New AWB text is up

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by viper32cm, Feb 19, 2007.

1. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/C?c ... c110txs4bC

Worse than the one before, but I don't have the text of the old AWB to compare it to. Specific language bans the transfer of assault weapons with large capacity ammunition feeding devices. Also the named list of "assault weapons" includes "duplicates thereof" or something like that.

And oh yeah, breaking it will get you 10 years in prison, minimum. Glad to know that space will be well used while rapists, murders, and etc. roam free.

Fight this one folks.

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Link does not work

3. rajl

rajl New Member

Just go to the main site and search yourself for HB1022 as the bill number.

I just read it myself. Annoys the hell out of me to no end.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

A HiPoint 9mm carbine is an "assault rifle"?

5. rajl

rajl New Member

So is an M1 Carbine. Buy from the CMP while you can!

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

".................`(F) A semiautomatic pistol that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine, and has--

`(i) a second pistol grip;

`(ii) a threaded barrel;

`(iii) a barrel shroud; or

`(iv) the capacity to accept a detachable magazine at a location outside of the pistol grip.

`(G) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.........."

A pistol with a removable mag can hold more than 10, but a pistol with a fixed mag can't? Am I reading that right? Can anyone here name a semiauto pistol with a fixed mag? My Hi Point Carbine and an M1 are "assault weapons", but a PLR16 isn't? These things make less sense than my typing does........

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Here's a working link to it.

HR1022

8. pro2am

pro2am New Member

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

How Would "We" Define 'Em ?

We all know what the gun grabbers want to ban. And we know that gun manufacturers and importers will modify existing guns to comply with the terms of the new law while still making the "banned" gun legally available.

So is it even possible to come up with a workable definition of what is an "assault weapon" ? I know that we don't want such a law to be passed, period, but just as an intellectual exercise, IS IT POSSIBLE?
    How can you ban an AR-15 and clones and duplicates? How much modification should be required before you don't have an AR-15 anymore. Obviously taking the flash hider off the muzzle or replacing the ventilated handguard with a solid one doesn't change the basic design of the rifle, or its lethality. Would it still be an "AR-15 clone" if it didn't use detachable magazines, but rather had its 20 or 30-round magazine welded in place, so that you had to pivot the upper away from the lower to reload it? Would it still be an AR-15 clone if it did not use standard military surplus M16 parts, which all the AR's to date have used (except some of the full auto fire control parts)? Is an AK-47 still an AK even if it is equipped with a scope and a thumbhole stock? What if it were rechambered for a different caliber, maybe one with a more civilian heritage (maybe .351 Win. Self-Loading)? What if it were made in the USA by some major gun company instead of being made by the government arsenal of some third-world country?

10. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Just look at what the guys from calguns.net have done with their AWB... they've basically ripped it apart, shredded it and made it their own. They still can't have the good stuff like hi-cap mags and pistol grips, but they HAVE made do. It's retarded and ridiculous, their entire situation, but my point is that they've fought the law since it's nearly impossible to 'define' an 'assault weapon' without including everything other than a musket... which is what they actually may try to do next time... then they'll get an even nicer surprise than they got in 94. Or else we'll just get lazy and fold, again.

Same ol' person introducing this bill. No co-sponsors. Probably won't move out of committee.

I'm too busy emailing companies over the whole Zumbo incident and our representatives over the iraq war policy thing to worry about it tonight.

:flame: Hank Johnson

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Zumbo Comments read into the congressional record:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin ... 007_record

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Some people say give the guy a second chance...I say crucify him.