NEW EBR (Del-Ton AR-15) - Optics Recommendation

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by dcannon1, Jan 5, 2011.

1. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Got a very favorable deal on a Del-Ton AR-15 with Magpul furniture with hard case, 5 mags and a little ammo.

This is my second AR, but I had to sell the first one to pay taxes :x before I ever even got to shoot it.

Can't wait to get this one to the range on Saturday.

Anyone have any recommendations for an affordable (under $150) red dot sight? Most of my shooting will probably be 50yds or under since that's the extent of ranges I have nearest to me so magnification wouldn't be needed. I'd love an EOTech or Aimpoint, but it's not in the budget right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jason F

Jason F Member

Why not try one of the clones for less than $100? I've got an Aimpont clone that I really like. Got it from q guy on glocktalk.com for around $85 or so.

For a "fun gun" and only at short ranges, and on a budget- why not??

3. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

My suggestion?
    Just use the Iron sights. Too many people don't know how to really use the Iron sights and go straight to red dots. Shooting with a red dot will improve your shooting, but I also think it will hide some of your faults. I just finished a class for the Navy where we shot about 5K rounds in a week, all using the Iron sights. Alot of "experienced shooters" didn't do so well, but of course it was because they were not allowed to use their Red Dots (according to them).

Besides it will let you save the money to get what you really want.

4. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Good point Ashe. Maybe I'll just spend that $150 on ammo and get some extra range time behind the irons. I've shot a friend's AR with an EOTech and I really liked it, so maybe I'll just get to know the rifle for now and save up for the holo sight in the meantime.

That also goes along with what I wanted to do with it. The only thing I want to add is a nice optic at some point. I'm not generally a fan of quad rails with a bunch of electronics hanging off the gun, so I plan to keep it more or less as is.

5. Hunley

Hunley Active Member

Welcome back to the EBR club! I sold my Armalite M15 to pay for wedding related stuff.

SWFA has the Vortex SPARC and StrikeFire available with mounts of varying heights available. However, I plan on getting an Aimpoint CompC3 kit from them eventually. For $400 you get a 2MOA Aimpoint with a 50k hour battery life, an Aimpoint mount, Aimpoint flip covers, Aimpoint bikini cover, and Aimpoint rubber sight cover. It isn't night vision compatible, and can only be submerged to 5 feet instead of 15, but other than that it is identical to the M3. Then again, when will most people with more expensive RDs actually attach a NV device to their gun while submerged underwater?

I'll second the iron sight bit, though. I relied on mine when I had the Armalite, but only because I had no irons on it and someone offered me the RD at a fair price. I took my DD M4v5 to the range and was surprised at groups and accuracy I got out of them from the standing position at 25 yards. Groups got better as I went on, but I had never shot ghost ring sights before. I plan to try some 300 yard gong when I can make it to the local outdoor range when I get a chance.

6. vooduchikn

vooduchikn New Member

Sig has a "copy" of the T1 micro that my buddy bought. Good Optic for 1/2 or less of the T1 price tag. Most dealers can get them. Doesn't have the battery life of the T1 (mine has been on a year and still going).

I agree with everyone on the iron sights. When you do get a red dot, make sure you have flip irons (rear sight by the looks of your pic) that co-witness.

Practice with red dot, without, and with it co-witnessed. Interesting the difference it makes

I have a T1 micro and I can hit targets easily at 300 yrds, accurately inside 200.

Iron sights know how is a must.

Someone on here suggested going irons for a while and saving your cash...sage advice.

7. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

I agree with the others who've suggested holding off on the red dot for the time being.

Do just like you said: put that money toward more ammo and practive with your irons.

I resisted red dots and all the other optics for a long time before I finally took the plunge. I took my iron sight AR through a couple of defensive rifle/carbine courses and did quite well, even besting several folks with red dots.

However, after many years of running with only Aimpoints and ACOGs, I found that when I switched back to irons, my performance with them had degraded by a fair amount. Now, I dedicate a range session periodically to just shooting with my irons to maintain my proficiency with them.

Cool lookin' AR by the way! 8)

8. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

Primary Arms (www.primaryarms.com) has some really good red dots that fit your budget. I own one, and I'm very impressed with it.

I agree that this is solid advice, but it doesn't work for everyone. For some reason, the contact lenses that I wear really screw up the rear sight on a rifle: I see portions of about three different rear sights, and have no idea which one to put the front sight in. I can shoot the rifle fine with glasses, but since I only wear glasses to bed I went straight to a red dot on my AR.

9. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

I ran across those as well. They seem to be getting positive reviews on other forums too. I might go that route after I get some range time with the irons and see how well I can do with them.

10. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Use irons until you can afford an Aimpoint or Eotech. Irons are more effective than a $150 optic.

11. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Think I'm gonna take that advice. It would be nice to get an optic I could hang on to for multiple applications should I ever get rid of the rifle.

Plus the time it will take me to save up for it will give me some good practice time with the irons. Gonna hit the range this weekend :righton:

12. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I just use irons.... works for me. :D