New holster

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by lostprofit, Sep 22, 2010.

1. lostprofit

lostprofit New Member

Got a new Don Hume H715 in the mail today. I've been wearing it around pretty much since I got it. It'll do for now. But, I think I'll be talking to Zookeeper pretty soon. :wink:

[​IMG]

eta: I really wish I could cant it forward.

2. lostprofit

lostprofit New Member

Okay, so after wearing it around for the past 2 days I've come to the opinion that it's okay, but not great. I e-mailed Crossbreed to see if they do any "custom" work and was told that they don't since they are a relatively small operation. Completely understandable. So, I shot an email over to another company to verify that they DO make a holster for a 2.5" bbl k-frame and have not heard anything back in 4 days. Oh well, a little disappointing considering the response I got from Crossbreed was maybe 4 hours after I e-mailed them. I'm big on customer service.
    So, last night I decided to order some kydex and I'm going to try to make my own iwb holster similar to the SuperTuck and Comptac. We'll see how it goes.

3. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Will be interested to see what you come up with. And yeah, the "perfect" solution always seems just out of reach one way or another....

4. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

http://www.steyrclub.com/vb/showthread. ... ming-Kydex

He makes it look like a 5 minute project...

For a one-off, you can skip the bandsaw and possibly the dremel. Kydex cuts easily with a knife and gentle pressure. Just go easy and take your time. If you decide to make a living out of that though, use the saw and dremel. ;)

5. bricker

bricker Member

You.....must.....talk.....to.....Zookeper :shock:

6. lostprofit

lostprofit New Member

Oh, I plan on it. But this experiment is going IWB. I think I want one of his purdy ones for OWB. :wink:

7. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

I made a holster just like the supertuck for my brother in law. Cost about 10 bucks in materials and took me about 20 minutes.

8. lostprofit

lostprofit New Member

Cool, that's kinda what I'm doing. I thought the Supertuck was great when I had my XDm. Now, to find a nice piece of leather to hack.

9. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Crossbreed on the left, the one I made on the right. After I made it I was kinda mad that I spent 80 bucks on something anyone can make. But hey, dude is doing good for himself, so that's cool.

[​IMG]

10. turbobird83

turbobird83 New Member

I made this one for my LCP.

[​IMG]

11. lostprofit

lostprofit New Member

Nice. Where did you guys get your leather? I was thinking maybe Tandy or someplace like that.

12. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

I have been getting mine at Tandy. I'm about to move to another supplier though. If you are going to get some leather to make one, I would suggest a 7/8 oz leather. Seems to work better. I use 6 oz for holsters, but the heavier for the ones like above.

13. turbobird83

turbobird83 New Member

I got my leather from Tandy as well. 8/9 oz. vegetable tanned leather. It has worked ok but I think im going to try some Wickett and Craig the next time.

14. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

8/9 is a little thick for a regular holster. If you try 6/7 you will get better results, bones a lot better as well.

15. turbobird83

turbobird83 New Member

Yea I think I will try the 6/7 oz. the next time. It is really tough to get the definition I want when boning with the thicker leather.