New Book

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2. Malum Prohibitum

Armed America Is Shipping

Instapundit mentions that my new book is shipping at Amazon, and observes:

I expect it will be quite good.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Glenn! I also notice that:

Amazon.com Sales Rank: #2,978

This has risen from about 3100 earlier this evening, so I would expect that some of this reflects Instapundit's praise. I don't know exactly how many sales are needed to rise into the top 3000 sales rank, but I think this is a very good sign, especially since I have not yet done any interviews to promote the book, and no print advertising or book excerpts have appeared yet in magazines. However, I rather doubt that I'll be quiting my day job this week.

I am a little irritated that some out of date institutional affiliations (Boise State and George Fox University) are mentioned in the excerpt from Publishers Weekly, but hey, at least the title and my name are spelled correctly, and that's what's most important.

posted by Clayton at 8:34 PM

http://www.claytoncramer.com/weblog/200 ... 1311523262

Link to the Book

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have a Barnes and Nobel gift card waiting for it.

4. Malum Prohibitum

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Stopped by B&N today and found out it wont be on their shelves until the first week of February. :evil:

6. Malum Prohibitum

Mine already arrived :D

Looks pretty good so far . . .

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

did you order it from Amazon or somewhere else?

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I am consumed with books right now. I got about eight books for Christmas, plus all the text books I am going to be reading.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I take it that was to the amazon part and not to the somewhere else part.

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I just ordered it. Says it should be here friday.

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Mine came in today.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Cramer will be on the G. Gordon Liddy show to discuss the book.

DATE: February 16, 2007

TIME: 10:45 AM to 11:30 PM

Sirius Satellate radio carries this on channel 144 (Patriot).

13. Malum Prohibitum

So, did anybody else listen to it today? He was on for an hour.

But nobody showed up for his book signing.

14. Malum Prohibitum

New York Times review

Did you know that in New York City through 1969 virtually all the public high schools had riflery teams?

Thousands of students carried their rifles on subways, buses and streets on their way to school, when they went to practice in the afternoon and on their way home. And until 1963, all commercial pilots were required to carry guns and were allowed to carry guns until 1987.

Gun laws have certainly changed over time.

Today towns such as Kennesaw, Ga., Greenfeld, Idaho, and Geuda Springs, Kan., which all require residents to own guns, are considered odd. But Clayton Cramer's terrific new book, "Armed America," shows that, in fact, gun ownership has been deeply woven into this country's fabric since the colonial period.

Cramer proves that guns aren't inherently the problem. In our day, criminals may have replaced Indians as a danger facing most citizens, but it may also shock many readers to learn how comfortable Americans once were with their guns.

In colonial times, as Cramer argues, people didn't own guns just for hunting. Numerous laws mandated that people have guns for personal defense and defense of the community, at home, while traveling and even in church.

Heads of households, whether men or women, were required to have a gun at home and fines of up to a month's wages were imposed on those who failed to meet this requirement.

In some states such as Maryland, fines were paid directly to inspectors so that authorities had a strong incentive to check. The only people exempt from these rules were Quakers, some indentured servants or, in the South, blacks.

Fear of attack by Indians and England's European enemies meant that people were required to own and carry guns when traveling, though sometimes older people were exempted.

At least six colonies required people to have guns with them at church. Church officials were required to check parishioners when they arrived for services to ensure they had a gun. Clergymen were required to have guns, too. Contrast that with the political firestorms that erupt these days when states merely let churches decide whether concealed-handgun permit holders can carry guns on church property.

In our day, only about 45 percent of households own a gun, whereas gun ownership in Colonial America was much higher, as measured by probate records. Guns were bequeathed to the next generation in about 70 percent of cases.

The fascinating firsthand historical accounts that Cramer provides indicate that guns were cheap, readily available and essentially everywhere. Given America's historical amnesia, Cramer's book helps to remind us about that part of our history many now find improbable.

John R. Lott Jr. is the author of "The Bias Against Guns."

15. Malum Prohibitum

Think this is relevant to the DC Circuit Court's musing that church carry might be regulated without running afoul of the Second Amendment?

16. Sharky

Sharky New Member

i really need to get this book!

17. Malum Prohibitum

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

"At least six colonies required people to have guns with them at church. Church officials were required to check parishioners when they arrived for services to ensure they had a gun. Clergymen were required to have guns, too."

Nice.