Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

New Gun Law Triggers Questions from Public

521 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Match10 
#1 ·
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/articl ... rom-public

Law enforcement officials predict at least a few Iowans will make a show of carrying their handguns openly in public and challenge anyone who tries to stop them when a new weapons permit law kicks in Saturday.

. . .
Iowans for years have been able to tote a gun visibly while in public, as long as they had a valid "permit to carry." However, sheriffs often wrote notes on permits saying the gun owner had to keep the gun concealed, or couldn't carry while drinking alcohol, or setting other limitations.

Under the new law, sheriffs can no longer place any restrictions on permits, and some believe this will embolden a few gun owners to carry their weapons more flagrantly.

#4 ·
At the very end of the article....

A State Farm Insurance auto claims office in West Des Moines has a "no weapons" sign near its front door. By national company policy, law enforcement officials may carry weapons into places where State Farm employees work, but not the general public, said Jerry Wylie, claim team manager.

"You as an employer want to make sure you offer a safe work environment for your employees and you want to make sure your place of business is safe for your customers as well," Wylie said. "Both of those are reasons that the policy would be there."
:banghead:

Yet another reason I am glad to be dumping State Farm....switching over to USAA this week (father in law was in the Air Force).

#6 ·
I have a sneaking suspecssion most Iowians really arn't too awfully worried about it.

#7 ·
Actually, it is afundamental shift in policy and law in Iowa. The Permission to purchase and permission to own cards were a yearly PITA when I lived near Sewer City. (Not quite hell, but you could see it from there.) It was impossible to get a CCW in Sewer City, but not over the line Plymouth, where I lived. I'd look to a whole new dawn in firearms policy coming in that state, and this is just one sign.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.