Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hadn't realized they took flags out of class rooms. I liked living in Tucson 1977-85 but I'm really liking Arizona now... :D

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... s0625.html

New law puts U.S. flag, federal documents on display in every classroomMeghan E. Moravcik
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 24, 2007 10:16 PM

School officials across the state are hoisting flags and tacking up copies of the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights to meet requirements of a new law going into effect on Sunday.

Every public classroom in every school, from Grade 7 up to the college and university level, must display an American-made American flag along with the documents.

The law originally said that all flags must be 2 feet by 3 feet, but legislators have since adjusted the law to allow any flag that is visible, easily recognized, and not made of paper, so that schools don't yet have to replace those.

Some Valley community groups are stepping up to help districts meet the deadline.

More than 500 Peoria Unified classrooms were outfitted with flags and copies of the U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights, thanks to a $12,000 donation from Hickman Family Farms. And the Scottsdale Area Association of Realtors donated 300 flags to the Scottsdale Unified School District.

But some districts had to shell out for the new materials. Mesa Public Schools spent about $5,300 on getting documents and flags to classrooms that did not yet have them. The Tempe Union High School District spent nearly $1,800 for 262 flags.

Parent Sharon Shindel said she thinks the new law "is going overboard."

"All students should be exposed to and learn about the flag, the Constitution, (and) the Bill of Rights as part of their studies. But just because it's hanging on the wall doesn't mean the students are really going to learn much about these subjects," said Shindel, a Phoenix resident. "I'd like to see the Legislature ensuring we have the resources and curriculum to teach these subjects."

Colleges and universities also are affected because many of their classrooms are not equipped with the flags and documents.

Arizona community colleges needed to convert 2,500 classrooms, and the three state universities were looking to convert more than 1,400 classrooms.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
In EVERY classroom might be a bit much, but in this case I'll happily err on the side of overdoing it compared to the alternative.

+1

·
Registered
252 Posts
I remember saying the pledge of alliegance all the way through school, every day. And you can't say the pledge without a flag. This wasn't that long ago either, I graduated in 03. Maybe they do things differently in Arizona?

Looking back I realize it was indoctrination and I'm not saying that stupid pledge ever again. But their heart is in the right place I guess.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The Constitution with its amendments and the Declaration of Independence should be in every classroom.

I think one flag per school is enough, since we only had one set of the National Colors per post. Some folks go a little overboard with Ol' Glory ;)

·
Registered
780 Posts
Now if they'll only teach the kids to READ the Constitution and Bill of Rights, without left wing spin, we might be getting somewhere.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Foul said:
Now if they'll only teach the kids to READ the Constitution and Bill of Rights, without left wing spin, we might be getting somewhere.
+1

I'm afraid that those documents are more of a history lesson if anything to most "teachers."

·
Registered
220 Posts
The better search would be to find a teacher that could teach anything about the constitution or the history of the flag

1 - 12 of 12 Posts