity, it depends on your tolerance for weight. The thirty round mags aren't going to fit flush, they're going to hang out like the drool on a hound. Picking the caliber and weapon you're comfortable with will likely solve 90% of this question for you. I'm fine with 7+1, because I don't waste ammo :)

5. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

6. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

go to a range that rents them and shoot all the models you can.

I have never shot a sig but am totally in :love: with my g19. It's easy to shoot, easy to clean, relatively cheap ammo for practice, dependable, and the size is perfect for me with my small hands.

if you like the .45 caliber shoot some glocks in that caliber and see how you like them... if you are comparing a 1911 to a glock then shoot the .45 caliber for comparison instead of the g19.

welcome and ditto all the advice above.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

For me personally, I have tried to like the Sigs. I am sure they are a fantastic weapon, but they just feel awkward in my hand. I have a Glock 19 and a Glock 23. I will never sell my 19, ever.

The Glock 19 is a relatively cheap weapon compared to the Sig. It is easy to maintain and clean. Also, you will be able to work on your own gun should you desire to do so.

Those 1911s were more accurate because they are built tighter. But that is why you can't get them a little dirty cause they will crap out on ya.

Next time I am up your way you can join me at the range and shoot my 19 as much as you want so you can get a feel for it.

8. Robbyb03

Robbyb03 New Member

--I liked the .45 calibers when I shot them, but I don't think I could walk around with the hammer back because I would be afraid of it accidentially firing if the manual safety happened to turn off.
    --I like the Glock 19 a lot because when I've cleaned Glocks before it took only like 10-15 minutes to have it perfectly clean and put back together. The only thing I don't seem to like about the Glock is that it has no external safety, except for not pulling the trigger.
    --"I never had a round in the chamber unless I was at the range. That little configuration gets you nowhere in a self defense situation."...That's the reason I'm scared to get a Glock because it would do me no good if I don't have a round in the chamber when I needed it most. I don't want it to go off accidentially by having a round in the chamber. I'm kind of torn between what to do(carry a round in the chamber and take the chance of it going off or not carrying a round in the chamber and having to load one when I might need that split second in a bad situation). Anyone else have the same problem with their thoughts on this when they first decided what to do?

9. Robbyb03

Robbyb03 New Member

Thanks for the sites. I'm new(last year or so) to the whole firearm thing. My parents have never hunted, but only fished. I got into bow hunting the last year and I'm hooked now! I'm trying to learn as much as I can because the more knowledge I have, the better for me and other people. I'm going to apply for my permit next week, so I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes with Rockdale County. I still don't think I'll open carry, but I'll definately conceal carry whenever possible.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I don't understand.

Since when do pistols randomly fire?

Put it in a holster. Follow the four rules. Life will go on.

There is no possible way that a Glock can fire unless you are negligent in allowing the trigger to actuate.

Edit: I come off like too much of an asshole in this post. The internet needs to come up with a way to convey tone.

11. Robbyb03

Robbyb03 New Member

That would be awesome because I don't want to buy a model and then end up not liking how it feels, fires, or cleans up. Whenever you happen to be up near Atlanta(I live like 10 minutes from the DeKalb shooting range and like 30 minutes from Charlie Elliot) just let me know and I'll go out and buy ammo for you and me to both shoot. I'll also help clean the gun afterwards because I need all the practice I can get at everything related to handguns because I have little to no experience with them.

12. Robbyb03

Robbyb03 New Member

Just fears I guess because I'm a beginner to this whole thing. I was just thinking of it going off if the trigger got snagged on something or if I dropped it. I'll get over those fears I guess with more confidence around handguns. That makes sense though, it won't go off unless I do something dumb to make it go off. I feel better already after reading that.

13. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Caveat: while the Glock and xD amuse me for various reasons, I can't see carrying either one on the body in a civilian atmosphere. I know, plenty of people do it, but I'm just not one of them at this point.

Grip safety, too... If your hand isn't gripping it, nothing's happening.

So you've got a grip safety on both Glock and 1911, but the addition of a manual external safety you're afraid you'll forget to engage. Well, every time you *don't* forget to engage it, your mind is more at ease than with the Glock, yes? Engaging the safety becomes like part of brushing your teeth: you don't think about taking the cap off the toothpaste, you just do it. I get kinda OCD about it and force the "chamber, safety, holster" routine to *not* happen in a subconscious been-there-done-this-1,000-times state.

There was a video somewhere that simulated the guy in the car in front of you getting out of his car, "jogging" and put himself in position to put a bat through your windshield. Elapsed time barely over 2 seconds, IIRC. Not enough time to draw, chamber a round, and fire unless you're in one of them wild west circus shows. Not having a round in the chamber may work for a gun next to the bed, but I don't think it works in any circumstance when carrying in the car or on the person.

Buuut, the vast majority (or at least 50%, correct me someone) of self defense uses of firearms don't involve anyone pulling the trigger. Do you want to bank on the percentages, though, when so much is at stake?

Since I've only open carried in Louisiana, and never CC anywhere (yet; Sheila, listen to your Voicemail!), I'm just speaking from my personal experience and thoughts. One of those, "rather carry with a round in the chamber 10,000 times and never need it than carry with no round in the chamber once and need it."

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Please explain.

15. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

And, if you buy a new gun, put 200 rounds through it, it's not like you've welded the thing to the back of head. You can turn around and sell it, then buy what you like. The polymer framed weapons are basically what most people seem to spend on a car payment these days. It's an "expensive" way to rent, but it's not like you and the weapon instantly become BFF and get each other's name and model tattooed on you :)

16. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

The first time I carried off of property I owned was barely two months ago. I've never had a holster better than a generic Uncle Mike (KD leather should be here this week). I don't yet have a gun belt that will keep the thing from sliding around. I don't yet know exactly where the perfect carry spot on my strong side is, taking into account cars, office chairs, etc.

Do I do something when getting in and out of the car that pulls the weapon out of the holster, etc? I just don't know yet. So I need the warm and fuzzies that studying exploded diagrams of internal safety mechanisms doesn't give me in light of my general inexperience walking around a bunch of GFWs.

The mechanisms I can see on the 1911, and understand on the monkey level of my brain, reduce the perceived risk of inadvertent actions.

A negligent discharge into the dirt among friends in the woods or around people wearing BDUs is cause for ribbing and general trash talking. An ND in DeKalb is cause to have my dog shot by the SWAT team.

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Put the gun in a quality holster. Problem solved.

18. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Welcome to GDPO!!!

If you want to try a few different models, there are a few of us that meet about once a month at Bullseye Marksman in Cumming. I can let you put some rounds through my Glock 17, Walther PPK/S (.380),and my wife's Springfield XD-9. My next few weekends are shot, no pun intended, butI normally shoot on a weekly basis. If you want to come up and meet me you can try them out.