Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obama Administration's New Proposed Gun Regulation for Border States Met With Bipartisan Dissent

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/01 ... ipartisan/

The requirement that semi-auto rifles bought within 5 days to be registered is being fought by members of his own party.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ha! Even his own party can't rationalize stupid gun control laws. Obama must think people are so dumb that they can't think of ways to work around gun laws if they want to traffic guns.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Well done, I like the bi-partisan dissent on more power to an already out of control and corrupt organization.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
FTA:
The ATF announced the new proposed regulation last month. The agency was expecting approval from the Office of Management and Budget last week but the White House is still reviewing the request.
Maybe I'm fuzzy on how this is Obama's fault. Call me when the White House approves the proposed regs; Until then I'm curious whose appointees are making the proposal.

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Does anyone honestly believe people are going to gun stores to buy crates full of the kinds of weapons used by cartels and then secretly taking them across the border? I mean, honestly? :screwy:

I guess so...
The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence strongly supports the proposal.

"It makes sense that law enforcement should be alerted if someone is buying five, 10 or 100 assault weapons, when it's likely that those guns could be headed to drug cartels in Mexico," said Paul Helmke, president of the Brady Campaign.
"It will give ATF the same amount of information about people who buy military-style assault weapons in bulk that they already have had for more than 40 years about people who buy handguns in bulk," he said in a statement.
I do not believe civilian gun stores sell military style assault weapons. I've been in plenty of gun stores and I have yet to see a minigun for sale.

Let's look at that "...in bulk..." thing too...
,,,would require about 8,500 gun dealers in four states â€" California, New Mexico, Arizona and Texas â€" to report gun sales of two or more high-powered rifles sold within five consecutive business days.
Buy three rifles over the span of a week -- yeah, that's "in bulk" all right. :screwy:

Ah, here's the real reason for the opposition...
"Expanding this power by executive decree would be an end run around Congress."

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
A few people inside the ATF that are getting tired of the corruption and out of control operations have all but proven to some VERY reputable people that the ATF itself, Agents with consent of their management, are smuggling GUNS down to Mexico, ILLEGALLY, behind the Mexican government's back.

Now just what in the HECK kind of positive result is this going to have on America, Mexico, and our international relations? NONE.

In fact, there is also good evidence that one of these smuggled guns was later used to kill the latest border patrol agent. Shady, shady, shady.

I sure as HECK hope the ATF have to answer for this in Congressional Hearings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts