Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

New member from Dodge City... I mean, Clayton County.

2K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  Corbomite 
#1 ·
I went to renew my GFL in late December/early January which I have had for 15 years. I knew it would take longer with the new process, but after six months I called to check on it.

The clerk told me they needed more info and I could come in and talk to them. I went in and discovered they had delayed issue due to a TPO on my record from April, 2001, which automatically expired in October, 2001 (ex-wife vindictiveness).

I had to submitt a written summary explaining the TPO, details of the incident, and current disposition. After another month I called and the clerk said the judge wants to know if I would like a hearing. I said yes and filled out a request for a hearing.

I then started researching the state laws and discovered GCO. I began reading about GCO and some of the case law and immediately joined. I was able to attend the summer luncheon and meet some members and I'm trying to recruit more.

I'll give an update on my hearing later, but I am so glad to be a part of GCO.

#10 ·
rvaughn1 said:
. . . after six months I called to check on it.

The clerk told me they needed more info and I could come in and talk to them.
I wonder if she was ever going to tell you that on her own or she was just waiting for you to call. Maybe she was just about to dial your number when the phone rang . . .

"Hey, I was just about to call you!"

:lol:

#25 ·
rvaughn1 said:
they had delayed issue due to a TPO on my record from April, 2001, which automatically expired in October, 2001
:-k I am trying to figure out why this would be so potentially disqualifying as to require a hearing?

129(b)(1) Any person who is prohibited from possessing firearms pursuant to 18 U.S.C. Section 922 . . .

18 U.S.C. 922(d)(8 )
(8 ) is subject to a court order that restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child, except that this paragraph shall only apply to a court order thatâ€"
(A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had the opportunity to participate; and
(B)
(i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or
(ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury; or

#26 ·
rvaughn1 said:
after six months I called to check on it.

The clerk told me they needed more info . . .

. . .

I had to submitt a written summary explaining . . .

After another month I called . . .

clerk said the judge wants to know if I would like a hearing. I said yes and filled out a request for a hearing.
If you had not gotten on to them, you would still be waiting.

The burden should be on them to move the process along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.