New member with Marin County, CA with an interesting story..

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by katertot, Jul 12, 2006.

1. katertot

katertot New Member

Hi Everyone! My name is Kate and I live in Marin County, California. I am 23 years old and my dad lives in Georgia. Although I live in the liberal mecca of the universe, I am a card carrying Libertarian.

I wanted to share a funny/interesting story about some events that happened while I was at the gym yesterday. Needless to say, I got in a little trouble...

SO I am on the treadmill at Elan Fitness Center, an all women's gym located in San Anselmo (remember I live in Marin - the land of bicyclists, hikers and hot tubs). I have a routine of running for about 30 minutes on the treadmill and then cooling down at a brisk walk for about ten minutes after that. At my gym, there are televisions set up in front of all the cardio machines so we can be entertained while working out. Yesterday, CNN (Communist News Network) happened to be on the TV in front of my treadmill. The close captioning was on and there was a lady jogging next to me.

CNN was running a story about how some politician was working on a plan to hinder our right to own guns and violate our rights as Americans (okay, that’s not what CNN said – they made it sound *cough* positive). Anyway, CNN ran this story and under my breath I made a “psh!†sound and also muttered in a whisper, “lameâ€. The woman next to me immediately turned her head and said, “I know – isn’t it sad how all those kids are getting shot all the time. Its about time someone finally is putting their foot down and getting rid of guns once and for all...â€

Oh no. She just opened a can of smart-ass. I looked at her for a moment, she looked like a typical Marin county soccer mom – probably mid-forties. “Actually,†I said, “I am completely against all of these rules and regulations that are violating our rights as Americans. Per the constitution, I have a right to carry/own/keep a gun if I want to… this guy is trying to take that away from meâ€.

She ranted for a while, and I listened. Most of her points were moot, but then she said: “The 2nd amendment is outdated. It should have been removed long ago.â€

Alright Marinite! You asked for it… I will see your ignorance and raise you some common sense!!!

“So... you are saying that since the constitution was written 200+ years ago, that the logic is outdated?†I asked (please keep in mind that I am not being mean, raising my voice or getting weird… just having a conversation while attempting to keep my heart rate in my target zone).

“Yes†she said matter of factly.

“Okay, so to be fair, all of that logic should be reviewed right?†She didn’t say anything. Just looked at me funny.

“Amendment number one: freedom of religion, Well, back in the day, one of the reasons we fled to this nice chunk of land was to escape religious persecution. Now that everything’s fine and dandy, maybe the government should impose one religion for everyone so as not to have people arguing about that stuff anymore? No more hippy weird stuff…â€

“…And freedom of speech and expression. There is too much name calling, profanity, violence and nudity in movies. Now that that amendment is outdated, we really should censor everything so our kids grow up to be sheltered and protected. Fine anyone who says the word “shit†at least $20â€

“Ohh – here’s a good few: 4th, 5th and 6th amendments! That amendment was stuffed in there because there were people being unfairly prisoned… that NEVER happens anymore… lets ditch that one since the government knows best...â€

“What are you getting at?†she asked.

“I am trying to explain that most of the items that are on the bills of rights are interpreted literally. FREEDOM OF SPEECH. FREEDOM OF RELIGION. RIGHT TO SPEEDY TRIAL… they are all pretty self explanatory. Why should one amendment be interpreted differently? You can’t pick both sides – either support the constitution or throw it out completelyâ€â€¦ I swear at this point she actually contemplated life without any rights…

She looked a little angry and then came the big diversion: “Well kids are dying and crime is up. They need to get guns off the streetsâ€. Again she started ranting about the kids and crime and murders and the Million Moron – oops I mean Mom – March, and other countries and the war in the Gulf…

Oh Lord…

“You are switching arguments – but I see your point. If you were a criminal and there were two towns next to each other. One town you know no one had guns and the other you know that everyone is probably packing – which would you choose to rob?â€

At this point the hysterics began. She ranted for about 5 minutes about how guns were evil, how people who owned them, shot them, thought about them, supported them, etc.. were all evil, heartless killers. Good thing I still had 3 minutes to go on my treadmill – or else I would have asked her if she wanted to see my .45 I keep in my gym bag (I am kidding… no guns for me in California).

Instead I listened to her for a while. Like the classic Marin liberal she is, she kept switching subjects and arguments and seemed to be getting extremely emotional and upset.

Then the final straw:

“You are just wrong!!!!†she shrieked. Keep in mind that I have been very diplomatic up until this point. I never said anything to personally attack her or said anything insulting. The context of her saying I was wrong, was not that my argument was wrong, but that I was bad person – that I was wrong and evil – like the guns I seem to have an interest in protecting. To me, this crosses a line. I have now been attacked.

“Well, you are STUPID!†I have this great trait that I have inherited from my dad. We can sound like a total smart ass at any time. Its great. We can smile and call someone a big fat dumb cow on a treadmill and still look sweet.

…it didn’t work this time. I felt like slapping her.

It was like slow motion – I saw her manicured hand reach for the emergency stop button on her treadmill. She immediately ran out of the cardio room toward the front desk. I slowed my treadmill to a stop when I heard her screaming to the receptionist that I had called her stupid and that I was some crazy person…

I walked out into the lobby and (calmly) explained that we were having a conversation and it suddenly went bad and she verbally attacked me, so I reacted.

“I pay good money to come to this gym! I do not want to be called stupid during my hour of cardio!!†She shrieked.

“Um, excuse me… I pay the same amount every month as you. I was finishing my workout peacefully and made a comment to myself about a news program and you decided to spew your dogma on me! I apologize for calling you stupid, that was immature of me, but I do not appreciate someone telling me that what I believe is wrong. And by the way, I am entitled to my opinion.. I think there’s some piece of paper back east that grants me that right…â€

She was in hysterics. The receptionist was dumbfounded and didn’t know what to do. I was on the verge of cracking up with laughter.

I finally decided to throw in the towel on this fight and told the receptionist that there was nothing to worry about and that I am laving for the night and would be back tomorrow for yoga class. She explained to me that I needed to not argue with other clients – I agreed and asked her to make sure she told the lady freaking out on the couch the same thing. I think I got my point across.

How ironic that the screaming liberal from Marin, couldn’t have a nice healthy debate without changing the subject 4 times, getting really emotional, and (surprise! running to “The Man†when she couldn’t handle it anymore. Some people just always need someone to protect them and take care of them. Its sad really.

Anyway, that’s my story. I told my dad about it and he said I should post it up here. Hope you all enjoyed it!

:)
    Kate

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Thanks for the story Kate. I lived in Novato from 1988 to 1990 while I was stationed with Marine Securty Forces Battalion across the bay at Mare Island. I am an ultra conservative, Life Member of the NRA, a very active hunter, a competitive shooter and a United States Marine with stickers all over the windows of my truck letting everyone else know it. So, you can imagine the looks and attitude I got living in Marin County. Now that I'm retired from the Corps and living in Georgia i can rest in the knowledge that if I never step foot in California again the rest of my life it will be just fine with me! Good luck with the bowl of granola (what aint fruits and nuts is flakes) you got going there. If your in Novato sometime there used to be a great little italian sub shop that made increadible sausage and pepper subs, can't remember the name, I think the road it was on was redwood or something similar. Thanks again for sharing.

3. katertot

katertot New Member

I know exactly the sandwich place you are talking about! Its clled Italian Delight! That place is great...

I will try to deal with these morons out here! My dad lived in CA for his whole life and move to GA a few years ago - he seems happeir than ever now! I am sure he will be even happier when he finally gets his CC licence (after 6 months of waiting...)

-k

4. USMC - Retired

That's the place! Funny, it hardly seems like sixteen years ago...

5. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Funny story. I would not have bothered to stop what I was doing to follow her into the lobby, though.

She was stupid.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Kate, that story was hilarious!

I lived in southern California for about five years, so I know about what it was like. The public school teachers there are still complaining about Ronald Reagan in class.

In fariness, though, if you live in a county that issues firearms licenses, you are in one way better off than in Georgia, as you can carry almost anywhere. California does not have that many places off limits.

Visit our Places Off Limits forum to discovery just how many places are off limits in Georgia. It is more than any other state in the nation that actually issues any kind of carry license.

Maybe that will change . . . but not if people like your treadmill workout partner move here! Just smile and wave and say "hi!" to her tomorrow - I would love to hear her reaction.

7. Taler

Taler New Member

I don't know which gym, or which sandwich shop, but I know that young lady and have seen her put a 15 hole smiley face in a target at 21 feet!

Terrific response Kate. I'm proud of you for taking on the battle for our rights.

When're you coming to visit?

Taler

8. Malum Prohibitum

I think we have identified Dad. :)

9. USMC - Retired

Gee MP, your just as quick as GS1 says.... :wink:

10. katertot

katertot New Member

Dad - dont know when I am coming to visit. Its hard to get time off work :(

BUT, when I DO come out to Jaw-juh, can we please go shooting? ;)

I will definately see that woman again I am sure - its a very small gym. Hopefully she wont freak out agiain. I seriosuly have never seen anyone get so emotional and hysterical in a public place!

11. Malum Prohibitum

Hysteria is from a Greek word, hyster, meaning uterus.

Seriously.

They thought hysteria was uniquely female (they never met a twenty first century American male), and so they looked for a physiologial cause.

I usually point that out to hysterical men, in today's age.

:wink:

12. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Sounds like many a conversation I have had in Kalifornia. I lived in the SF Bay area for 5 years, 1996 to 2000. My business partners are still in SF. What a whacky place! Don't even get me started, as they say! They believe folks like us are really just back woods cowboys, who, by the way, probably don't even love our kids.

13. grayelky

grayelky New Member

Can't say as I have ever been to Calif. It sounds more like the Peoples Repukeit of Kommefornia. I have spent a good bit of time in East Cobb. Sounds like the ones who were not liberal enough got kicked out of Marin Co. and landed in East Cobb.

14. merlock

merlock New Member

I was born and raised in the SF bay area. Only been back 5 times since I joined the AF in 79.

Other than the weather, I do not miss it one bit.

Unfortunately, people like Kate's new friend are the rule, not the exception.