New firearms policy for Dougherty County Schools

Discussion in 'In the News' started by USMC - Retired, Aug 16, 2007.

1. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S= ... v=menu37_3

2. misawa

misawa New Member

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Now if there was just a way to get this link onto the Dougherty County employee email system . . .

4. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

You forgot to add that disgruntled students are also exempt.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Where have we heard that before? :roll:

6. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

____________School___________________Bad Guys________

:sheep: ____________ :sheep:
    ___________ :sheep: _________
    ___________________ :sheep: _____________ :pistol:

____ :sheep:

7. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

So they had problems with employees and adults using firearms and pellett guns in the past? Me thinks not.

Oh well, now that they're a Double Gun Free Zone, or a Super Dooper Gun Free Zone I'm sure nothing bad will ever happen there!

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Guess we don't have any school system members? :D

9. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Guess we don't have any school system members? :D[/quote:30uzix4j]

The only members in this area work on the Marine base...

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

"Regular" school employees are already prohibited from carrying on school property but they can leave firearms locked in their car. I wonder if the 2nd part is what they are attempting to curtail?

Anyway, this action appears to be prohibited by GA's pre-emption law.

11. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

They've had problems with employees and weapons in the past? :roll:

They need a "policy" to beef up the penalty when there are two felony LAWS on the books covering the topic. ](*,)

12. Wiley

Wiley New Member

That was my thought also. Someone wiser and better dressed will chime in to let me know I'm wrong.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Pretty much.

14. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

I may not be better dressed... I didnt' even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either but here goes...

Wouldn't this fall under local government regulating its employees?

15. merlock

merlock New Member

Just more soccer mom coddling :roll:

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I own one tie.

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:up:

18. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I own many ties and forgot to take this into consideration. It looks like this isn't pre-empted afterall. :cry:

19. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

YES!!! WE GOT THE SHEEP EMOTICON!!!

20. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

The following was cut and pasted from the CGO site and got me thinking...

Dougherty County School Weapon Policy
    August 16th, 2007
    Dougherty County adopted a new policy recently, barring employees from having firearms. According to the linked news article, â€The policy prohibits any handgun, rifle or shotgun. School police and peace officers are the only ones excluded.â€

Has anybody bothered to inform these people that it is already a felony to have a weapon on school property? Dougherty County teachers might wish to be aware that state law has an exception, however, for â€Teachers and other school personnel who are otherwise authorized to possess or carry weapons, provided that any such weapon is in a locked compartment of a motor vehicle or one which is in a locked container in or a locked firearms rack which is on a motor vehicle.†See O.C.G.A. 16-11-127.1(c)(17).

My wife is a school teacher, not in Dougherty, and has her GFL. She does not carry herself. I just had her get her GFL in case the need ever arose. Just to be safe legally, I always try to be sure I have not left a gun in the car she is driving to work. However, reading the provision above, does this mean I could leave one in the car so long as it is locked? Also, what actually constitutes a locked container? I am looking at DeSantis holsters right now (in another thread) and they have one which has a padlock hole. They claim it is the rage now with Fed LEOs and allows you to leave weapon loaded while in storage but still locked. If this would constitute as a "locked container" then I think my decision might have been made a little easier on which holster to choose.

Can anyone speak on this? Both leaving a gun in the car at a school while she works and wether this would be an acceptable "locked container".