Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved from FL to GA last month. Wife and I had FL Concealed weapons permits, which evaporate as soon as you become a GA resident. Heavy hit considering 2020 events. Now we have to wait for appointment to apply in GA. February 26th is the first available. Then I guess its a 60 day processing period to actually get the license. So it will be more than 6 months by the time this is done.

My question.... I had "heard" that Ga you could open carry with no license/permit required. Was that wrong? Or did that change recently?

Thanks!

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,892 Posts
OCGA 16-11-126 requires a license to carry, unless you’re exempt under OCGA 16-11-130.

Georgia does not differentiate between open or concealed carry, except for on college campuses.

You can carry on your Florida license for 90 days after becoming a Georgia resident. Give me a minute or two and I will find that code section for you.

·
Super Moderator
7,126 Posts
J
My question.... I had "heard" that Ga you could open carry with no license/permit required. Was that wrong? Or did that change recently?
The only open carry you can do in Georgia without a GWCL is a long gun.
To carry your handgun outside of your house/property, you must have a GWCL.
The only exception is your vehicle. As long as you would not be prohibited from obtaining a GWCL, you can carry legally, in your car.

As Adam5 said you have 90 days though to get your GWCL. He got that in before I posted. :-D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WHEWWWWWWW THANK YOU !!!!!!! I don't know how you could find that, but that is exactly what I need.

I'm printing that section of the law and into the wallet it is going.

I cannot thank you enough.

Bob Hansen

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
And welcome to Georgia!

If you purchased a house, you should be able to get a new driver’s license, apply for a GWCL, and a homestead exemption in the same week.

Based on your wait time to apply, I assume DeKalb, so hello neighbor! The county is decent about compliance after a few lawsuits and until they find a new loophole to delay issuance. There are a few attorneys that read and post here if you have any issues.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,325 Posts
You can carry on your Florida license for 90 days after becoming a Georgia resident.
Yep.
Since GA and FL have reciprocity regarding carry permits, that's when the 90 day grace period applies to new residents who move to Georgia.

We in GA have reciprocity rights with 32 other states, at my last count.

Reactions: TimBob

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,325 Posts
To carry your handgun outside of your house/property, you must have a GWCL.
The only exception is your vehicle. As long as you would not be prohibited from obtaining a GWCL, you can carry legally, in your car.

I think this explanation is a little more restrictive than the law itself.
As Long as you're not a "prohibited person" under federal law you can carry a handgun in your car, your home, or your place of business.
Some people may be legal to own a handgun under federal and state law, but they might be disqualified from getting a weapons carry permit in Georgia.

Examples: 1-- a misdemeanor drug conviction in the last few years.

2-- having committed some misdemeanor weapons-carrying offense at an off-limits location.

3-- Being only 18, 19, or 20 years old and never having been in the military.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And welcome to Georgia!

If you purchased a house, you should be able to get a new driver's license, apply for a GWCL, and a homestead exemption in the same week.

Based on your wait time to apply, I assume DeKalb, so hello neighbor! The county is decent about compliance after a few lawsuits and until they find a new loophole to delay issuance. There are a few attorneys that read and post here if you have any issues.
And welcome to Georgia!

If you purchased a house, you should be able to get a new driver's license, apply for a GWCL, and a homestead exemption in the same week.

Thanks for the reply. We did buy a house. Got our drivers license quickly but they had us wait 30 days on the homestead exemption (It is done) I went to the courthouse (Effingham County) city of Springfield and was given a phone number to call for gun license info. When I called the first appointment to come in and apply was February 26. A long time yes, but they have covid procedures and this is a small town. So I wait. The 90 day period to apply helps a lot.

When I went to get gun permit info, employees at the courthouse commented that "no one should have guns", I did not respond at all. This was her opinion and frankly I didn't care what her opinion was so I just ignored her.

They do take their time getting things done here but I chose to move to a rural town in Georgia, I suspect I will need to grow some patience. They were here first after all LOL

This really is a beautiful area ....

Thanks again for the assist and guidance.

·
Super Moderator
7,126 Posts
When I went to get gun permit info, employees at the courthouse commented that "no one should have guns", I did not respond at all. This was her opinion and frankly I didn't care what her opinion was so I just ignored her.
Nice to know how some of our public servants feel about us, isn't it?

Reactions: MSgt G

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice to know how some of our public servants feel about us, isn't it?
Yes indeed. Actually I think I was naive... I expected a different response from this area. But there are people everywhere that feel the way those employees do.
Never too old to learn (me)

·
American
3,289 Posts
First, welcome aboard. Second, there are transplants and sheeple even in small town Georgia, sadly.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
No need to over work yourself.

·
Registered
8,616 Posts
1756 gun permits and 469 wedding licenses.... It would appear that the wheels have come off the track... Priorities? :faint:
Well, to be fair, one usually intends to do the latter just once but the state says the former expires every 5 years. Another aspect is one license covers only one person and the other...opens a can of worms these days when you ask who it covers! :rotfl:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts