Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to an article in The Revue & News (Alpharetta-Roswell), you can now apply for your carry permit by going to Sandy Springs (bring SASE, DL, proof of residency, and $30 cash), then head up 400 to Alpharetta for fingerprinting and background check ($40).

The whole process is not supposed to take longer than a few weeks.

Here's the article. I am going today.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
"It's all about customer service," said George. "We're trying to take care of the people of Fulton County."
Wow! As a resident of Dekalb, I'm speechless... Don't they know you're suppose to treat the people in your county with no respect?

Seriously, great progress and great attitude toward the people they serve!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I believe Sandy Springs PD also does fingerprinting at Barfield Road, which closer to the Fulton County North Annex and may be more convenient for those that live closer to the Perimeter rather than having to drive up to Alpharetta.

In addition to providing a convenience to North Fulton residents, I'm sure Alpharetta and Sandy Springs also looking forward to getting a nice chunk of the fingerprinting revenue that otherwise has been going to the Fulton County PD all these years. :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[s:1d40b7qm]I'm not able to find any information about Sandy Springs PD being able to help with this. If you can find a link, please post.[/s:1d40b7qm]

Correction to the article: It's not $40, it's $45 for fingerprinting. According to the officer I spoke with there, they will take cash, check, money order, credit card, whatever. They are open from like 9am to 11:30, and then 1pm to 4:45, closed on Wednesdays.

Alpharetta Public Safety, non-emergency number: (678) 297-6300

Scratch the above, the Barfield Road information IS correct:
http://www.fultoncountyga.gov/gun-permits2

·
Registered
34 Posts
Going Monday to get my gwl,Who's system is faster with finger printing,Alpharetta or Sandy Springs?

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
papason100 said:
FYI Sandy Springs charges $50 for finger prints
really? afaik they should only be charging 45...

·
Registered
504 Posts
rabbivj said:
papason100 said:
really? afaik they should only be charging 45...
$19.25 in Hawaii...one of the most restrictive states left lagging the problem. Why the high cost?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Still waiting for mine =(

Filed on 12/10. But with the holidays I expected it to be a little longer than normal.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,526 Posts
papason100 said:
Does this include the GBI check and a "mental health" background check ($3.00 more)?

GBI's fee is not defined in the code, it just states they may charge an appropriate fee. Any chance they've went up with the new year?

16-11-129(a) allows the probate court to charge $30 for their part.
16-11-129(b)(2)(J) allows the judge to add a $3 fee for any mental health check.
16-11-129(c) allows the charge of $5 for fingerprinting.
16-11-129(d)(1) allows the GBI to "charge such fee as is necessary to cover the cost of the records search"

So unless the GBI increased their fee from $40 to $45, the max a license should cost total is $78.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Update on mine...

12/10/10 my wife and I filed for permits at the North service center. We immediately went and had our fingerprints done at the Alpharetta PD.

Alpharetta PD said it would be back to the probate court within 1 week.

1/13/11 still no permits so I called back to the probate court. When I FINALLY spoke with someone, I was told "your finger prints aren't back yet. You should try back in another month". And then in the next breath she said that maybe I should try back next week (this week) as mail was spotty due to the winter storms.

I called the Alpharetta PD and the guy who took our prints there said that they were back and sent off to the probate court on the week of 12/13/10 and that they definitely have them.

Okay, well, I can understand that with holidays, and the storm they could be sitting there.

1/18/11 I called back to the probate court again and was told "Sir, you need to wait at least 2 months before inquiring". To which I replied that I called the PD and our prints should have been back to the probate court for around 1 month by now.

Silence...

Still can't find them. But the woman I was talking to only deals with people who have arrest records so I need to talk to Ms. Williams. She attempts to transfer me but disconnects me. All return calls end up at Ms. Williams voicemail which I've left messages on.

So much for a "Faster" & Easier method...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I submitted mine on 12/28/10 and im still waitiing too.. I might call sandy springs soon to check since getting in touch with fulton courts is really tough..

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Call the PD to see when your prints were sent back and then the only number I've ever managed to get to a human at is 404-613-4070 for the N. Service Center. From there, 0 out to the operator and ask to talk to a person regarding your firearms license.

From there, you MAY get a person, or like me, end up now continually getting thrown back into the IVR.

It's really pissing me off to think that I'm going to have to take a few hours off to drive back up there just to actually talk to someone face to face.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I submitted mine on 01/03/2011 at the North service center and have heard nothing. I have confidence that alpharetta pd sent my prints back. It is just typical Fulton to mess around with people. It's that or they are extremely incompetent.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
I grew up in Alpharetta, glad I'm out.

The mission of the Probate Court is to carry out the duties assigned to it under the Constitution and laws of Georgia as a Court of Record with exclusive jurisdiction over the following:
The Probate Court has original and exclusive jurisdiction over:
•the probating of wills of decedents
•appointing administrators and executors of decedent's estates
•issuing marriage and firearms licenses
Phone numbers: http://www.fultoncountyga.gov/images/st ... ephone.pdf

Marriage & Firearms Information: 404/612-4692
Licenses - Marriage and Firearms ..........................34583
Mayes, Bonnie, Supervisor ..........................................24685
Williams, Sencerea, Court Clerk .................................24682
Walters, Carol, Senior Court Clerk..............................24672
Stephens, Mary, Senior Court Clerk, ...........................24675
Good luck guys.....bureaucracy at it's finest. My license was in my hand in less than an hour and it was still warm.

·
Registered
441 Posts
JeF4y said:
Call the PD to see when your prints were sent back and then the only number I've ever managed to get to a human at is 404-613-4070 for the N. Service Center. From there, 0 out to the operator and ask to talk to a person regarding your firearms license.

From there, you MAY get a person, or like me, end up now continually getting thrown back into the IVR.

It's really pissing me off to think that I'm going to have to take a few hours off to drive back up there just to actually talk to someone face to face.
If you drive up there and speak to someone please let us know what they say. Also, if you get your permit let us know the total time it took. We should use this thread to document how fast their "new faster method" is.

If anyone has used this new method and have received their gwl, please post the total time it took.

Thanks!
SYN ACK

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I finally spoke to Ms Williams. She was very plesant and empathetic. She explained that even though they may have gotten my prints back on 12/13, they get hundreds back at a time and they go in a pile and get worked from there. There is no tracking mechanism in them.

She did apologize for it and said she would look for mine & my wife's prints and process them today. I should have it over the weekend. If not, I'm supposed to call back on Wed...

Stay tuned!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts