Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Proud GCO member.
7,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Didn't see this up already, so here it is.

Last week, three bills were introduced in the Georgia Senate that would unnecessarily infringe upon your Second Amendment rights.

Senate Bill 67, introduced by Senator Emanuel Jones (D-10), would prohibit the carrying of firearms in all public buildings.

Senate Bill 68, also introduced by Senator Jones, would add a required training component to the application for a weapons carry license, making the process more arduous and unnecessary for law-abiding citizens.

Senate Bill 73, introduced by Senator Steve Henson (D-41), would allow an individual to be detained by law enforcement for the purpose of investigating whether such individual has a weapons carry license. Under current Georgia law, every license holder must have their valid weapons carry license in their immediate possession at all times when carrying their firearm, but they cannot be detained for the sole purpose of investigating whether they have a weapons carry license. This bill would change the current law by taking away this critical protection.
https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...un-bills-introduced-in-state-senate-last-week

·
Proud GCO member.
7,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And my email to the Senate Public Safety Committee members

Senator Harper, et.al.

It has come to my attention that Senate Bills 67, 68 and 73 are in
your committee and are currently pending scheduling. I would like to
request that you table discussion on all three bills as they all
infringe on Georgians God given right to self-defense, and the Georgia
Constitution itself.

Regarding SB 67 - The State and/or Municipalities lack the funds and
resources to properly protect all public buildings. As such, to
exclude properly licensed citizens from carrying there is to deprive
them of their right to self-defense in thousands of locations in this
state, locations they are often mandated to visit regularly.

Regarding SB 68 - A training requirement disproportionately affects
the poor and those on fixed incomes, who often live in the most
dangerous neighborhoods. To disarm those who need protection the most
is an uncivilized thing to do. Furthermore, requiring training would
require the development of the infrastructure to provide that
training, a process that could take years. It is neither reasonable
or proper to disarm the citizens of Georgia for years while the
processes to comply with the law are developed.

Regarding SB 73 - In addition to being a blatant violation of our 4th
amendment rights, this is perhaps the most offensive of all three
bills. There is no reason to detain and investigate a citizen who is
not suspected of any crime. Such stops have been ruled
unconstitutional by the court many times, including the licenses
activity of driving a car. As it will undoubtedly be challenged and
overturned in court (at the expense of the Georgia taxpayers), further
consideration of this bill is counterproductive.

Again, I would like to request that you table discussion on all three
bills. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Philip

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,819 Posts
The Democrats are introducing a lot of bills to undo our freedom and right of self-defense.

Can the Republicans do better than merely saying no to those bills on one hand, and trying to undo HB 826 on the other? I feel like they need to show a little more commitment to liberty and introduce some additional solid steps forward.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,619 Posts
What makes you think Republicans are committed to liberty? They are just committed to a different kind of authoritarianism.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
FYI...
"Should people who carry guns be forced to be trained?", Feb 11, 2015 12:32 AM EST, by Chris Shaw -FOX 5 Reporter...
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/28077033/should-people-who-carry-guns-be-forced-to-be-trained

Video... http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/clip/11122473/manditory-gun-training

ATLANTA - A push from some Democrats at the State Capitol that would change the way gun owners get a 'license to carry.' The bill requires people in Georgia to go through a gun training class.

People who support the bill, call it common sense. People who oppose it, call it gun control. And the question is pretty simple: Should people with carry licenses, be forced to have gun training?

·
Senior Mumbler
6,488 Posts
I think many anti-gun politicians have decided to go on the offensive instead of waiting to be on the defensive and that's why we've seen so many antigun bills introduced so soon.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think many anti-gun politicians have decided to go on the offensive instead of waiting to be on the defensive and that's why we've seen so many antigun bills introduced so soon.
My suggestion would be to completely rewrite them into pro gun bills in committee, that'll learn 'em.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
How about turning the training requirement one into a tax break for those who seek voluntary training?
I'd prefer training not having anything to do with the license. It's a foot in the door.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts