New here and from NY

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by JustAdam, Jan 1, 2007.

1. JustAdam

JustAdam New Member

First, great board. I'm a transplant from NYC and have a few questions, some i think i know from reading this board, others, a bit lost.

In NYC i had a "Target Permit" whick took almost 1 year to obtain and about $100 or so dollars. I found out about my move to GA right after getting this, so except for target time with family members(PD) i did not get to buy a firearm. Now i am in Forsyth county and want to geta firearm for home, and maybe carry. Are the steps the same for carry and home? is there different permits here as there are in NYC? i see there are concerns on timelines to obtain, but compared to what i am use to, there is no issues.

So i need to go to the probate office to apply? My NYC permit will not help i assume, i will have to do the background again and pay? any step by step help would be great!

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Welcome to Georgia JustAdam. I'll try to answer your questions in order.

The steps are different for carry and home. For home protection all you need to do is swing by your local gun shop and buy a firearm that fits both your hands and your needs. Ideally, you will want to go and rent a bunch of different weapons and try them out. Naturally, I am biased towards Glocks so that is what I recommend. I am driving back to school late 4 December, but if you have the free time to go to the range before the 4th (or early that day) I'll let you shoot my Glock 19 and 23. Send me a PM if you are interested.

There are no different permits. Only the Georgia Firearms License (GFL). The GFL allows one to legally carry a pistol concealed or openly.

Here is the process for obtaining your GFL in Forsyth county. CLICK HERE

Hope that answers your questions. If you have more we'll be more than glad to help.
    No, your NYC permit is of no use here. Yes, you will have to do a background check when you buy the pistol (assuming you do not have a GFL by that time), and you will also have to get a background check when you apply for your GFL. There is no cost for the instant background check when you purchase a pistol.

3. JustAdam

JustAdam New Member

Rammstein, thats real nice of you, and very informative. i have been to the range in NY a few times and have shot the 19 and 22, both very nice, along with a Taurus, and an old service revolver. is the 22 and 23 similar? i appreciate the offer to go to the range, but with linigering family in town this week, that would be impossable. can i take you up on that offere at a later time?

so i can currently purchase a handgun for my home and also apply at the same time for a GFL? one backgrond check will have no effect on the other i assume, not like multipule credit card checks huh?

4. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

No.

When you purchase a handgun, you will be required to fill out a form (4473) and submit to a background check via the NICS. The dealer will read your information from the form while on the phone with the FBI. You will likely be approved in a few minutes and walk out with your handgun. If you have a similar name to a known crook, you may be delayed. You may have to wait up to 3 days if delayed. This "background" check is based solely on your SSN, name and other identifiers such as height, weight, address, DOB... etc.

To get your GFL, you'll have to submit to a background check, but unlike when you purchase your handgun, you'll have to submit fingerprints to the probate court in your county. The general procedure is to go to your local probate court, pay money and get the form. Take form to the police and get fingerprints done. Pay for those and give them your form. They'll take care of the rest and you'll get your GFL in a month to 6 months. That's the simplified directions... your county and where you go to get things done is specific to you.

I think you'll be amazed at the difference between here and NYC. If you like shooting or just want one for self-defense, it's easy... providing you don't meet any prohibitive criteria.

Welcome to the board!! There is a crapload of info here...

5. JustAdam

JustAdam New Member

thanks, any advice on local ranges or shops in cumming or close to? new or used?

as for the differance between NY and GA, it would be easier to type the similarities then to type ALL the differences. everyone is just so nice, and im still looking for what their angles are :lol: .

6. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob New Member

Ranges

There is a range IN Cumming:

Bull's Eye Marksman and Gun Club, LLC
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NSSF MEMBER
    6190 Parkway North Drive
    Cumming, GA 30040
    Last Modified: 8/30/2005 1:37:33 PM

Phone Info

Range Offers
    • Center-Fire Rifle-Indoor 75ft max
    • Clubhouse
    • Food Service
    • Handgun/Smallbore Rifle-Indoor 75ft max
    • Instruction Available
    • Law Enforcement Facility
    • Memberships Available
    • Public
    • Public Access
    • Rentals
    • Retail

There are several others in the metro area. Most/all are listed at wheretoshoot.org.

Welcome to GA!! :welcome:

7. JustAdam

JustAdam New Member

Thanks Bob, i just found that range on a google search and figured i would look into it as it isnt far from me.

thanks all for the warm welcome and advice.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

JustAdam, the offer still stands for whenever I am back in town. Most of the year I am in south Georgia at school.

The 22 is the big brother of the 23. The 23 and the 19 are the same size frame, just different calibers. .40 and 9x19 respectively.

And I want to second Broadside Bob. Bull's Eye is top notch. Great staff too.

9. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Hey JustAdam, Broadside Bob and Rammstein:

I shoot at Bulls Eye in Cumming a couple of times a month. Anytime you want to meet there, send me a PM and we'll see if we can punch holes in targets...hopefully, near the center!

They have poker targets now, shoot five rounds and the best poker "hand" wins. Cool.

Thanks,

MackTee

10. JustAdam

JustAdam New Member

Rammstein, let me know when your back, i would enjoy the opportunity. and Bob and Mack, maybe sometime we can shoot together, Bulls Eye sounds like a great place. as for poker targets, can i just shoot two rounds and hope i get the best hand on the river :lol: ?

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

SSN = optional. The federal government follows its own law on this issue and even gives the appropriate Privacy Act warning on the instruction sheet.
    :wink:

12. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Bulls Eye has a nice facility, large stock of gun related stuff at reasonable prices and most of the staff are helpful, friendly and knowledgeable all around nice guys, but......

Watch out for Norm. He's an even bigger smart ass than I. And that's saying something!

You'll recognize him easily enough. He's the old fart with chin whiskers on the sides of his face. Apparently he can't even grow a beard properly yet they trust him with loaded weapons!!!

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Macktee and JustAdam,

When I am back in town I'll send you guys a PM and we'll try to set something up.

The poker target sounds fun.

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

JustAdam, anytime you want to go to Bullseye drop me a line. I live about 2 miles from there.

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

16. JustAdam

JustAdam New Member

Guys, sorry i missed this day. i have been so busy, but when things calm down a bit, i look forward to meeting all.

next time for sure.