New Member w/online purchase question

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by DG, Mar 7, 2006.

1. DG

DG New Member

I'm considering a purchase online, and am unclear as to the role a FFL dealer plays in the process? Also, (and this may be a ridiculous question) can I purchase online if I do not yet have my license, or is it better to wait till I have one.

Thanks, and am likin' the site so far!
    dg

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

License status does not matter for purchase of any firearm.

Online purchase from a different state means that the place you buy it from will have to ship the gun to a local Licensed Gun Dealer (FFL) that you give them (you will need the FFL's address and license number). When the firearm arrives the FFL will run the NICS check on you and then give you the gun (some Dealers charge $10-$25 for this service).

The down side is if you find a gun online $50 cheaper than your local store, with $25 or so shipping (you will want insurance) and a possible $25 transfer fee, you have saved no money.

3. DG

DG New Member

Thanks for the info and the quick reply.

Yeah, I've considered the savings on shipping/transfer fee vs. tax. In this case I think I'd come out better as I'm looking at a lightly used gun rather than new. It's a Beretta PX4 9mm, guy's asking $425 shipped and includes 3 17 round mags, no backstraps.

I should probably jump on this, huh?
    |dg