Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All...

My name is Brad and I am a long time lurker and a first time poster here on this board.

I am an ex-Air Force F-15 Crew Chief OIF Veteran. Separated, not retired. I am currently a Gov't contractor as a mechanic working on the Predator. Ironically enough, right now I am sitting in a hotel room the night before I deploy to Afghanistan.

I have held a CCW in Florida when I was stationed and now hold one in my home state of Georgia. I daily carry a Sub-Compact XD-40.

I have one question for everyone here.... It's a big one.

My fiancee says she hates guns. I know, I know... I should have let her go a long time ago but life is just amazing with her. I tend to believe that her so called "hatred" for guns is her lack of experience and just plain ignorance of them. She has never been around them and is stuck on all the stories of kids killing each other showing off dad's guns. She won't even walk on my right side when I carry because "you never know what might happen" if she touches it. She has accepted the fact that I will always own them, shoot them, carry them, and teach my future kids about them?

What's my best course of action to ease her into the gun world?

Have a good one and God Bless!!!

-Brad

Edit: I also just joined GCO at the Gun show in Rome a couple weeks ago!!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Thank you for your service and stay safe while you're over there.

I'm not sure what to tell you about getting her more comfortable around guns. Usually when someone is afraid of something either they do not understand it or they understand it very well. It sounds to me that she is one of those that does not understand how everything really works when it comes to a gun and how they operate.

It might help to get her involved in a starter class with someone that can explain everything about a gun and teach her how it operates. A female instructor might help her feel more comfortable also.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
rubberduk said:
I also just joined GCO at the Gun show in Rome a couple weeks ago!!
Welcome!

·
Registered
707 Posts
First off, Welcome Aboard from just down the coast in Camden County!

rubberduk said:
I have one question for everyone here.... It's a big one.

My fiancee says she hates guns. I tend to believe that her so called "hatred" for guns is her lack of experience and just plain ignorance of them. She has never been around them and is stuck on all the stories of kids killing each other showing off dad's guns. She won't even walk on my right side when I carry because "you never know what might happen" if she touches it. She has accepted the fact that I will always own them, shoot them, carry them, and teach my future kids about them?
Well, that IS a touchy situation. First of all, you said she accepts you AND your carrying/owning/shooting guns. That a good start. She'd better if she's marrying ya!

rubberduk said:
What's my best course of action to ease her into the gun world?
.....and there's your own answer....ease her into it. She's heard ALL the stories....the bad ones.....and they, coupled with never having had ANYTHING to do with firearms, sounds like the cornerstone of her fears.

Prior to marrying my better-half, she had never had anything to do with firearms either. She knew I carried right off....well before we began dating....and her knowledge of my military background and training, both military AND my 'extracriccular' training, eased her mind and her acceptence into my world.
At one point, I sat her down on our bed and showed her, not so much 'taught' but just showed her, everything. If I carry and have guns around, then she was to have 'something' to ease her mind a little.... a base-line, hands-on knowledge. I took two pistols....a G23 and a Ruger P85.....out and we went over them in detail. I showed her how I SAFELY unload 'em, how to load the magizines, loading the guns, safeties, taking them down to 'parade rest' and cleaning....I even put a plastic 'dummy' round in them and ....droped them. We both 'manhandled' them, covered various ways she thought a gun 'might' just 'go-off'. They didn't. I did the exact same thing with my son and two daughters later on. Now, only you and your soon-to-be better-half will know when that time is right for the both of you.....and what/how I did with my family might or might not be what's right for you and yours, but it's something to consider.

Also, start showing her the 'other' stories....where the 'good-guys' were 'saved' by having a gun. There's PLENTY of those around. Keep an open discourse/communication about your guns......and everything else for that matter. Your guns were for your own protection......and now, even more importantly.....her protection. Make sure she knows that. Let her hear it. Who knows, a range-day might be planned a little later on down the road :righton: .

Congratulations on your engagement! Stay Safe while your down-range and watch your six!

.....and again, Welcome to the fourm!

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
rubberduk, welcome. I'll be at the show in Cartersville at the GCO table tomorrow. If you come out for the show stop by and introduce yourself.

Here is a pretty good thread about those you love and firearms. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=52730&hilit=sister+guns

·
Registered
156 Posts
Welcome from Rabun County! :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Welcome from Marietta.
Thanks for your service.

:righton:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks for your service and continue to stay safe.

Welcome !

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Welcome from Hinesville and thank-you for your service! Education / exposure is the only way you might win her over. I suggest a female only type class with a competent instructor.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Welcome! Thank you for your service as well.

As far as women and firearms, I find that the slow and patient method works best with them. My wife didn't hate guns by any means, but she didn't like to see them out and about, it didn't matter if they were loaded or not.

Now three years later she is carrying a firearm on her own, by herself in public with a GWL.

·
******* Engineer
1,838 Posts
Welcome from Adairsville.

My best advice is patience. My wife knew from the start that I carried, and accepted that even tho she had a fear of guns after being robbed at gunpoint. I have been patient, never pushing, and between me and her father, we finally got her to the range a couple of weeks ago. Suprisingly, she was putting 5 of 5 shots in kill zones after just a few minutes. Afterwards, she started talking about how I probably needed to instruct her in the maintenance and cleaning of the guns in the near future.

No, she's not carrying (yet), but she has come a long way from when we first got together. So, be patient. Best advice I can give.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Welcome and thank you for putting your life on the line for my freedom.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts