Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Georgia State Defense Force (GaSDF) has stood up a unit in the Henry County Area. The GaSDF is part of the Georgia Department of Defense working along side the National Guard and Air guard.
The primary role of the GaSDF is to augment and support the National Guard. In addition we specialize in Disaster Response and Search & Rescue Operations.
We are an all volunteer organization uniformed organization. Training is held once a month usually on a Saturday.
For more information please visit: www.second2none.us or email [email protected]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Who would be interested in the GSDF?
This is for anyone who is:
interested in serving their state and community; anyone who has CERT or has thought about taking CERT (community emergency response teams.)
anyone who likes the outdoors/physical activity.
anyone who is interested in personal growth and developing leadership skills.
prior military who wish to serve again but don't want to be away from home/work for extended periods of time.
Anyone who wants to join the military, but can't commit to being away from home/work for extended periods of time.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
29,079 Posts
GSDF is a great organization.
I was in it back in the early 1990s. Did some training and one real disaster response action when a hurricane hit (1992? Hurricane Andrew?)
If my schedule weren't so irregular, I'd still be doing it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Age limit?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I would be interested in GSDF but a couple of questions come to mind.

I was told that GSDF augments the National Guard and also helps law enforcement with security as well, with that being said and it is an uniformed 'service' why are they not armed? even in 'less then leathal' means? I for one would not feel comfortable in a security roll without the means to defend myself. I am all for the CERT and S&R role.......
I would join in a heartbeat but I cannot afford to take time off work without compensation, I cannot afford to purchase required uniforms, and again the security issue comes to mind. If it a state sanctioned unit I would think the state would make certain provisions for this.

If I was misinformed please let me know, this was information given to me by a member of the GSDF who is a Warrent Officer.

Please any information would be helpfull.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
rmodel65 said:
they are unarmed but can be armed at the stroke of a pen if the governor chooses...
that poses another question, If that is the case does the GSDF do weapons qualification at least once a year?

·
Registered
15,991 Posts
Puffyfish said:
Age limit?
I think you can join up until 64 BUT if you are very healty, previously served in the military, or have a special needed skill you can get an exemption and join after 64.

If you are already in you do not have to quit at 64.

·
Registered
15,991 Posts
Ken1961 said:
Puffyfish said:
Age limit?
And Beards, what about beards...I've grown attached to mine, oh, and I'm getting up there too.
Nope. You've got to be squard away just like the GA Army National Guard. You might be able to get an exemption for health or religious reasons but I suspect it wouldn't be too easy to obtain.

·
Registered
15,991 Posts
IcarryOPEN said:
I would be interested in GSDF but a couple of questions come to mind.

I was told that GSDF augments the National Guard and also helps law enforcement with security as well, with that being said and it is an uniformed 'service' why are they not armed? even in 'less then leathal' means? I for one would not feel comfortable in a security roll without the means to defend myself. I am all for the CERT and S&R role.......
I would join in a heartbeat but I cannot afford to take time off work without compensation, I cannot afford to purchase required uniforms, and again the security issue comes to mind. If it a state sanctioned unit I would think the state would make certain provisions for this.

If I was misinformed please let me know, this was information given to me by a member of the GSDF who is a Warrent Officer.

Please any information would be helpfull.
GSDF is trained in riot control and they have batons but only in a real riot situation, not generally.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
There's always questions about GSDF being armed, training with weapons, qualifying, etc.

If you're thinking of enlisting, once you join and start serving, being armed will be the last thing on your mind. I asked them too, everyone does. And I had my concerns as well. What you'll find is that in 99.999999% of the situations in which you find yourself working crowd control and security, the ACU and a polite but firm attitude is all you'll need. People respect the uniform. Period. In the .0000001% of situations where someone wants to be "difficult", well we don't work alone.

There are times when we get some cool military weapons for training purposes. Can't really go into it, you'll just have to talk to a recruiter privately and hopefully sign up. You won't regret it. But the fact is, for what we do we really don't need to go about toting the extra weight. I can tell you personally that for search and rescue, I'd MUCH rather carry extra water and survival gear than a rifle and load of ammo.

Now as far as the age limit........

Yes there is one. Is it strictly enforced? Nope. Nor should it be. We'll find a job for you. We're a small force and there's always room in the TOC. There's also plenty of room for someone with a lifetime of experience. We have a CWO5 (Chief Warrant Officer 5) who is 87. He enlisted literally the day his service with the Georgia Army National Guard ended. He's served non-stop for 62 years. Never let anyone tell you you're too old.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Bendrr said:
There's always questions about GSDF being armed, training with weapons, qualifying, etc.

If you're thinking of enlisting, once you join and start serving, being armed will be the last thing on your mind. I asked them too, everyone does. And I had my concerns as well. What you'll find is that in 99.999999% of the situations in which you find yourself working crowd control and security, the ACU and a polite but firm attitude is all you'll need. People respect the uniform. Period. In the .0000001% of situations where someone wants to be "difficult", well we don't work alone.

There are times when we get some cool military weapons for training purposes. Can't really go into it, you'll just have to talk to a recruiter privately and hopefully sign up. You won't regret it. But the fact is, for what we do we really don't need to go about toting the extra weight. I can tell you personally that for search and rescue, I'd MUCH rather carry extra water and survival gear than a rifle and load of ammo.

Now as far as the age limit........

Yes there is one. Is it strictly enforced? Nope. Nor should it be. We'll find a job for you. We're a small force and there's always room in the TOC. There's also plenty of room for someone with a lifetime of experience. We have a CWO5 (Chief Warrant Officer 5) who is 87. He enlisted literally the day his service with the Georgia Army National Guard ended. He's served non-stop for 62 years. Never let anyone tell you you're too old.
Well thanks for the answer and I guess becoming a part of the GaSDF is out of the question for me. I have 13.5 years in the Army and I know all to well how the uniform is 'Respected' by others. As far as the training on all the 'cool' army stuff, well been there done that, not impressed to say the least. I can get into the search and rescue thing in my county (already am) and still get the same gratification without the state placing me in a compramising possition to do crowd control with a baton (bring a stick to a gun fight)

Thanks for the clarification.

US Army VET (4 times)
SSG/E-6

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
Ken1961 said:
Puffyfish said:
Age limit?
And Beards, what about beards...I've grown attached to mine, oh, and I'm getting up there too.
Nope. You've got to be squard away just like the GA Army National Guard. You might be able to get an exemption for health or religious reasons but I suspect it wouldn't be too easy to obtain.
If you've got to be squared away just like the GA Army National Guard, I'd say you could probably keep your beard. At least, a lot of soldiers seem to be able to get a profile for it...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.