21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
American
3,230 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
And welcome to Georgia!

If you purchased a house, you should be able to get a new driver's license, apply for a GWCL, and a homestead exemption in the same week.

Based on your wait time to apply, I assume DeKalb, so hello neighbor! The county is decent about compliance after a few lawsuits and until they find a new loophole to delay issuance. There are a few attorneys that read and post here if you have any issues.
Wow... All kinds of help here.

I never heard of a homestead exemption so I gave it a google and realized that I have been paying extra GA Tax on our house for the last 15 years.

Will be updating this immediately 1st thing in January 2021!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Just moved from FL to GA last month. Wife and I had FL Concealed weapons permits, which evaporate as soon as you become a GA resident. Heavy hit considering 2020 events. Now we have to wait for appointment to apply in GA. February 26th is the first available. Then I guess its a 60 day processing period to actually get the license. So it will be more than 6 months by the time this is done.

My question.... I had "heard" that Ga you could open carry with no license/permit required. Was that wrong? Or did that change recently?

Thanks!
Welcome to Georgia!

Be sure to join Georgia Carry... https://www.georgiacarry.org

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just moved from FL to GA last month. Wife and I had FL Concealed weapons permits, which evaporate as soon as you become a GA resident. Heavy hit considering 2020 events. Now we have to wait for appointment to apply in GA. February 26th is the first available. Then I guess its a 60 day processing period to actually get the license. So it will be more than 6 months by the time this is done.

My question.... I had "heard" that Ga you could open carry with no license/permit required. Was that wrong? Or did that change recently?

Thanks!
you have lots of answers already. But I will say that time period sounds extremely wrong. You fill out the application online. It gives you a confirmation number and you then call probate court to make an appointment. Each county is different but I filled out the application online on a Tuesday at 330pm. Called the probate court and got an appointment for the following morning at 1030. Got my license exactly a week later in the mail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
you have lots of answers already. But I will say that time period sounds extremely wrong. You fill out the application online. It gives you a confirmation number and you then call probate court to make an appointment. Each county is different but I filled out the application online on a Tuesday at 330pm. Called the probate court and got an appointment for the following morning at 1030. Got my license exactly a week later in the mail.
and that was in October of this year btw. So just last month.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
It unfortunately varies by county. Some elected officials have a vested interest in serving their electorate and others...have a lack. DeKalb requires appointments before application and the "first available" is currently late April.

·
fng
9 Posts
Thanks for the reply. We did buy a house. Got our drivers license quickly but they had us wait 30 days on the homestead exemption (It is done) I went to the courthouse (Effingham County) city of Springfield and was given a phone number to call for gun license info.
<snip>
If you're interested in Practical Shooting, LCIDPA shoots at Effingham County Sherriff's Dept Range the second Saturday of each month.

Depending upon where in Effingham County you are, 17South in Fleming might be a reasonable drive for you. Private club, IDPA, USPSA and "other" match each month.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts