New ATL police chief Turner wants to retire, then be rehired

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by TippinTaco, Sep 30, 2010.

1. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/new-atl-police-chief-647699.htmlI don't even have to say anything in regards to this. You shouldn't be able to retire then be rehired to collect pension and a paycheck... This is a @#[email protected]#[email protected] scandal and the mayor of ATL is going to allow it to happen because he's a brother. Just because we all wish we could do this, doesn't mean it should be allowed...

2. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

3. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

With the expiration of the tax breaks maybe it does not make financial sense for the Chief.

But I cannot see how unless the retirement pension is an annuity based on statistical years left to live (like soc sec).

4. samman23

samman23 New Member

I personally don't have a problem with this. If he earned his retirement pension he should be able to take it. If he wants to work after retirement he can do that too. If he takes a salary that he and his employer are happy with that's their business.

on the other hand, I don't live in Atlanta or pay taxes there. In fact I stay out of the perimeter as much as possible.

5. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

Then I guess it would be ok if you didn't pay the taxes to pay his pension and his pay check. The guy is already being paid $200,000 to do his job. Now pay him out another $100,000 for his pension.. Give me a break. The city is cutting jobs of hundreds of fire fighters, city workers, cutting back on repairing the crappy water system and the list goes on. The point of retirement is to be able to quit working and be able to enjoy the rest of your life, not milk the system for more money in an economy thats not recovered. His pension he would be collecting at this point would be enought to hire back several fire fighters that lost their jobs or put someone else back to work.

6. samman23

samman23 New Member

even if I did live in the perimeter, I'd see it as a contractual agreements. If he earned his retirement, he has the right to take it. If he and the city want to continue a employment agreement past that, it's their business. If the city did not rehire him back, they'd still be paying his retirement and paying another police chief 200k. If the city can hire a better police chief for less, they can do that too.

7. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

I don't think its in his contract that he can retire to receive his pension and then be rehired to continue getting paid by the city. You have a valid point though. but I doubt they would rehire another chief at 200k, they would try to budget that one I'm sure.

8. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

Teachers and school system officials have been doing this for years. Big Whoop.

9. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

Turner decided not to retire and then be rehired because when he does retire as chief his pension will be based on his salary as chief(almost twice as much as it would have been ) :shock: The tax payers of ATLANTA would have been better off if he retired now