New carry gun thoughts

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My wife says that I can blow $250 of our tax return. I've been thinking of getting a Bersa Thunder .380 to replace my Glock 17 as a carry gun. I'm NOT getting rid of the Glock. It's my favorite shooter. I was just thing about getting something slimmer for carry use. I also have a Springfield XD-9 (6"), Glock 19, Ruger Security Six (6").357, High Point 9mm carbine, and an 1891 Argentine Mauser (7.65 x 54). What are your thoughts on the Bersa? Does anything else come to mind?

Thanks for the opinions,
    Adam

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Nope

SOmething as slim and easy to conceal as the Bersa Thunder? Well the Kahr PM9 is very slim, and light. But it costs more like $600, not the $250 budget you have to work with. The Walther PPK is as slim as the Bersa, but it is $450 and the trigger pull is much worse, in my opinion. And it's heavier. The Kel-Tec P3AT is a nice flat small gun in .380, like the Bersa, and the price is about the same, but the Bersa will be much more accurate and more comfortable to shoot, since you'll have a single-action trigger after the first shot.

Bottom line: No, I can't think of a better choice for a guy in your situation.

3. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

For about 250$ you can get a 9mm Kel-Tec P-11. I have one and it shoots great with hydrashocks. It's probably right at the same weight, if not lighter than the Bersa. Pretty much the same in regards it's more or less a belly gun, but you're talking a more effective round...

I would check one out as it's in your price range.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

New option?

I'm not a big KelTec or Kahr fan. There in a new option though. My wife rarely shoots her G19. She prefers her XD-9 and has only put about 300 rounds through the 19 since buying it new in Sept. She has told me that I can possibly sell/trade it. That would put me in Walther PPK territory. I've wanted one since I was a kid. I can't help it, I've always been a James Bond fan.

Should I sell/trade it and get a NIB PPK?

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

6. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

My father has a bersa Thunder 380 that he carries all the time. Real easy to conceal, and light weight makes it a perfect CW. My mother on occasions has fired it and likes it,can't handle anything bigger though.

Like foshizzle said, great belly gun, matter of fact my dad wears a belly belt holster, and it's practically invisible.

7. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

I bought a Bersa Thunder 380 for Concealed Carry when I was living in North Carolina. It has aways functioned flawlessly and shoot fairly straight to boot. My wife has now claimed it as her own because she loves the way it shoots. :(

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

It looks like atlot of people here and on Glock talk like like the Bersa thunder. I'll have to decide if I want to buy one, or sell the Glock 19 and get a Walther PPK.

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Decision Made

I'm selling the G19. I have a Walther PPK/S in stainless on hold at a local dealer. I'm picking it up Sat AM.

The G19 is posted in the for sale section of the site. If it doesn't seel this week before Sat I'm trading it in.