Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When will the new bills surface and when will lobbying for them start? I was figuring about a month or so?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Better be a 'Katrina' law in there real fast. I'm getting fed up.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They will probably over ride sb291

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,890 Posts
I don't think that bills can even be "prefiled" until 30 days prior to the start of the session.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Georgia lawmakers already filing bills for next year
By late Monday afternoon, state lawmakers had filed 24 bills and eight constitutional amendments with the House clerk’s office.
////
Monday was the first day lawmakers could start filing bills before the Jan. 10 legislative session. No legislation had been filed in the Secretary of the Senate office by late Monday afternoon.
http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia_elections_ ... tions_news

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,087 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks SeaJay,
That is getting scary already and I think my mind is beginning to atrophy looking at all of the other bills.
markhk

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Sure would be nice to see employment protection restored to troops serving in Georgia State Defense Force.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Bendrr said:
Sure would be nice to see employment protection restored to troops serving in Georgia State Defense Force.
This.

I'm not big on the government butting in but I suppose the GSDF should have whatever protections the national guard has while on state active-duty.

·
69,217 Posts
HB 5

LC 28 5293

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT
To amend Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to offenses against public order and safety, so as to provide a short title; to provide for legislative intent; to repeal Article 4, relating to dangerous instrumentalities and practices, in its entirety; to provide for related matters; to provide an effective date; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF GEORGIA:

SECTION 1.This Act shall be known and may be cited as the "Freedom of Choice and Security Act."

SECTION 2.The General Assembly makes the following findings of fact:

• (1) Our founding fathers, in the unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America, acknowledged that the purpose of civil government is to secure God-given rights;
    (2) As such, civil governments are to punish the criminal acts that deprive their citizens of their God-given rights to life, liberty, and property;
    (3) The mere potential to deprive someone of life, liberty, or property should never be considered a crime in a free and just society;
    (4) Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in material objects; and
    (5) Since objects or "instrumentalities" in and of themselves are not dangerous or evil, in a free and just society, the civil government should not ban or restrict their possession or use.

SECTION 3.Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to offenses against public order and safety, is amended by repealing Article 4, relating to dangerous instrumentalities and practices, in its entirety.

SECTION 4.This Act shall become effective upon its approval by the Governor or upon its becoming law without such approval.

SECTION 5.All laws and parts of laws in conflict with this Act are repealed.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,087 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
HB 5

LC 28 5293

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT
To amend Chapter 11 of Title 16 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to offenses against public order and safety, so as to provide a short title; to provide for legislative intent; to repeal Article 4, relating to dangerous instrumentalities and practices, in its entirety; to provide for related matters; to provide an effective date; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.
And the odds are?

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
Three bills I'd like to see:

--Get out of the left lane unless you're turning left or passing.

--Georgia government has to do business with Georgians, in Georgia. In case you didn't know, your boat registration is contracted out-of-state, in Maryland, by the DNR. This makes me wonder what other business we're giving to outside economies.

--Emissions testing deletion.

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
HB5 seems to be a waste of time. Last session we had a bill in the house that eliminated carry restrictions except jails and court rooms. Municipalities noted that they would have to put metal detectors at each court room since they couldn't use a single checkpoint that would stop carry in the hallways. My point is that bills that radically change the carry laws or that have unintended side effects are not likely to get far. I hope to see a bill that carefully targets the remaining problem areas, but is not so sweeping that it doesn't have a chance. Things are so much better now than they were 2 years ago. It would be nice to see them move ahead.

Things that would be nice to change (and that I think have a chance of passing):
  • Eliminate or narrow the restriction on buildings that house a govt entity. If necessary leave a restriction on carrying to an active session of a city/county council meeting.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
  • Eliminate the restrictions on GWL holders carrying to K-12 and college campuses. A compromise might need to be made that continues to prohibit carry by students. People are so sensitive about schools. A few years of problem-free carry by non-students might convince people to remove any special restrictions on students. Let's get our foot in the door.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
  • Eliminate restriction on carrying to polling place.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
  • Katrina law.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
  • Airport carry.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
  • Require govt locations that prohibit carry to provide lockers.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
  • Establish that a private business or govt location that prohibits firearms has a duty to provide armed security for the safety of its disarmed visitors.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
  • Require chief LEOs to sign NFA paperwork.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
  • Establish that private groups that rent government property may not prohibit legal carry on government property.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
  • Explicitly establish that it is never illegal to record on-duty or uniformed government workers. Not directly firearm related, but is indirectly.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
  • Establish a BAC (something like 0.08 or 0.1) above which it would be illegal to carry. I know it is heresy to suggest a new restriction, but it is clear to me that at some BAC, carrying is criminally negligent. I would rather have it spelled out than have police use vague law to handle the situation.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
I just want to see GCO fight battles that are potentially winnable. While many here might want to fight to allow minors to carry NFA firearms in nuclear power plants, it isn't going to happen this year so let's to our sights on a target we can hit. If GCO gets 3 or 4 of the above items, I would consider it a successful session.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Kingfish said:
cpelliott said:
If GCO gets 3 or 4 of the above items, I would consider it a successful session.
How about..."If the CITIZENS of Georgia get..."?
Nothing will be passed unless an organization like GCO pushes for it. In my quote, "get" refers to successful action, not the benefits of our rights. Let's not play word games.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
cpelliott said:
Kingfish said:
cpelliott said:
If GCO gets 3 or 4 of the above items, I would consider it a successful session.
How about..."If the CITIZENS of Georgia get..."?
Nothing will be passed unless an organization like GCO pushes for it. In my quote, "get" refers to successful action, not the benefits of our rights. Let's not play word games.
As long as what GCO get is what is important then I guess it does not matter...To me it DOES matter.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
cpelliott said:
[*]Establish that a private business or govt location that prohibits firearms has a duty to provide armed security for the safety of its disarmed visitors.
This will never happen in GA. Private businesses would throw a fit. When laws cost money like this, you can forget about it.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
cpelliott said:
[*]Establish a BAC (something like 0.08 or 0.1) above which it would be illegal to carry. I know it is heresy to suggest a new restriction, but it is clear to me that at some BAC, carrying is criminally negligent. I would rather have it spelled out than have police use vague law to handle the situation.[/list]
No new restrictions, period!

There are currently plently of ways that the police and private businesses can handle people legally and illegally carrying while drunk and causing a disturbance.

Besides, since the law changed, has anyone heard any horror stories of drunk GWL holders carrying out in public causing issues?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts