new bills for next session

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by patrick4588, Nov 3, 2010.

1. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

When will the new bills surface and when will lobbying for them start? I was figuring about a month or so?

2. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Better be a 'Katrina' law in there real fast. I'm getting fed up.

3. patrick4588

patrick4588 New Member

They will probably over ride sb291

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I don't think that bills can even be "prefiled" until 30 days prior to the start of the session.

5. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

Georgia lawmakers already filing bills for next year
    http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia_elections_ ... tions_news

6. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

7. markhk2

markhk2 New Member

Thanks SeaJay,
    That is getting scary already and I think my mind is beginning to atrophy looking at all of the other bills.
    markhk

8. Bendrr

Bendrr Active Member

Sure would be nice to see employment protection restored to troops serving in Georgia State Defense Force.

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

This.

I'm not big on the government butting in but I suppose the GSDF should have whatever protections the national guard has while on state active-duty.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

HB 5

11. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

And the odds are?

12. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

Three bills I'd like to see:

--Get out of the left lane unless you're turning left or passing.

--Georgia government has to do business with Georgians, in Georgia. In case you didn't know, your boat registration is contracted out-of-state, in Maryland, by the DNR. This makes me wonder what other business we're giving to outside economies.

--Emissions testing deletion.

13. Viking

Viking New Member

14. cpelliott

cpelliott New Member

HB5 seems to be a waste of time. Last session we had a bill in the house that eliminated carry restrictions except jails and court rooms. Municipalities noted that they would have to put metal detectors at each court room since they couldn't use a single checkpoint that would stop carry in the hallways. My point is that bills that radically change the carry laws or that have unintended side effects are not likely to get far. I hope to see a bill that carefully targets the remaining problem areas, but is not so sweeping that it doesn't have a chance. Things are so much better now than they were 2 years ago. It would be nice to see them move ahead.

Things that would be nice to change (and that I think have a chance of passing):
    • Eliminate or narrow the restriction on buildings that house a govt entity. If necessary leave a restriction on carrying to an active session of a city/county council meeting.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
    • Eliminate the restrictions on GWL holders carrying to K-12 and college campuses. A compromise might need to be made that continues to prohibit carry by students. People are so sensitive about schools. A few years of problem-free carry by non-students might convince people to remove any special restrictions on students. Let's get our foot in the door.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
    • Eliminate restriction on carrying to polling place.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
    • Katrina law.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
    • Airport carry.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
    • Require govt locations that prohibit carry to provide lockers.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
    • Establish that a private business or govt location that prohibits firearms has a duty to provide armed security for the safety of its disarmed visitors.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
    • Require chief LEOs to sign NFA paperwork.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
    • Establish that private groups that rent government property may not prohibit legal carry on government property.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
    • Explicitly establish that it is never illegal to record on-duty or uniformed government workers. Not directly firearm related, but is indirectly.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
    • Establish a BAC (something like 0.08 or 0.1) above which it would be illegal to carry. I know it is heresy to suggest a new restriction, but it is clear to me that at some BAC, carrying is criminally negligent. I would rather have it spelled out than have police use vague law to handle the situation.[/*:m:zb6qbmog]
    I just want to see GCO fight battles that are potentially winnable. While many here might want to fight to allow minors to carry NFA firearms in nuclear power plants, it isn't going to happen this year so let's to our sights on a target we can hit. If GCO gets 3 or 4 of the above items, I would consider it a successful session.

15. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member

How about..."If the CITIZENS of Georgia get..."?

16. cpelliott

cpelliott New Member

Nothing will be passed unless an organization like GCO pushes for it. In my quote, "get" refers to successful action, not the benefits of our rights. Let's not play word games.

17. Kingfish

Kingfish New Member

As long as what GCO get is what is important then I guess it does not matter...To me it DOES matter.

18. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

This will never happen in GA. Private businesses would throw a fit. When laws cost money like this, you can forget about it.

19. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

No new restrictions, period!

There are currently plently of ways that the police and private businesses can handle people legally and illegally carrying while drunk and causing a disturbance.

Besides, since the law changed, has anyone heard any horror stories of drunk GWL holders carrying out in public causing issues?