1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Haven officer accidentally shoots daughter

Posted May 29, 2007
Updated 8:10 PM

(Stratford-WTNH) _ New Haven police officer Eric Scott was off-duty when he accidentally shot his daughter in his Stratford home early Tuesday morning.

Stratford Police say that Scott shot his daughter Tasha in the right knee because he thought she was an intruder. Scott did not know that his daughter had snuck out of the house that night.

Tasha Scott was transported to Bridgeport Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

No charges have been filed against the 9-year police veteran.
http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=6582707

·
Registered
251 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
Tell me again why they can carry in all of the off-limits places?
The only places off-limits in the Constitution state (that I can see) are the court house and schools. I could live with that.

But I agree with your point. :wink:

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Well that has gotta end the trust between that father and daughter.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Stratford Police say that Scott shot his daughter Tasha in the right knee because he thought she was an intruder. Scott did not know that his daughter had snuck out of the house that night.
Guess she won't be sneaking out at night anymore.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
luke0927 said:
yeah...she'll probably be rolling around in a wheelchair
That'll make it a lot harder to sneak out the window.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
1) good thing he is a bad shot; surely (don't call me shirely) he wasn't fireing to wound...
2) bet daughter is sorry for doing something she wasn't supposed to and I bet she won't do that crap again.
3) I bet her future boyfriends don't cause any problems. (Would my dad shoot you? Hell he shot me so I really don't think he would have ANY problem shooting you... :lol: )

Not sure if I can blame dad too much. I could care less that he was a cop, what diff does that make? If one of us heard a noise outside our home and we woke up to investigate wouldn't we all be armed as we walked around the house? If, during that walk about, we came across a window that was open which shouldn't be and someone was entering what would we do? Shout "Don't move I have a gun" giving our location away so that the perp can open fire on us first? I don't think I would personally shoot first & ask questions later but I don't know the exact circumstances of the event. I wasn't there so I'll reserve my derision and just say it's fortunate that the girl is still breathing & I hope they both learned something.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
He broke a cardinal rule...positively identify your target prior to putting your booger hook on the bang switch.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Rammstein said:
He broke a cardinal rule...positively identify your target prior to putting your booger hook on the bang switch.
That's why the good Lord gave us flashlights... nice, bright flashlights that illuminate our targets. Especially targets inside our own homes!

I can't believe he shot without knowing who he was shooting..., but I wasn't there either, so I really can't judge his actions. But, if I were pressed to do so, I be a'judging "STUPID"...!

And, as for the daughter, she is sooooooooooooo grounded!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Rammstein said:
luke0927 said:
yeah...she'll probably be rolling around in a wheelchair
That'll make it a lot harder to sneak out the window.
That will make it hard but not impossible...If it's one of those light weight fold up wheelchairs, a backpack and a rope could get her out of the house quickly..But she may wanna get a bullet proof kevlar vest and bullet proof kevlar kneepads next time she tries to escape...LOL... ;)

I agree....Either "STUPID" or "DUMASS" , 9 year vet who doesn't identify target before pulling trigger??? And they don't trust us the citizens who own guns??? :roll:

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Macktee said:
Rammstein said:
That's why the good Lord gave us flashlights... nice, bright flashlights that illuminate our targets. Especially targets inside our own homes!
I don't know about you, but I'm not a big fan of giving away my position with a light. I know if I get lit up in my house, I know that just behind and to the side of that light is center of mass, two shots to each side to compensate for lefties and right handed shooters.

·
68,926 Posts
Macktee said:
Just what is it you think the muzzle flash is for?

·
Romans 10:13
4,638 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Stratford Police say that Scott shot his daughter Tasha in the right knee....
That was really a knee jerk reaction from her dad. :eek:

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Her father, awakened by the light, took his department-issued pistol and upon investigation, found a rear door open that he had locked earlier, police said. Using a flashlight in the dark basement, Scott, who was off-duty at the time, saw a person moving in the basement bathroom and fired once, hitting his daughter in the knee with the bullet lodging in her thigh, police said.
He had a flashlight and still couldn't identify his target? :shock:

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

1 - 20 of 22 Posts