New hard drive ..umm...no, not yet

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Fallschirmjäger, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Just returned an hour ago from the Best Buy in Cumming with a new 1TB hard drive to use as a mirror. On the package it's marked as a 10000CSRTL which is a 7,200rpm drive. When I opened the package and looked at the drive so I could enter the specs on my pc's build-sheet, I saw that it's a 10EARS drive which is 5,400, and retails for a much lower price than the CSRTL.

An evening spoiled :( and a trip to Best Buy tomorrow morning.
    Funny thing is that the package serial number agrees with what's in the package, and the label looks original from Western Digital. I'm not blaming BB for this.

2. German Longshot

German Longshot New Member

Walmart in Griffin has 1.5TB for 100 dollars. I want one.. oh so bad...

3. vr6glidriver

vr6glidriver New Member

Was it still factory sealed? I have a friend who is a BB manager and has told me before people will buy one drive and return their old one with the new one's label (or the parts of the label, such as PN or SN) to get their money back and keep the newer, faster, larger drive. Many customer service people will not catch this and have the item put back as open box or new.

Just a thought..

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Entirely possible, I guess.
    The manager at my local BB called me about 30 mins after I sent an email to Corporate. :shock:
    He explained the same thing, although I thought the label on the box looked unmolested enough that it looked like OEM put it there. In any case, it's a short stop at BB tomorrow for an HD that I know will do 7,200rpm.
    I dunno, maybe WD changed the specs for the one I have so that it'll do 7,200 instead of 5,400. All I really know is that the one I have was rated pretty poorly on the interwebs.