Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
16-11-129

(2) (A) On and after January 1, 2012, newly issued or renewal weapons carry licenses shall incorporate overt and covert security features which shall be blended with the personal data printed on the license to form a significant barrier to imitation, replication, and duplication. There shall be a minimum of three different ultraviolet colors used to enhance the security of the license incorporating variable data, color shifting characteristics, and front edge only perimeter visibility. The weapons carry license shall have a color photograph viewable under ambient light on both the front and back of the license. The license shall incorporate custom optical variable devices featuring the great seal of the State of Georgia as well as matching demetalized optical variable devices viewable under ambient light from the front and back of the license incorporating microtext and unique alphanumeric serialization specific to the license holder. The license shall be of similar material, size, and thickness of a credit card and have a holographic laminate to secure and protect the license for the duration of the license period.

(B) Using the physical characteristics of the license set forth in subparagraph (A) of this paragraph, The Council of Probate Court Judges of Georgia shall create specifications for the probate courts so that all weapons carry licenses in this state shall be uniform and so that probate courts can petition the Department of Administrative Services to purchase the equipment and supplies necessary for producing such licenses. The department shall follow the competitive bidding procedure set forth in Code Section 50-5-102.
http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... ection=129

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do you guys think this is going to cause any delays/problems next year?

Now, GWLs are issued pretty quickly just about everywhere in the state except for a few problem counties (DeKalb, and a couple more). Do you think these changes will slow that down?

We've got less than a year before this has to be dealt with. Time marches on. Does anybody know if anything is being coordinated or planned on to fullfill these requirements?

Will you have to bring a passport photo with you when you apply or will they start taking your photo at the probate courts?

Do you think some courts will continue issuing "old style" GWLs well into 2012 (in violation of the law)?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Do you guys think this is going to cause any delays/problems next year?

Maybe in some counties

Now, GWLs are issued pretty quickly just about everywhere in the state except for a few problem counties (DeKalb, and a couple more). Do you think these changes will slow that down?

Maybe in some counties

We've got less than a year before this has to be dealt with. Time marches on. Does anybody know if anything is being coordinated or planned on to fullfill these requirements?

Haven't seen anything in the Probate Court newsletter yet

Will you have to bring a passport photo with you when you apply or will they start taking your photo at the probate courts?

Who knows

Do you think some courts will continue issuing "old style" GWLs well into 2012 (in violation of the law)?

Yes

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
It may be blamed as the cause of delays, but with nearly two years to adopt the new GWCL specifications, any blame should be redirected back at the Counties responsible for it. Any County could be issuing such license now if they so desired, they do not have o wait until the last minute to make the change.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
The fees that may be charged are already laid out in the law. The only one that can be adjusted is the GBI's part.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The biggest and most important question is:

Will the new one fit in my wallet?? Mine was a beast, I had to re-laminate mine and trim it to fit. :screwy:

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
phantoms said:
Any County could be issuing such license now if they so desired, they do not have o wait until the last minute to make the change.
While in practical terms you are probably correct (in the same way that DeKalb County currently issues using a hardcard instead of a laminated card and nobody cares because it looks better). From the language in the statute, it doesn't appear that they are allowed to issue the "new style" GWL until January 01, 2012.

Well, maybe they could if they included the fingerprint on the "new style" GWL?

16-11-129
(f) (1) Weapons carry license specifications. Weapons carry licenses issued as prescribed in this Code section shall be printed on durable but lightweight card stock, and the completed card shall be laminated in plastic to improve its wearing qualities and to inhibit alterations. Measurements shall be 3 1/4 inches long and 2 1/4 inches wide. Each shall be serially numbered within the county of issuance and shall bear the full name, residential address, birth date, weight, height, color of eyes, and sex of the licensee. The license shall show the date of issuance, the expiration date, and the probate court in which issued and shall be signed by the licensee and bear the signature or facsimile thereof of the judge. The seal of the court shall be placed on the face before the license is laminated. Licenses issued on and before December 31, 2011, shall bear a clear print of the licensee's right index finger; however, if the right index fingerprint cannot be secured for any reason, the print of another finger may be used but such print shall be marked to identify the finger from which the print is taken.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
4HorseShoes said:
The biggest and most important question is:

Will the new one fill in my wallet?? Mine was a beast, I had to re-laminate mine and trim it to fit. :screwy:
THIS!!!

But honestly, I think that this may actually speed up the process. Right now according to the Fulton Co N. Service Center, they are working on a 30 year old "system" which has no means of tracking anything. Basically whoever b1tches (err sweet-talks) the loudest gets their license first.

·
Registered
732 Posts
OK so I'm easily impressed, but the new license just sounds like it is going to look so neat that everyone will want to get one. My only question is, can I trade in my current license for a new one without having to fill out new paperwork and pay a bunch of money? If I can't I will just hold onto my old one, but at face value this law seems to push for uniform licenses throughout the state. What do you think the chances are they will force everyone whose cards expire after the start date for this new card to change over to them PLUS go through the hassle of new paperwork and fees?

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kjohns2001 said:
OK so I'm easily impressed, but the new license just sounds like it is going to look so neat that everyone will want to get one. My only question is, can I trade in my current license for a new one without having to fill out new paperwork and pay a bunch of money? If I can't I will just hold onto my old one, but at face value this law seems to push for uniform licenses throughout the state. What do you think the chances are they will force everyone whose cards expire after the start date for this new card to change over to them PLUS go through the hassle of new paperwork and fees?
If your current GWL gets "lost" or "damaged" after January 1st you could get a replacement that should be the "new style" GWL.

16-11-129
Loss of any license issued in accordance with this Code section or damage to the license in any manner which shall render it illegible shall be reported to the judge of the probate court of the county in which it was issued within 48 hours of the time the loss or damage becomes known to the license holder. The judge of the probate court shall thereupon issue a replacement for and shall take custody of and destroy a damaged license; and in any case in which a license has been lost, he or she shall issue a cancellation order and notify by telephone and in writing each of the law enforcement agencies whose records were checked before issuance of the original license. The judge shall charge the fee specified in subsection (k) of Code Section 15-9-60 for such services.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
I plan on keeping my current one (and not losing it :shattered:) until it expires. I don't care if it doesn't look as pretty, professional as the new one. You have to remember that the process of replacing a license does cost the State money and that money comes from the tax payers. The allowed charges were increased with the same bill that the new license requirements are in. Even so, I imagine some Counties will be lobbying for another increase because of having to redesign licenses, especially if there's a big surge in lost licenses.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm not asking for a free lunch..I would be willing to pay a REASONABLE fee for upgrading to a new license. I will not however go back willingly to square one, filling out the paperwork again and paying FULL fees again, and losing the remaining time I paid for on my old one, JUST so everyone in the state can have the new licenses at the same time, which seems to me to be a stated objective of the new law.

I actually like the security features of the new cards as it should cut down on counterfeit licenses..which must be enough of a problem that they needed to change the specifications to deal with it...and cut down the time it would take an officer to verify a license is both valid and in the hands of the person it was issued to.

I guess I'm just wanting to know what the rumor mill has to say about whether or not the state may suddenly decide that everyone has to get the new license regardless of how much time is left on their current licenses.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
kjohns2001 said:
I'm not asking for a free lunch..I would be willing to pay a REASONABLE fee for upgrading to a new license. I will not however go back willingly to square one, filling out the paperwork again and paying FULL fees again, and losing the remaining time I paid for on my old one, JUST so everyone in the state can have the new licenses at the same time, which seems to me to be a stated objective of the new law.
No it isn't. Your current license is valid until it expires. Keep it and carry on it. There is absolutely no reason to feel you have to get the new style license until your current license is about to expire.

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
Im wondering abt that. If I have to im gonna upgrade my licence.

sent from my h4x0r3d capybara using my brain and thumbs.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kjohns2001 said:
I actually like the security features of the new cards as it should cut down on counterfeit licenses..which must be enough of a problem that they needed to change the specifications to deal with it...
I don't think so. I don't think I can remember a story of anyone actually getting caught using a fake GWL. I think this issue is just sort of a hypothetical. I have heard, however, a lot of GWL holders complaining about how "cheap" looking their GWLs looks. I think a lot of the reason for the change was just the state wanting to update the look for the times and to appease a lot of GWL holders that would like a better looking document. I really don't think criminals using fake licenses is that big of a deal. Without proof I would suspect it is almost a non-existant crime.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
kjohns2001 said:
I actually like the security features of the new cards as it should cut down on counterfeit licenses..which must be enough of a problem that they needed to change the specifications to deal with it...
I don't think so. I don't think I can remember a story of anyone actually getting caught using a fake GWL. I think this issue is just sort of a hypothetical. I have heard, however, a lot of GWL holders complaining about how "cheap" looking their GWLs looks. I think a lot of the reason for the change was just the state wanting to update the look for the times and to appease a lot of GWL holders that would like a better looking document. I really don't think criminals using fake licenses is that big of a deal. Without proof I would suspect it is almost a non-existant crime.
I remember Gunstar saying something about a Law Enforcement official asking how to tell a counterfeit. He told them if it looked like it was made by a fifth grader on a home computer it was valid. If it looked professional it was a fake. :lol:

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
kjohns2001 said:
I think the stated objective was that is standardizes the carry license. Currently each county probate designs their own license with very little regard to how other counties do it. This was an effort to standardize and modernize the license.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts